Modern lithium-ion batteries protected against catastrophic failure?

I have this 36 V battery.

I would like to try electricly splitting it into two parts and using each 18 V half individually. I have these things lying around and I need lightweight 18 V batteries.

Do the individual lithium-ion cells have built-in protection against deep discharge, or is that probably done by a separate circuit in the battery pack?

My only concern is safety, I don't want the things to catch on fire.

Thanks.

Reply to
John Doe

If you have some many, what does it look like inside ??

Post a pic somewhere.

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

The answer to that probably doesn't matter either way.

Pack protection - apart from under/over-voltage and overcurrent - invariably includes cell_voltage_mismatch monitoring. So the module needs to match the cell count. Assuming there is a module in your 36V pack, it will expect ten series cells, and less will indicate a failure.

Reply to
who where

Sorry, I had forgotten... What I was thinking of doing was using a DPDT switch to change the battery from 36 V to 18 V (two halves in parallel). For charging, it would be no different, but when in use the two halves would be paralleled. Would that present a fire hazard?

I might post pictures, as suggested.

John Doe wrote:

spx?pid=BAT836

Reply to
John Doe

How is "halves in parallel" different from "the two halves would be paralleled?"

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

regular

news.astraweb.com!border6.newsrouter.astraweb.com!feed.news.qwest.net!mpls-nntp-04.inet.qwest.net!46.17.56.130.MISMATCH!news-transit.tcx.org.uk!eternal-september.org!feeder.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail

failure?

posting-host="N1UKalwBQj1T+VLI2nvw0w"; logging-data="8277"; mail-complaints-to="abuse eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX1+0SmaE8tsinrUCdQn/V1epbDOUMDMi4KU="

Reply to
John Doe

Yes!..........With no pictures or schematic drawings, interpretation of your query is open to the reader.

Reply to
ED

Well, yeah, when the person expressing them claims that they're "different."

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

regular

news.astraweb.com!border6.newsrouter.astraweb.com!news.glorb.com!news2.glorb.com!feeder.erje.net!eternal-september.org!feeder.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail

failure?

posting-host="N1UKalwBQj1T+VLI2nvw0w"; logging-data="17071"; mail-complaints-to="abuse eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX1/LUl+CMZ8Uj/PhZa2wLpmu2rjMMw7b1no="

Reply to
John Doe

Bullshit. Extremely few questions are accompanied by pictures or schematics. However big your ego, you are not the only person in the world. Someone else might have experience with the battery I posted a link to. And even if I posted a dramatic, you would act clueless as you are now.

And if the reader can read... He would've noticed that I already said I was considering posting a picture. And if he is still confused, he can ask a straightforward question, instead of trolling.

Hopefully you don't really expect me to post a schematic, unless you're crazy.

By the way. Are you new to UseNet, or are you nym-shifting?

--

Nym-shifting
> From: "ED"
> Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,free.UseNet
> Subject: Re: Modern lithium-ion batteries protected against catastrophic
failure?
> Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 18:10:38 -0400

Reply to
John Doe

...then keep them away from airplanes..

Reply to
Robert Baer

And out of orbit.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

Oh, sorry. My mistake. I at first read "it would be different" - on review, I see you said "no different."

But I'm not a troll, and I don't think it's necessary to cuss out a guy who's trying to help - you could have simply said, "No, if you'd check, you'd see I said, "no different.""

But you didn't.

Thanks anyway, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

..

Would you please change your sig-line? Aside from the fact that's it's really tired and worn out, it's a perfect example of the stupidity it tries to ridicule:

1) You CAN fix stupid, stupid. In fact, it's hard to keep stupid down. We assess stupidity as unrealized capacity to improve oneself. Some are just better at self-improvement than others. We wouldn't call a rock stupid would we? 2) A Band-Aid=99 on stupidity? As in "a temporary solution that does not deal with the cause of a problem"? I've fed my stupid nephew many answers to homework that he just couldn't get. Now he's getting the hang of it, so the Band-Aid=99 was evidently part of the cure. 3) Teflon coated? That was a clever thing to say about politicians back in the '80s. Your usage is just ... you know what.

-- Joe

Reply to
J.A. Legris

That just stupid.

Don't eat so much stupid at once! ;-)

Maybe you do. The stupid can't learn. The ignorant can be taught. In a lot of cases, no one has bothered to try, and they need to go back a level or two to where they first had a problem.

Do you know of any rocks with a mind?

Then your nephew was ignorant, not stupid.

Irritating to you. More importantly, it irritates the hell out of the really stupid. :)

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Don't feed the troll. ...Jim Thompson