OT: Math Processing Question

I'm sure there's been no end of jokes about you sending each other French letters.

When my oldest sister was doing final year high school French and Dad travelled to France, he sent her six foolscap pages hand-written in French... we used to refer to when he sent his daughter a French letter. He had an impressive memory.

Clifford Heath

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Does there exist a math program that can take as input:

{12.5m*TANH((V(N_1,0)-(((10mA+15mA)/2)*10*ATANH(((10mA-15mA)/2)/((10mA+15mA)/2))))/10/((10mA+15mA)/2))+((10mA-15mA)/2)}

and reduce it, combining terms, eliminating parentheses, etc, where possible, but leaving variables, such as V(N_1,0) ??

I'm looking for ways to simplify (and obfuscate :-) my Spice models. ...Jim Thompson

Qalculate can do some of that - it knows about units and can be asked to simplify:

Grizzly H.
Reply to
mixed nuts

80% of that equation reduces to a single constant.

+15mA)/2))))/10/((10mA+15mA)/2))+((10mA-15mA)/2)}

If you're into buying stuff, Mathcad with the symbolic toolbox is very nice. Mathcad uses Maple, as does just about any for-pay mathematical program that includes symbolic manipulation.

Maxima is kind of the gold standard for open-source symbolic simplification (I think it's where Maple comes from), but it's text based, doesn't know how to reduce units (unless you do extensive coaching, I suppose), and can hang up on trig problems. Of course, I've also just described Maple...

Whether Maxima or Maple is the underlying engine, you'll often find that the "obvious" simplification you're looking for is just not coming out. In that case, you can often get a long way by making a guess, and then asking

-

VERY OFTEN, when Maxima can't reduce something to my taste, it'll still correctly cough up 0 when I do the above (and when I've gotten my reduction right).

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Hello Jim,

Quite easy with (wx)maxima with ratsimp();

ratsimp(12.5*TANH((V(N_1,0)-(((10+15)/2)*10*ATANH(((10-15)/2)/((10+15)/2))))/10/((10+15)/2))+((10-15)/2));

-->

(25*TANH((V(N_1,0)-125*ATANH(-1/5))/125)-5)/2

I'm too lazy now ... BTW you have been entering the MIT ... whare have you been there ???

Hum ... take it easy Jim i'm kidding you.

Habib.

PS : same way with MathCAD.

Reply to
Habib Bouaziz-Viallet

Super! I downloaded the Maxima installer and a "book" about an hour ago.

Long, long ago ;-) 1958-1962

...Jim Thompson

...and in a galaxy far, far away.

Reply to
John S

oh i see ! An MIT veteran ! BTW i never understand what is the meaning of "Mens et Manus" 'cause it's a mix with mens (English) and manus (Latin) stand for body or hand.

I come from the one which the moto is "Docet omnes ubique" and i proud of this.

Habib.

Reply to
Habib Bouaziz-Viallet

Mens et Manus == Mind and Hand

It teaches everyone everywhere

You should be proud...

...Jim Thompson

On Wed, 02 Dec 2015 21:35:10 +0100, Habib Bouaziz-Viallet Gave us:

just google it, dummy.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Ah ok mens ! as mens sana in corpore sano. Apologies.

And sure i am ! we need it most of all on these dark days in France, saying "Docete omnes ubique"

Reply to
Habib Bouaziz-Viallet

And you're a dummy and half. When i was 11 years old i've learn some latin in French school, i forgot the meaning of mens word in Latin.

My English is unfortunately not so fluent i could express my pity on you ... stupid.

H.

Reply to
Habib Bouaziz-Viallet

Habib, Just ignore DecadentLoser... he's just that, a total loser... and ignorant to boot.

I'm of the (very) old school... I had three years of Latin in High School and one year of French... my wife-to-be and I communicated in French when I was at MIT and she was still in West Virginia... to thwart her mother reading our love letters ;-) ...Jim Thompson

:-) very smart indeed writing French with one's love !

Habib.

Reply to
Habib Bouaziz-Viallet

Our 56th anniversary on March 31. Our teenage marriage wasn't supposed to last (I was 20, she was 18 ;-) ...Jim Thompson

FWIW, I'd treat the units as variables (e.g. 125mA -> 125*mA), which ratsimp will cancel or factor out where possible.

Also, if you convert tanh() and atanh() to lower-case, you may be able to get some mileage out of trigsimp/trigexpand/trigreduce.

Reply to
Nobody

}snip{

"Zut, alors! Je t'aime, mon amour!"

Now, was that so difficult? ;)

joe

Reply to
Joe Hey

O.T.: All you've got to blame is your government...

jor

Reply to
Joe Hey

On Wed, 02 Dec 2015 22:01:44 +0100, Habib Bouaziz-Viallet Gave us:

I did not say a goddamned thing about what you may or may have not studied. Even IF you had YEARS of Latin study, when you encounter an unknown, you can GOOGLE it and examine the result... DUMMY!

So YOU are the putz who needs pity, asshole.