possibly OT: players reject region 0 DVD

One of my recent SACD purchases included a bonus region 0 "making of" DVD. A Sony BD player and DVD player both rejected the disk, on the basis of region incompatibility.

This is decidedly odd, as region 0 disks are supposed to play on any player. (Right?)

What am I missing?

Please don't turn this simple question into a tsimmes or megillah. Thanks.

--
"We already know the answers -- we just haven't asked the right
questions." -- Edwin Land

"Region 0", if truly so, should be region - *less*, and as you say, any player should handle them without issue. I have several demo and test discs which are region 0 designated, and I have never found a player that refused them in the course of my daily repair activities. Why yours should reject them, is a mystery ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I'll contact Sony and Alia Vox. Maybe Jordi Savall will drop by to check. (heh, heh, heh...)

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Maybe the disc isn't detected as 0. Stick it in a PC dvd player and use DVD Identifier to see what region info the disc actually gives.

Did the BD of DVD player give you a more specific error? Most allow a change of region up to 4 times. Well I know a PC DVD drives allows this.

Meat Plow

Thank you! I didn't know how to do that.

---------------

I still don't.

I inserted the disk, and it auto-ran without prompting for a region, suggesting that the region was zero (that is, no specified region). I couldn't find anything in the Roxio applet to identify the region.

Runs fine on a 10-year-old computer, by the way.

The standalone DVD player which said specifically that the region was unacceptable.

My Plextor PX-708A was bought primarily to burn CDs. I've never played a DVD in it, so I've never had to select a region. (I think it allows three changes.)

By the way, Sony has already responded, and as you might guess, the answer had nothing whatever to do with the question.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in news:ii22t2$1vk$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Now that you have the computer playing movies is a great time to dump all the DVD nonsense, learn how to download, decode and assemble the thousands and thousands of movies posted to alt.binaries.movies.divx, right here on usenet, every day. Does the big TV have a 3-row "computer" input to plug the old computer into?

None of the DivX/XviD movies on alt.binaries.movies.divx have restrictions on them, except when some jerk posts passworded RAR file sets. Every movie of the 2010 Academy Awards and LOTS of them that should have been nominated are posted to that newsgroup, continuously.

You're gonna need more Terabytes....(c;]

BTW, the finest movie of 2010, "Majesty" from the Netherlands is posted there, in Dutch with hard-coded English subtitles. I think it beats "The King's Speech" by miles. If your interested in learning how, it's easy with a few low cost or free programs for any Windows box.

I bet I can't rent Majesty, in English or Dutch or Urdu in America....pity.

Did I mention you're gonna need more Terabytes?

Reply to
Fred

The "big TV" is a 60" KURO, and I rarely play anything other than Blu-rays on it. DVDs are largely reserved for my 36" flat-face CRT Sony IDTV in the bedroom.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

It's because the disk wasn't finalized you need to put in in your computer's DVD-RW drive and finalize it

Reply to
Sitre Josephenne Magana