Driving LEDs with a battery pack

On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 19:57:05 -0700 (PDT), fungus wrote:

Go here and start near Figure 5 and read down from there. Particularly where it is titled "Energy Storage in Inductor." But above that, as well. In that titled area, they will take note of the fact that the permeability factor of the iron core (or other material) actually is in the divisor of the iron core term in the energy equation, which with any large permeability means it gets divided by a pretty large number. Note that in the example they analyze, about 2% of the energy is in the core and the rest is in the air gap of the gapped core.

Also, inductors work just fine in vacuum.. so it's not the molecules

-- it is space itself. The atoms (those able to align their spin states, anyway) actually are more like dead-shorts where energy isn't much stored. They align up and then bridge over between bits of vacuum where the energy gets mostly placed. In air, which is more a very thin liquid, there aren't so many 'dead shorts' (they don't even align that much where they exist) and the effective permeability is much the same as vacuum. With a chunk of iron, and many many more atoms present which are each quite willing to align with the field and become dead shorts for the field, the energy that is present gets stored again in the interstitial areas between these aligned atoms. However, the atoms themselves, because they align so well, in effect shorten the magnetic path length from what we humans on the outside imagine.

Okay, now I'm going to make both our heads hurt for a moment.

Inductance is really just a bag holding loose constants laying around in the equations. There's a whole bunch:

(1) L = mu_0 * mu_r * N^2 * A_e / l_e

mu_0 is the magnetic constant for a vacuum. mu_r is some arbitrary multiplier for the core material, in cases where it isn't a vacuum. We'll get to that one in a moment. N is just the number of windings.

A_e is the effective cross-section area of the core and l_e is the length of the magnetic loop or circle that the magnetic field must go through. Think of A_e times l_e as the total volume that the magnetic field's energy occupies. With an iron core, this is easier to figure out as you can pretty much measure it with a tape measure. Very little energy leaks beyond the volume of the core itself (in well-designed operation anyway) because all those iron atoms line up and allow the field to remain mostly contained due to their very low reluctance, dead-shorting effect. The magnetic energy 'wants' to take the path of least resistance and the iron atoms practically beg to be used by the field. Since vacuum is more 'difficult' for the field, it channels itself through all those dead-shorts. So the volume is pretty easy to measure since the magnetic field has no 'interest' in going beyond the core (unless the core becomes 'saturated.') If the inductor is an air core (or vacuum, in effect) then the magnetic field concentrates in the interior of the coil and then, as it reaches either the north or south end of the wire coil it then 'blooms' out into the space around the coil and tries to find the way to the other pole through a path of least resistance. This volume is harder to measure with a tape, obviously. It's hard to 'see' exactly how much volume is occupied by most of the field. So designers measure what they can, which is the area of the coil cross-section, and then fudge things by guessing at the length of the loop, instead. The area is easy to measure, the magnetic path length is harder.. for an air core. So experimental data becomes the basis for educated guesses about that path length and we get these funky air core equations with what may appear to be arbitrary constants tacked into them. (Neither of these cases are a 'gapped core' case, but careful thinking about the two I've already talked about lead to an easy understanding of gapped cores, as well.)

Now let's return to the nifty inductance equation and address ourselves to the 'dead-short' aspect of iron atoms:

(1) L = mu_0 * mu_r * N^2 * A_e / l_e

For an air core, just remove mu_r:

(2) L = mu_0 * N^2 * A_e / l_e

This won't actually look like Wheeler's equation (see: Wheeler, H.A. 'Simple Inductance Formulas for Radio Coils', Proc. I.R.E., Vol 16, p.1398, Oct.1928), which is:

(3) L = 0.001 * N^2 * r^2 / (228*r + 254*l)

Where L is in Henrys, r is the coil radius in meters, l is the coil length in meters (and must be greater than 0.8*r to work well) and N is the number of turns used.

But that is because, as I said earlier, while we have an easy time measuring A_e if we assume it is simply the cross-section area of the coil's winding, we have a VERY hard time estimating the effective path length of the magnetic field, which is l_e. And because of that, we reach for experimental evidence to guide us and come up with rather more pragmatic ways of estimating values than the pure theory approach gives.

Refer back to equation (1) and compare it again with equation (2). Now imagine all those dead-short iron atoms in the case of equation (1). Since the iron atoms bridge over between bits of vacuum in the material, and act like magnetic dead-shorts, the distance that these atoms account for are, in effect, ignorable. The magnetic field gets a free ride with each iron atom and then faces that nasty vacuum before it can hop over to the next iron atom for some more of that wonderful free ride, again. It takes energy to hop across the vacuum and that is where the energy sits. Not in the iron atoms, which give a free ride. But in the vacuum spaces in between the atoms because that is where it takes energy to make the hop. So all the energy gets stored in the vacuum gaps, not the atoms themselves. (Not if they align easily, anyway. Many atoms don't 'help' the field any, don't line up, and so the magnetic field doesn't get a free ride from them. But iron works really good this way.)

All these iron atoms, giving the magnetic field a free ride over to the next bit of vacuum, in effect short out or bypass that much of the distance. So that distance doesn't count in the magnetic path length. Really, the actual magnetic path length is just the vacuum parts that the magnetic field must punch through and consume energy bridging. So if we could just somehow only add up the vacuum parts and ignore the iron atom parts of the loop length (l_e), we'd be able to figure out just how much of the iron core loop length is actually just vacuum (from the magnetic field point of view.) If we knew that, we'd just use equation (2). That value for l_e would be much, much shorter than what our tape measure would say about it, obviously.

However, we have tape measures and iron is easy to hold and see and measuring the bits of vacuum isn't easy to measure. So the other alternative, since the measurable l_e is so much longer due to all those iron atoms in there, is to come up with something in the numerator of the equation to compensate. In other words, add another factor. This is mu_r seen in equation (1). It is there to compensate l_e in the denominator for the error due to the fact that we measure the total length using a tape measure instead of using some magical means of adding up all those bits of vacuum hops that the magnetic field actually must make and ignoring all those iron atoms. Since the loop length of the iron core measured with common measuring means is so much longer than that of the vacuum (which is what we really want to know) hops the magnetic field will make, we'd calculate far too little an inductance figure if we didn't add in this new factor.

In effect, __all__ of the energy gets stored in vacuum. Always has been that way, always will be. For atoms that don't align at all, no bridging takes place and the vacuum space they occupy gets filled with it's part of the magetic energy hopping past them. For atoms that do align easily, they act as dead-shorts so that the magnetic field expends very little energy bridging across the tiny bit of space they occupy along the path.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

Sorry.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

Well, I just posted some thoughts and a web site with some nifty equations and addressing itself to the idea that energy is mostly stored in the gaps.. not in the mass of the core, itself. See if it makes any sense.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

So the iron is just shaping/directing the field?

(And holding the wires in place)

Reply to
fungus

Maybe reluctance is what you're looking for?

Reply to
Jamie

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 05:14:10 -0700 (PDT), fungus wrote:

It provides the shorter path, the one taking less energy, so yes. That's kind of the way I like to look at it. Everything in nature appears to choose the path of least energy change. A soap bubble instantly takes up the shape that requires the least energy, regardless of any nearby structures it also clings to. Things like that. So the iron just presents a very low energy path for the field, mostly as I see it because each atom easily aligns if tweaked just a little by the field and provides a near-zero-energy-hop to help the field bridge over all that space it otherwise would need to get through.

The other aspect is that there are an infinite number of 'closed magnetic bubble surfaces', none of which may cross through each other. Each 'surface' is 'looking' for the lowest energy circuit through space, but cannot cross through any other surface. So they 'bunch up' a lot in the iron, which is the way-easy path, but stack. This is why we can usually ignore the air around the core, as almost all of the magnetic bubbles will be found crowded up in the iron core. They pinch together a whole lot and stay nearby, that way. Eventually, enough bubble surface density occurs that the 'lowest energy' path starts to include a little of the space around the iron instead of entirely within in. But for all intents and purposes, we can imagine that all of the magnetic field stays in the iron core because that is far and away the lowest energy pathway for almost every magnetic bubble surface.

These easy paths are easy, though, because the atoms provide free hops. Which means that the effective path length through space (where energy is actually stored) is much shorter. This 'shortness' is what the mu_r measures. The way I see this is that if you have a core material with a typical permeability of 5000, then that means that the vacuum portion in the typical lowest energy pathway through any specific length of it is 5000 times shorter than what you'd measure with a tape measure. Or, if you have 5 inches of the material, then the iron atoms in it provide (5/5000) or 1/1000th of an inch of vacuum that the magnetic field must cross over by force, with 4+999/1000ths inches of free hops across iron atoms. This is why I spoke earlier about my imagination regarding why very high permeability materials tend to also be conductive, as well. On the other hand, there are low perm materials (typically in the low hundreds, so let's use a figure of 250) where you'd get (5/250) or 1/50th of an inch of vacuum and 4+

49/50ths of free hops. In that case, there is enough "binder" in the material to separate bits of iron and keep conduction down, while mostly providing a shorter pathway. It's a trade-off.

Another aspect in these iron cores is eddy currents. These are kind of like "electron dogs chasing their tails." Any current flow through the coil induces a magnetic field. But then this magnetic field permeates the area around it (and especially through the iron core because of the easy pathway there.) But just as electron motion sets up a magnetic field, it's also true that any magnetic motion also sets up an electric field. And if there are electrons available in the conduction band (electrons that belong to atoms but where they are just barely attached to the atoms, unlike valence electrons which are firmly held) of atoms where such electric field potentials are set up, they start moving away from the negative potential end and towards the more positive potential, if they can. Iron has lots of electrons in the conduction band, so those electrons want to start moving. If all there is _is_ more iron, then they can move and they do. With very low rates of change in the magnetic field, the electric potentials that are set up are very small and so the electrons do not accelerate very fast and they also have a lot of time to move, as well. All this just means that not very much energy is wasted moving them around (work is force times distance and although they have time to travel some distance there, the force is very very small and the total work is tiny.) When the current through the coil oscillates back and forth fast enough, though, a very strong electric field is also set up and the electrons accelerate quickly. Of course, the field changes quickly, too, and reverses their motion soon after. So the electrons start running around in tiny circles (they'd collide too much if they went in straight lines back and forth, so to avoid that effect they quickly arrange themselves in 'traffic' loops.) That is, if there is a free conduction path for them to do so. If you powder up the iron enough, into bits that are even smaller than the natural loops these electrons would form into, and bind them back together with something that isn't conductive at all, then despite the strong electric field they cannot really move very far. They still move, but then they run up against a barrier and sit and wait for the field to change and go the other way in their tiny little cage. This greatly shortens the net distance they can travel in and despite the strong force their travel distance is forced to be smaller than they'd otherwise do. So the net force times distance shrinks down and the wasted energy in the core is less.

I suppose an optimal core for eddy currents (higher frequencies in the magnetic field induce higher electric potential forces) might set an iron atom forced somehow to be isolated by enough distance that the electrons wouldn't travel across the gap for any particular electric potential (this means separating them further and further apart for higher and higher frequencies.) [Note: This gap might be created by the use of atoms that won't conduct, though their very presence would probably mean more distance is required between the iron atoms.] However, this increasing gap distance would require the magnetic field to place energy in it to hop across, so the iron atoms would represent less and less of a free hop as a net percent of the total distance and eventually you'd be almost as well off with just a vacuum in terms of total size of your inductor.

Getting back to equation (1) and equation (2):

(1) L = mu_0 * mu_r * N^2 * A_e / l_e (2) L = mu_0 * N^2 * A_e / l_e

Let's assume that all the energy goes into the vacuum, only. We measure, at our macro scale with a tape measure, a loop length (l_e) of 1 and a cross section area (A_e) of 1 and use N=1. But there are two such inductors. One with a true vacuum only, one with an iron core of permeability mu_r=5000. If we used equation (2) on our air core, we get the right figure. But if we used equation (2) on our iron core, we don't because actually all those iron atoms are occupying most of the l_e that we had measured. In fact, 4999/5000ths of it. So the effective l_e that we should have used would have been

1/5000th of what we earlier tried to use and where we got the wrong resulting value for L. So, to compensate for this, we introduce mu_r as a compensating factor. Since l_e in the denominator was 5000 times too large, due to the fact that our measurements included a lot of iron atoms along with the tiny bits of vacuum, then we need to add a term in the numerator that is 5000 to compensate for using a number that was 5000 times too big in the denominator. Doing that 'fixes' the result. But it remains that it is only the vacuum, not the iron, where all that energy gets placed.

Does that make sense?

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

What makes you think I'm looking for anything?

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

No. The energy is stored in the magnetic field around the wire.

Air has nothing to do with it - the only reason we've used the word air is to differentiate between transformers that are made by wrapping wire around some kind of magnetic material like iron versus those that are not. The latter are commonly called "air core" or "air wound". And sometimes, when you're trying to wind them and the wire won't cooperate, they're called things not suitable for public consumption. :-)

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

I suppose that's a fairly accurate picture in the case of something like ferrite or powdered iron, where you have grains of ferromagnetic material separated by something else.

However, I'd hesitate to believe in it too literally as a description of what's physically going on inside solid iron. On the atomic scale, the distinction between "vacuum" and "non-vacuum" is rather unclear. If you consider mass distribution within the atom, then the iron is almost *all* vacuum, even when the atoms are right next to each other.

Another way to look at it is that the magnetic field represents a certain amount of energy per unit volume, but the relevant field is the H field, not the B field. That's because the H field is the only part that's actually generated by the current in the wire. The rest of the B field comes "for free" courtesy of the permanent magnetism of the iron atoms, and as we all know, there ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

The ratio between the B and H fields is the relative permeability of the material, which is just a way of summarising all the complicated interactions going on between the H field and the iron atoms resulting in a certain total field.

--
Greg
Reply to

And if humans had evolved to live in space rather than an atmosphere, we would probably have called them "vacuum core", with little observable difference in their properties.

--
Greg
Reply to

While we're on the subject of transformers, there's something that's been bothering me about ordinary (non-flyback) transformers.

Consider an unloaded transformer. We apply an AC voltage to the primary, and a small magnetising current flows, just enough to induce an emf that balances out the primary voltage, and also induces a voltage in the secondary.

Now attach a substantial load to the secondary. The secondary voltage causes a current to flow in the secondary winding. At the same time, a corresponding current flows in the primary winding. The extra magnetic fields from these two currents mostly cancel out (the better the transformer, the closer they come to doing so exactly), leaving just the small magnetising flux to continue producing the secondary voltage.

So the flux in the core is pretty much the same as it was with no load. But now a substantial amount of power is being transmitted from the primary to the secondary.

So there must be *something* different about the state of either the core or the surrounding space between the loaded and non-loaded conditions. But what is it?

--
Greg
Reply to

The secondary voltage is a little less per turn than the EMF, and the primary voltage is a little more per turn than the EMF. The difference overcomes wire resistance (and any leakage inductance's impedance) to the extent that results in the amount of current in question flowing through the turns of wire.

Don Klipstein

Not at all. I'm familiar with measurements in terms of Barns -- it's an atomic cross-section figure; an abstraction expressing interaction likelihoods. I imagine (or choose to imagine here) a similar idea relative to the passing of a magnetic field loop through space and atoms. For purposes of the iron atom and magnetic field loops (bubble surfaces) passing through them there is some 'size' that I like to consider the permeability figure as an abstraction expressing that.

In any case, it doesn't appear to be inconsistent with the equations.

This doesn't refute what I wrote, though.

I am only just studying the material. As I wrote earlier, all this began for me only a handful of weeks ago, now. So yes, I may yet find a reason to modify the mental model. But so far, it helps me better than other abstractions do.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

This appears to cover it nicely for me:

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

I should have added that here I imagine that the mu_r permeability factor merely represents a measured parameter, very much like a cross section in Barns. The cross-section figure isn't fixed for a given atom or particle. It varies quite widely over various energies, too. Although it isn't how things actually work at the quantum level of detail, it remains a very useful concept for practical work. I'm suggesting a similar analog with permeability.

For example, natural Uranium is 0.7% U235 with the rest being U238. The cross section of U235 for thermal energy neutrons is 580 Barns. The cross section of U238 for the same neutrons is effectively 0. So the fission cross section of natural uranium is calculated to be:

0.007 * 580 + 0.993 * 0, which is 4.06

Now this doesn't mean, in any way, that the atomic diameters (as measured by different means than slow neutrons) will be the same. It just means this is a useful fiction that allows one to imagine well and also calculate effective values.

I like to imagine permeability in a similar light. The 'cross section' or 'size' from the point of view of the penetrating magnetic field does not in any way have to be related to the size of the atom as measured by other means. Does that make sense?

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

Yes, that makes sense.