hooking 2 playstation controllers together

I want to combine the functionality of two PlayStation controllers. I want the digital pot controllers (mini joysticks) from one controller and the button configuration for the other. I don't want the controllers physically combined just functionally. I tried cutting the cords on the both controllers and splicing them together into one plug. When I tried to use the controller they were completely dead.

I am a pretty sure that the solder joints on the splices were good and the wires on the two controllers seemed to follow the same color scheme though one of the controllers had one more wire which I hooked to the correct pin-out. I used a lead free silver solder with no flux but the contacts seemed good.

My best guesses as to why it does not work are:

1) The PlayStation does not put out enough power for both controllers.

2) The controller put out digital instead of analogue signals and they are interfering with each-other.

Does anybody know why this attempt failed or have a suggestion as to how I can get the joysticks on one controller to work with the buttons on a separate controller. I only have basic equipment and a small budget but there is a good electronics store and a radioshack in driving distance.

Reply to
michalchik

Thank God I've never even been even slightly interested in such a futile endeavour. Tell me, just how important is a Sony Play Station in seeking your life's fulfilment ?

Have you ever considered taking a walk (or bicycle ride) in the countryside or even attempting to 'expand' your mind by reading 'literature' for example ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

How is it any worse than your lifetime fulfilment of writing useless comments in sci.electronics.*?

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

OUCH! I haven't seen a beating like that since Rodney King.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

I guess I better be careful then or he might sue me for defamation of character...

Oh nevermind!!! I just found a nickle on the floor. I'm sure that will cover any damage I could do.

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

Wouldn't that be "Delamination of a donkey"?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

you can't just hook 2 together like that

As far as I am aware, there are clock and data lines. The pad is intelligent. It decodes which button is pressed and sends a signal back.

Reply to
Dave

That's right on. The fact that there are so many buttons on the controller yet so few pins on its connector should be some indication that data is being serialized instead of read directly. As far as I'm aware, the last time potentiometers in controllers were read directly over the line was in pre-NES times (think PONG paddles).

M2C PSM

Reply to
Peter S. May

Lol, I read about a novel a week. I read Jane Eyre Last week,. I am reading a scifi novel this week. I will start on war and peace in about a week. The reason I wan't to hook the two playstions together is because I have an idea for a new piece of exercise equipment. I don't actually play with a playstaion very often. It is my nephews.

Reply to
michalchik

quoted text -

So on the pad the buttons are not simple switch closures? The next thing I was going to try is splicing the pad button output to the hand controller connections. I know that the hand controller buttons are simple switch closures because a ling time ago I created my own pad controller before they became commercially availble.

Reply to
michalchik

Yes, the controller uses digital signaling, the easiest way to do what you want would be to disconnect analogue joystick parts of one controller and run wires to the same parts in the other controller.

The hard way would be to build a device that can interpret and combine the digital signals in such a way that the console sees only a single controller.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

We are here to *HELP* people, not dissuade them into doing thisese projects. And most people who do electronics do already have expanded minds in order to do this stuff, thanks. And BTW, i also ride my bicycle.

Reply to
Mr Linux Guy