Driving an IBM POS 2X20 Pole Display

I have a few IBM POS pole displays. They are 2x20 and are fluorescent and the part number is 61P5766. They have a four pin jack that is labeled 4 which I assume means it plugs into port 4 on the pos computer.I believe this display is used on the IBM 4694 POS system. I don't know if it uses RS-232 or RS-485. I would like to be able to drive these displays from a PIC microcontroller but I have no idea what is required to communicate with it. I have a few LTC485 tranceivers if they are indeed RS-485. I would greatly appreciate anyone having information on how this can be done.

Thank You, Bob

Reply to
Robert Wells

In message , Robert Wells writes

Why don't you strip down the display and see if you can track down datasheets for the chips on board, you should be able to at least make a guess at how to drive them from that.

--
Clint Sharp
Reply to

More than likely it's a standard RS-232 serial connection. All the pole displays I've ever encountred have been that way.