PC-based controller that does PROFInet?

I'm working on implimenting PROFInet, and would like to ask if
there is any PROFInet-capbable PC-based "controller" SW out
there.

I've been searching around on Google, and haven't found
anything that will run on a "stock" PC and do basic PLC type
functionality w/ PROFInet I/O.  Something running under Linux
would be ideal, but I'd settle for Win2K or WinNT.

It's for exercising the prototype devices and doing demos, so
performance isn't critical.

I'm sure that Siemens would prefer I buy a real PLC, but I'd
rather use one of the PCs that's sitting around...

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I am NOT a nut....
                                  at

PROFInet?  Hrm, appears to be some sort of architecture layered over
TCP/IP using profibus rolled together with nice marketing buzzowords.

Now, Profibuso on the other hand is relatively common.  There are
PCI/ISA/PC104 Profibus cards for PCs from a variety of manufacturers.
--
Alex Pavloff - remove BLAH to email
Software Engineer, Eason Technology

Re: PC-based controller that does PROFInet?

It's a scheme for using DCOM on top of TCP to do industrial
automation stuff. I'm not sure how closely it maps to PROFIbus,
but there are PROFInet<-->PROFIbus gateways, so I assume that
there's a pretty good correlation between features.

Yes, I know.

Right, but I'm not doing PROFIbus.  I'm doing PROFInet, so a
PROFIbus board won't do me any good.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Gee, I feel kind of
                                  at               LIGHT in the head now,

If it's anything like the other industrial offerings out there (eg.
Devicenet/Controlnet, Modbus/ModbusTCP), there will be *very* good
correlation between features.

You will probably find that Profinet and Profibus are nothing more than
identical protocols run over different *hardware*...the OSI upper layers are
identical, only the Network and below layers are different.

If this is indeed the case, all a Profi-net gateway will do is receive the
Profi-bus packets, strip some of the header and checksum information
(maybe), wrap the resulting data in Profi-net headers/checksum and send it
on.

But you say that it is DCOM.. if this is the case I would suspect that
Profinet is simply straight Profibus data transmitted using DCOM and
unaltered in any way... but then I'm no expert ;-)

Cameron:-)

Re: PC-based controller that does PROFInet?
Profinet could become something very neat...if I understand it
correctly.

My understanding is that Profinet creates an abstraction of data
transfer at the controller level. Lets say you need to connect brand X
PLC to brand Y PLC and you want to make sure that the data was
transferred without any errors. Right now you have to do something
clunky like use Modbus (LCD) and then you need to put all sorts of error
traps in place. That's just to get the data from one PLC to another. But
how do you know that it went to the right place?

The user interface to Profinet looks similar to function blocks in IEC.
When I program my PLC, I make data available essentially via output pins
on a function block. I also insert a couple of pins on the input of the
block to tell someone else what data I expect to receive from another
PLC. Then either I connect the outputs from one PLC to the inputs to
another PLC or more likely the customer does it, this is done in the
Profinet setup software. Profinet was supposed to become the next big
thing in the automobile industry where they need to make sure that my
paint booth will communicate to your conveyor line without any issues.
Profinet has nothing to do with Profibus - just an unfortunate brand
extension?

Cheers
Steve B.