Netburner time-code interface

Hello,

I am looking for a way to interface an IRIG (GPS) time signal to serial port
data input and send the time tagged data out on the ethernet line.  Since I
am a novice in a "new" job, I wanted to know either the best way to attack
this or if there is "canned" routine for this or similar appications.  I
know a little C (I'm more assembly oriented fwiw) and some basic electronics
design.

Thank you,
Eric

Re: Netburner time-code interface
One way to do this is to turn the serial input into GPIO and then start a
timer ISR that runs at  3X the IRIGB symbol rate and  read the state of this
input bit and
decode the hardway. You can find some timer ISR hints on our website
under the support tab.

If you look at the IRIG signal your ISR can shift the new bit into a 32 bit value
if you look at the pattern you should be able to detect the start of the IRIG
sequence.

This is much easier to do if you only have to do it once in awhile to syncronize
things rather than
catch every single second of IRIG.

I know this will work, as I have done exactly what I've described but it was
as consulting job for a specific customer and I can't share more than I already
have.

If you contact me off list and it seems your company is not a competitor of the
custom customer I'll see if I can get permission to share the code.

Paul

Newsgroups

Re: Netburner time-code interface

this input bit and

That would work.  However, the plan is to use both serial ports (SB72) as
data collection from the instruments.  That pretty much leaves the TCP port
as the preferred method of input.  I am subliminally trying to get them to
use the on board clock.

syncronize things rather than

Once every ten seconds should do for now.
 I envision it as saying, "at the tone, the time will be __."

was
already have.

Shucks!

of the

Okay.

Thanks,
Eric

Re: Netburner time-code interface
You can probably use som of the Serial handshake lines as the input for the IRIG.

Paul

Re: Netburner time-code interface
Check out my timecode articles in Circuit Cellar, Jan-Mar/2000. They
cover IRIG signals and gives some examples on how to interface to them.

See ya, -ingo

/* Ingo Cyliax, snipped-for-privacy@ezcomm.com, Tel: 812-391-0895 */

Re: Netburner time-code interface

Are the articles available online somewhere or do I have to actually buy
both CDs to read them?

Thanks,
Eric

Site Timeline