which MCU to pick

Hi Folk

After a quick scan to look for a MCU for a particular task, I have two
specific MCUs in mind, they are:

Atmel ATMega32L and Motorola MC68HC908AP32.

Between the two, is there anyone out there who has experience in
those? Which one is better in terms of debugging, and development
environment and support?  Also, speedwise, which is more code
efficient?  Any compiler to recommend?

Of course, I am developing in high level C environment.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Calvin Chan

calvin snipped-for-privacy@post1.com

Re: which MCU to pick
On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 11:35:05 +0800, Calvin Chan

Well for the ATMega at least gcc is available, which I have used quite
succesfully on the AVR series, including the ATMega32. There are quite
a lot of community support for the AVR using the gcc tools.
As for the 68HC908, I cannot comment as I have not used this family
before.

Regards
   Anton Erasmus

Re: which MCU to pick
Anton,

For the '08, Bytecraft is the only place I know of to get a C compiler.

Dave Bardon, Avocet

Re: which MCU to pick
On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 13:26:34 -0400, the renowned "Avocet Systems, Inc"

Also Cosmic, Metrowerks.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Re: which MCU to pick

Also Imagecraft.

Re: which MCU to pick

You *can* program the '08 in C, there are no major warts in the
architecture that make it compiler *un*friendly, but the lack of
general-purpose registers means that compilers tend to use
pseudo-registers on the zero page and subroutines to manipulate them.

Cosmic do a pretty good '08 compiler, given the core's limitations.

The AVR is much more C-friendly, being essentially a "narrow" version of
standard RISC processors.

pete
--
snipped-for-privacy@fenelon.com "there's no room for enigmas in built-up areas"

Re: which MCU to pick
At no cost, you can try out the permanent Special version of Metrowerks
CodeWarrior for the entire HC(S)08 series. In addition, you can evaluate the
full version for 30 days. There are some evaluation boards available at low
cost ($50 to $300, depending upon the chip - I think).

You can either download the entire software (over 700 MB installed) or you
can request a free CD, or both. If you get the CD, also get the free CDs for
the other Motorola chip series available, since the shipping costs would be
the same if there are more than one. The URL for the HC08 is:
http://www.metrowerks.com/MW/Develop/Embedded/HC08/Default.htm

CodeWarrior is fairly simple to use, especially if you follow the tutorials
or the example projects included with the installation.

Gary Schnabl

Re: which MCU to pick

Use the AVR then. There are good C compilers for the HC08, but some of the
things you need to do to make C work on that platform aren't efficient ;)

pete
--
snipped-for-privacy@fenelon.com "there's no room for enigmas in built-up areas"

Site Timeline