Question about Kester no-clean fluxes for hand SMT rework.

Hi all,

A few years ago, someone gave me some Kester no-clean flux that was poured into an unmarked bottle. It's been perfect for those times when I can't or don't want to use the brown gooey stuff. Now I need to purchase some more but I'm not sure which flux I've been using (and I like it). I'm hoping someone will know roughly which type of flux this is and/or make a suggestion for something similar.

FYI - this flux is being used only for hand solder/rework of SMT designs and will be (is) dispensed from a small "needle bottle".

What is known about the flux in question:

-It's a Kester "no clean" product.

-It's clear like water and has similar viscosity.

-It burns away relatively quickly when soldering so I use a lot.

-It has a faint smell *a little bit* like model airplane glue but not that strong. May be a tinge of alcohol flavor in there too.

-It's smells more when buring away during soldering but not badly.

-It leaves only a slight residue and that cleans up nicely with plain 'ol 70% Isopropyl alcohol (possibly just as well with water but I haven't tried it).

-I was from a batch/product line from approx 5 years ago.

Current Kester products that I believe are it or similar - from

# 959 - Alcohol based "low solids, no clean" # 951 - Alcohol based "rosin free, low solids, no clean" # 977 - VOC free "VOC free, no clean"

All are in stock with Contact East and all are about $30 a gallon.

I don't know what VOC means but I don't think I care. The smell is fine. I'm really interested in it's basic "no clean" qualities. I clean with a little with isopropyl but this should be for cosmetic purposes only and not mandatory.

Any suggestions on which of those three (or other) would be the best match to the "mystery flux" I've described?

Any input is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks much,

Buck Buchanan if replying direct, remove "EYEH8SPAM" from snipped-for-privacy@cox.net

Reply to