Photon counting for the masses

0V

ing

Earlier this year I revisted zener diode noise, (zeners in the avalanche range.. above 8 Volts.) The noise was very part dependent. With maybe a factor of ten spread for one zener voltage. (My model for this is that the breakdwon is happening in one little section of the zener. There is some amount of charge 'stored' in that region, and the pulse size is just how much charged is stored there, so different devices have a different regions.. different pulse sizes.) But with a 20V zener (1N5250) the pulse sizes (and noise) are pretty much all the same. (less than 10% difference.) My modle for this is that the whole device breaks down when it zeners, so I get a pulse that is the capactiance of the device, which is pretty much the same for all of them.

I'm guessing the pulse from the reversed biased LED are similar... the whole LED is breaking down.

There's a nice article by K.G. McKay (Phys Rev. (94) 887 May 15, 1954) about avalanche break down in Si.

ces

axy

y,

eas

ial

at

ast

or

ed

Oh the pic's I posted were w/o any amp. (I needed an amp to drive the

50 ohm input of the counter.)

The amplitude grows as the bias voltage gets closer to the avalanche knee. So sometimes even a volt or more.

ast

ed

ink

s and

Grin, the fall time is even worse. All done with a 40MHz 'scope, though that doesn't appear to account for slow rise* time. I needed the 100k ohm bias resistor, with a 10k ohm the pulses were sharper, but of constant amplitude and sometimes longer pulse width. (I don't have any idea why it is like that.)

George H.

(*Well my 'scope shots are inverted so by rise time I assume we are both talking about the turn-on time.)

Reply to
George Herold

Doesn't that work mostly or completely in the IR range? The ones I worked with only detected IR, which you can't see. Early '70s in the US Army when they were being cold weather tested.

Michael A. Terrell

Night-vision intensifiers can work in the visible and IR, and UV for that matter; depends on the photocathode material. I have a cheap ebay, probably Russian gen-1 unit, that does both. It does have an IR illuminator. When it's on, I can see stuff 50 feet below in our garden, like snakes and skunks and cats. Off, it amplifies scenes illuminated by moonlight or night lights. I was playing with it last night in a very dark room, with just a little street light leaking in through windows. Under a desk I spotted Comet, our black cat, who was invisible otherwise. (Our other cat is Ajax. Very clean cats, if somewhat abrasive.)

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Mark Kahrs recently sent me this:

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Of course it does, and the reason it does is because it supplies your
eyes with many more photons than it - the intensifier - receives.

The price paid is the graininess in the images supplied to your eyes.
Reply to
John Fields

Why would single photons be associated with "a high background rate"?

Well, I disagree. If you're trying to find your way around in the dark, I can't see how being blind is better than having a noisy single-photon-resolution image. There are animals with much better night vision than we have, probably single-photon. And image intensifiers can help one survive. Our rod cells apparently detect single photons but they are neurologically filtered out. I wonder why. There must be an evolutionary advantage or tradeoff somewhere, but I can't imagine what it is.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

A "high background rate" would represent noise, be it from phosphenes,
stray light, scintillation, or whatever, so in that sense
single-photon events would be associated with a high background rate
in that it would be more difficult to detect them than if the
background were quiet.
Reply to
John Fields

If the tiger can see me, and I can't see the tiger, I don't survive.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

wer

es

-110V

and

es

te a

mizing

out

s,

ing

and

in

rences

pitaxy

ew

usly,

hereas

taxial

-- at

due

rafast

nt or

t of

sured

h?

slew

y fast

doped

hock

think

sers and

Neat, but where can I get a "Model 416 Lawn Genie Electronic Sprinkler Timer"?

:^)

George H.

ed text -

Reply to
George Herold

Maybe being too twitchy makes you neurotic. "Relax, it's only a single photon, no need to worry till there's five or more."

A few beers serves the same purpose.

George H.

ed text -

Reply to