PCBs stack Insulating

HI,

I have 2 PCBs stacked with standoffs the one on the top is a SMPS, and the one on the botttom has some TH components that can bridge with some in the top PCB, I was wondering how it is normally do to isolate stacked PCBs, there is no room for a bigger stand off.

My first try was to use FR4, without copper, I don't even know if I can buy that.

Do you have any clues?

thank you

BTW it is for production

Reply to
Précis d'electronique

They usually don't design stuff that's already broken.

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Well, I just want to be sure that there is something between PCBs and not only air.

For example, if it falls the impact can cause a short.

Reply to
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Pr=E9cis_d=27el

I'm not sure what it is, but I've taken things apart and there's a sheet=20 of semi-clear something between switching supplies and the chassis. I=20 guess some kind of plastic, you just have to find out what's being used.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Yes, I have seen that too, but I would put some flame retardant, or add EMI sheets (expensive)

I have 16mm between PCBs, In spite of it I am sure that I can make it surer

Thank you

Reply to
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Pr=E9cis_d=27el

Sure, it's readily available. We also use a few mil thick sheets of lexan. You're probably going to want something that's UL 94V-0, or similar, rated.

Does it need UL or other test labs certification?

Reply to
krw
8323328-1778911484-1300487725=:10735

I've seen clear plastic that I understand to be polycarbonate (eg: Lexan(tm)) and also card-weight transformer paper (eg: Nomex(tm)) used as an insulator around mains voltages,

but for the application under discussion the FR4 sounds like a better solution as I expect it would be more resistant to puncture under physical shock and vibrations.

--
?? 100% natural
Reply to

The cheap way is 'fish paper', a kind of dense paper like oaktag.

Reply to
whit3rd

Is that 16mm correct? That is 0.629 inches, over 5/8s of an inch. I'm not sure you need anything, You might try a piece of soft rubber or firm foam in the center between the boards if it is a long span between standoffs.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

.

irm

s.

Yes that is correct 16mm, and I need UL certification.

Could you please tell me where I can find FR4/G10 without copper?

Thank you

Reply to
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Pr=E9cis_d=27el

krw