serial port data transfer.

If I write a byte to 9-pin serial port will it go through pin 3 serially bit-by-bit or the complete byte will be written together on the different pins? How? Will the value written will sustain there if not overwritten?

Reply to
Anurag Singh Baghel

Yes.

No.

No, because of the serial bit-wise asynchronous transmission. Depending on your serial configuration (mostly 1 startbit, 8 data bits,

1 stopbit) the bits run out in this way, so the last bit ist the stop bit.

For example, see

for more details. Another interresting link is

Regards,

--
Bernhard Roessmann
Don't Fear The Penguins!

it will be trnsfered serily bit-by-bit

No the value will only be written once and will terminate after the stop bit/s

Craig

Reply to
Craig Rodgers

In a normal situation, it will go thru 3 or 2 serially. I'm not sure who invented it, but the laplink or pc anywhere or someone started using multiple wires in the serial bundle to transmit data at faster rates than was possible with a normal serial link. If you have control of both ends, you can do some non-standard things with a standard serial port. mike

21' RV, 400cc Dirt Bike
Police Scanner, LCD overhead projector
Tek 2465, ham radio, 30pS pulser
mike

It will go through on pins 1-8, with pin 9 left over as a spare. That's why its a 9 pin connector. Don't send more than one byte a second because otherwise it will overheat the connector pins and they'll melt together. The value will sustain there until overwritten but will evaporate within a few hours if left alone.

Go get you a book on serial ports if you don't believe me.

Reply to
Harry

Unless you're doing 9-bit serial, like the Intel 8051. Then all 9 pins are used.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  .. Should I get
                                  at               locked in the PRINCIPAL'S

why

I thought bit 9 was used for parity...

Reply to
Blake Henry