Getting white flicker spot on Sony TRV460 camcorder D8 tapes?

Camcorder: Sony DCR-TRV460 Digital-8 camcorder

Problem: When I first start recording onto D8 tape, everything is just fine. The image on the viewfinder is perfect, and when I play back the digital tape, the image on the TV is also perfect, as well as the sound. However, after a few minutes of filming, a white flickering spot begins to appear on the viewfinder, and is also on the tape as it shows up on the TV replay. The sound is OK. The white spot gets progressively worse, but you can still get a somewhat useable recording - only with the annoying white flickering thing on the rest of the tape. It looks like someone is shining a dim flashlight into the lens.

I REALLY love this camera - the resulting DVD+R copies were GREAT - so I would like to keep using it if we can easily fix it.

If anyone is familiar with said problem, please post the solution, and/or drop me an email to: Gene snipped-for-privacy@thegateway.net

I am assuming that the camera is now somewhat defective - so I'm thinking about getting a replacement that writes to the crummy little 3" DVD+-RWs - so I can shoot a lot of 30 minute DVDs, then copy them over to larger DVDs on the Liteon 5005 via Firewire.

Question: What is the BEST DVD camcorder that will write to the 3" DVD rewritable DVD-RW media? I could care less about an LCD display - but I guess old timers like me are in the minority:-) Just want to end up with the BEST large DVD disk with the best video & sound. I would like to stay in the $500 range.

BTW: I will most likely put this camera on eBay. LOL - and I have LITERALLY hundreds, possibly a thousand or so, of used

8mm analog camcorder tapes for sale as well. They worked great, just switched to D8 tapes.

THANKS, Gene

Reply to
Gene