real-time clock in code composer

I need to write a program that implements a real-time clock in code
composer studio. The LCD display shows hours , minutes and seconds . By
pressing a button you can enter / exit in setting mode which is
characterized by on / off LED. Pressing one of the other three keys in
setting mode you can set hours , minutes and seconds . Can someone help
me?

---------------------------------------

Re: real-time clock in code composer

Code Composer Studio is a development environment, not a processor. You
need to first select one of TI's processors, MCUs, or SoCs.

The MSP430F5438 Experimenter Board would be a good choice, in my
opinion, and lacking further information:

  http://www.ti.com/tool/msp-exp430f5438?keyMatch=msp430f5438%20evaluation%20board&tisearch=Search-EN-Everything

Good luck!
--
Randy Yates, DSP/Embedded Firmware Developer
Digital Signal Labs

I think it's his professor that decides the processor...

Bye Jack

Re: real-time clock in code composer

Very possibly, if he has a professor.
--
Randy Yates, DSP/Embedded Firmware Developer
Digital Signal Labs
Re: real-time clock in code composer

It sounds like homework, and you're not giving enough detail.

So -- no one's going to write code for you.

The first thing you need is more detail, either to get answers or to do
the project yourself.

Do you have a schematic?  Do you know what LCD you have?  Do you know
what processor pin is connected to the LED?  Do you know whether that pin
needs to be low or high to light the LED?  Do you know what processor
pins are connected to buttons?  Do you know what the pin voltages are
when the buttons are pressed vs. not pressed?  Do you know how the
various processor pins map to ports on the processor?

If this is homework, you should have been given some pretty strong clues
to this in your coursework, or in a prior course.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I need to write code that works on development board RS MSP430F5438A, but I
 don't have board or any hardware to test code many times, so that is a pro
blem. Only is specified that code works on development board RS MSP430F5438
A. Any help would be precious to me. Thanks

Re: real-time clock in code composer

Start by using the documentation of the board to find the answers to all
of the questions I gave you.

Then chase down the documentation on the LCD, to figure out how to drive
it.

See if there is demo software for the board that you can look at to learn
how it's done.

It's unfortunate that you don't have a board to experiment on -- do you
have the resources to get one for yourself?

--
www.wescottdesign.com

Re: real-time clock in code composer

Ok, thanks. I don't have resources.

Re: real-time clock in code composer

If you change your screen name one more time in this thread I'm not going
to answer, and I suspect that no one else will, either.  Look up "rude"
in the dictionary if you don't understand.

If you have access to the web you can certainly look at the board
documentation.  You'll get exactly nowhere if you don't do your homework.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I understood that you think to get or buy the board. I changed the screan name accidentally, sorry.

Re: real-time clock in code composer
I wrote some code, but now I need to include LCD to display time. I have problem with that. Can you give me some advice ?

Re: real-time clock in code composer

You are giving us absolutely no particulars -- it's like telling us you
need to build a house and how should you do it, but you won't say whether
you have wood or brick or stone to build with, you won't say how big a
house you want, what climate you live in, whether your lot is level or
steeply sloped, rocky or sandy, etc.

So the ONLY thing I can say is what I said before: look at the
documentation for the board, get the brand & model of the LCD, and learn
how that works.

If you post the part number of the LCD, or failing that if you post the
signal names going into it and the number of pins, then someone may have
more to say.

Is it an alphanumeric LCD, probably with dot-matrix characters, or is it
a numerical-only LCD with 7-segment characters?

--
www.wescottdesign.com

Re: real-time clock in code composer

God you're patient...
--
Randy Yates, DSP/Embedded Firmware Developer
Digital Signal Labs
Re: real-time clock in code composer

Hardly anybody writes code from scratch these days.  Chip vendors
usually supply plenty of code to get customers started.  It's rarely
high quality but it goes a long way to getting you started.

Use Google to find "MSP430F5438 Experimenter Board".  You'll find:

http://www.ti.com/tool/msp-exp430f5438

Scour that web page for example code.  There should be everything you
need.  Code development is impractical without HW with which to test.
If your teacher is grading you on working code and your grade can mean
the difference between getting a pro job or not in the future, I
recommend you find $175 and buy the board.  Otherwise, find a loaner.

Failing all that, at least get your project building successfully in
CCS.  I can guarantee it won't work the first time you download it to
the target.  You would iterate possibly hundreds of times.  That's how
most people write firmware.

You've got a lot of work to do and a huge learning curve to climb.
We've all been there.  Good luck.

JJS

Re: real-time clock in code composer

I get a sense, perhaps erroneous, that the guy isn't in the US.  There
are places where $175 is quite prohibitive.

It may be that all the instructor wants is for people to dig up example
code, compile it, load it, and try it.  This is actually not a trivial
thing for a really basic class, or at least not for a first experiment in
a really basic class.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

The messages seem to be originated from the network of University of
Serbia, Belgrade.

If this is a first try for the student, there are too many moving
parts in it, IMHO.

--

-TV

Re: real-time clock in code composer

I suspect -- but don't know -- that between cost-of-living differences
and the difficulty of importing stuff, that a $175 board from Microchip
is going to require a student to flip a hell of a lot more burgers in
Belgrade, Serbia than in the average same-sized city in the US*.

Agreed.  Nikola, if you're still reading, ASK THE INSTRUCTOR.
Instructors do ask for unreasonable things sometimes, but sometimes they
have something perfectly reasonable and it just comes out sounding odd.

* I was going to choose a "Belgrade" somewhere in the US -- but the six
that Wikipedia mentions are all out in the boonies in states, and may
require as many burgers flipped for that board as Belgrade, Serbia.
Probably not, but maybe.

--
www.wescottdesign.com

Re: real-time clock in code composer

Ouch, sorry. I meant Serbia, in former Yugoslavia. I did not think that
many of the Old World placenames are reused in the US.

IIRC, there are Moscow and Melbourne within a few miles under way from
NY City to upstate NY.

--

-TV

Re: real-time clock in code composer

I wasn't criticizing you -- Belgrade Montana exists, but I don't think
there's a satellite campus of the University of Serbia in it.  Ditto the
other five.

Most big (or famous) old-world cities have US cities or towns named after
them.  I grew up in Damascus, Oregon, within driving distance of
Portland, so there's two old-world place names that were reused right
there.  Granted, when Portland got its name it was named after Portland
Maine (it came down to a coin toss between Portland and Boston), but
Portland Maine (and Boston Massachusetts) were both named after the towns
in England.

--
www.wescottdesign.com

Site Timeline