How to solder very thin stranded wire?

This is one conductor in a cable from some iPod earphones:

What is the best way to deal with the fibre strands and to tin the wire?

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
DaveC

Plan A: Find a short length of very fine uninsulated wire. A single strand from some stranded wire is what I use. Wrap it around the insulation about 2 times, and then continue wrapping around the tinsel wire. Clip off the excess at the end. Solder the wrapped wire to the replacement connector.

Plan B: Buy a new iPod earphone. They're cheaper than the replacment connector.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature

Wire-wrap was considered an adequate technique for a decade.

2 pieces of very fine stripped wire, lay alongside each one , ends laying together, a microdot of hotmelt glue on the ends and then when cool gives something to twist between fingers, then coat with more hotmelt as insulation. No actual soldering
Reply to
N_Cook

Sounds good.

Not using it as earbuds. Just re-purposing the cord for a corded single-earphone-with-mic unit. Have both, and am an avid "not to the landfill will you go" kind of guy...

And beside, I'll learn something new (ie, soldering tinsel wire).

Dave

Reply to
DaveC

Very interesting.

But how does this apply to my particular need?

Dave

Reply to
DaveC

I did something like that... I just teased the wire away from the fibers, cut the fibers, and the enamel on the wire burned off from the heat of the soldering iron.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I don't even bother to try to tease the fibers away. I just get a good blob of solder on the tip of the iron and push the wire into it. In my experience everything burns away except the wire. Eric

Reply to
etpm

That works for "SolderEze" coated wire. Regular Formvar doesn't dissolve in solder. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

For which you would recommend...?

Reply to
DaveC

You can tin the wire in a solder pot...or blob of solder on the end of an iron. Problem is that it will break almost instantly at the transition point from stiff to flexible.

The technique mentioned above seems to be an excellent solution to that problem.

Reply to
mike

I don't understand the technique.

The wire is enameled (insulated). Do I prepare the wire by burning (or sanding) off some of the enamel first?

I start wrapping back a way and wrap toward the end of the wire?

Then I solder not the tinsel wire but only the wrapping wire beyond the end of the tinsel wire? This looks like there is no actual soldering of the tinsel at all (which is intentional, I presume, to avoid stress points).

Reply to
notme

No, I think the wrapping wire creates a strain relief for a way back from the point where you solder both the wrapping wire, the tinsel wires, and the mating wire.

I think...

Reply to
DaveC

Sorry. I couldn't tell if it was coated or bare tinsel.

Take a knife and scrape off some of the insulation. You don't need to remove all of it or completely, just enough to make at least one connection to the wrapping wire.

Yes. The part that goes over the insulation acts as a mechanical support to prevent breakage where the insulation ends. It's not necessary to tightly pack the windings together. A loose spiral is sufficient as long as there are multiple points of contact with the tinsel.

Correct.

Correct. You just need a mechanical connection. If this were some device that carried some current, such a method would not be suitable. However, since EP/Mic audio is very low power, a simple mechanical connection is sufficient.

Incidentally, I learned this method back in the 1960's during my phone phreaking days, when fixing tinsel telephone coil cords was became a side business because nobody had cheap replacement coil cords or insulation piercing spade lugs.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

--
None of it dissolves in solder, it just ablates when the temp gets
high enough.

What does "ablating" look like ?>:-| ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

My kind of guy/

Reply to
micky

Yes, even before I r ead your post, I remembed reading that enamel insulation burned off during soldering. I've never relied on that, but I guess I should have, since trying to scrape off the insulation is enough to break the metal fibers.

Reply to
micky

--
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ablation
Reply to

Another problem with very fine wire is that it dissolves in solder. They do make/sell solders with high copper content to deal with that. Ersin "savebit" is one such (sold with the idea that soldering iron bits will dissolve or erode more slowly if the solder already contains copper.

Reply to
default

They make 'nasty' chemicals that will strip the enamel. But for relatively big wires I just burn it off with a butane torch/ lighter. For the fine wire the burn method is a bit dodgy, 'cause you can melt the copper too... turns into a little copper ball on the end of the wire.

Goerge H.

Reply to
George Herold