serial port data transfer.

If I write a byte to 9-pin serial port will it go through pin 3
serially bit-by-bit or the complete byte will be written together on
the different pins? How? Will the value written will sustain there if
not overwritten?

Re: serial port data transfer.

Yes.

No.

No, because of the serial bit-wise asynchronous transmission.
Depending on your serial configuration (mostly 1 startbit, 8 data bits,
1 stopbit) the bits run out in this way, so the last bit ist the stop bit.

For example, see http://www.arcelect.com/rs232.htm for more details.
Another interresting link is http://www.lvr.com/serport.htm .

Bernhard Roessmann
Don't Fear The Penguins!

Re: serial port data transfer.

it will be trnsfered serily bit-by-bit

No the value will only be written once and will terminate after the stop
bit/s

Craig

Re: serial port data transfer.

In a normal situation, it will go thru 3 or 2 serially.
I'm not sure who invented it, but the laplink or pc anywhere or someone
started using multiple wires in the serial bundle to transmit data
at faster rates than was possible with a normal serial link.  If you
have control of both ends, you can do some non-standard things with
a standard serial port.
mike

21' RV, 400cc Dirt Bike
Re: serial port data transfer.

It will go through on pins 1-8, with pin 9 left over as a spare.  That's why
its a 9 pin connector.  Don't send more than one byte a second because
otherwise it will overheat the connector pins and they'll melt together.
The value will sustain there until overwritten but will evaporate within a
few hours if left alone.

Go get you a book on serial ports if you don't believe me.

Re: serial port data transfer.

Unless you're doing 9-bit serial, like the Intel 8051.  Then
all 9 pins are used.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  .. Should I get
                                  at               locked in the PRINCIPAL'S

I thought bit 9 was used for parity...

Site Timeline