Dumb Q: Why few shottky bridges?

ok at=20

at=20

you=20

I think this thermal sensitivity is exactly why you so seldom see=20 Schottky power bridges. The same 4 devices, that work spread out over=20 a square inch of board, go into thermal runaway if packed into a=20 single package, unless heroic heat sinking is added.

Reply to
John Popelish

I think this thermal sensitivity is exactly why you so seldom see Schottky power bridges. The same 4 devices, that work spread out over a square inch of board, go into thermal runaway if packed into a single package, unless heroic heat sinking is added.

Many Shottky-barrier diode data sheets I've seen carry an ESD warning, so I imagine mains transients would be a real concern if SB diodes were used on the secondary of a mains transformer!

Reply to
ian field

Hello George,

Thanks. The 485 is a nice one, 350MHz AFAIR. I do remember that they got quite hot and this somehow never seemed right.

Not exactly fun but every time I have to repair lab gear I learn something.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Hello George,

Look at the MURS series. Diodes like the MURS120 can be had for well under that cost. Used it many times, no problems whatsoever.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Hello Ban,

I suggest that you take a look at more modern devices such as the ONSemi MURS series. Who'd use a 5819 these days?

Bombs? I haven't counted how many units have been produced to date. Probably six digit over about 10 years. No problems with the Schottkys.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Hello Ban,

Ignore my previous reply. The MURS isn't a Schottky. Can't remember the one I used back in the 1993 design, clients sometimes require handing over or destroying all docs when done.

Anyway, check out the ONSemi MBR16100. That would be a heavy duty example. No thermal runaway there I'd think.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Hello George,

Ignore previous reply, mixed something up. But ONSemi is still a good source. Take a look at their MBR series (for example MBR16100).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

"Joerg" a écrit dans le message de news:WvCmg.27105$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...

Onsemi's Schottkys are MBRS, not MURS.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Maybe you didn't hear anything because the company had chosen a new consultant? :-) But you always answer with these acecdotical stories of your carriere, almost like JL. I tell you, I do not believe them, and I doubt you have ever used any Schottkys if you even dont know these simple facts you find in every datasheet. If you look at a modern device like the MBR20100 (Onsemi) you can see, that above 30deg. the losses by reverse current are higher than those by forward current at rated voltage and at 80° without heatsink the derating allows zero forward current.

--
ciao Ban
Apricale, Italy

Ban, Try opening up almost any PC power supply and lookup the parts numbers on the rectifier diodes, all of them. They're sometimes plain diodes, but often on the secondary side they're Schottky. Lesee here, picking two diodes I've salvaged, at random:

BYS28-45 - Schottky 20 amp dual diode

D83-004 Schottky 40 amp dual diode.

.... hmmm... about 600,000,000 PC power supplies made.... I've opened up about a dozen of them, and never seen a faulty diode. Lots of frozen fans, popped capacitors, blown fuses, never a blown schottky diode.

So hundreds of PC power supply designers are wrong, 600 million PC power supplies are defying your laws of physics, and you're right about schottky.s hmmmmm......

Reply to
Ancient_Hacker

What do you argue? Where are these diodes? In 5V and 3,3V supplies. And why do you think they need TO247 cases. And how long does a cycle last there? I didn't say Schottky is bad, you misunderstood me. If a designer knows what he is doing and knows the shortcomings of the parts he can design a perfectly reliable supply. You were asking the admittedly dumb question about *bridge rectifiers*. Have you ever found one in those 6000000 computer PS? And I have answered it comprehensivly for anyone. Do the calcs for 3.85V and 5.55V squarewaves and you will see it's well under the point of no return, even at higher temperatures. I'm happy to have pointed out something new for you, and looking at some datasheets I also had to correct my understanding a bit, I admit. But maybe my discourse could explain why so many of those TEK supplys have failed. Just read again my posts from the beginning and tell me what I told you wrongly, I think it was consistent.

--
ciao Ban
Apricale, Italy

Well, the ON-Semi is only specified to 40V, even worse. BTW did you find out what was causing the limitation of your HP-scope to the positive range. I'm also still waiting for those screenshots you wanted to do with your TEK scope.

--
ciao Ban
Apricale, Italy

I want to explain to you why I replied to Joerg this way. He bashed the absolutely valid and intelligent answer of Sophie.

"A shottky bridge will not run any cooler than a regular bridge when it is rectifying 50 or 60 Hz (line or mains) power.... the schotky application is for high frequency switching power supplies and the like where the faster recovery time of the schotky is required."

So please do not interfere and rather learn to spell "Schottky" in the first place (not that others also should).

--
ciao Ban
Apricale, Italy

Hello Ban,

They still use me. A lot.

You don't have to believe me. I can live with that ;-)

At 30C IR is about 0.1-0.2mA. At 100C it's 1-2mA and I don't run my Schottky designs that high. Oh, but you don't believe I do Schottky designs. Anyhow, where's the problem?

BTW, if you want really low IR look at figure 3 in the MBR16100 data sheet.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Provided you are rectifying a low voltage at a high current, the Schottky diode will be be more efficient than the PN diode, both at high frequencies and also at low frequencies. The advantage of the Schottky will of course be greater at high frequencies. Whether or not the diodes are connected in a bridge does not alter this situation. As you pointed out, Schottky diodes are inferior for use at high voltages.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones