Latest threads in Hobby Electronics Basicsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Dubbing Buss
Hi, I have just dropped in to see if I can find out more about the problem I am trying to solve. I am putting together a vintage stereo system: Pioneer SX990 amp/receiver TEAC A-1500 Reel-to-Reel tape...
2
2

Wa-a-ay OT: Overlay to make a cable "coiled"
Back when I was a kid (nearly 3/4 of a century ago :-) there used to be plastic coils that could be applied to a straight cable to "coil" it up. Does such a thing exist today? ...Jim Thompson -- |...
8
8

Plastic capacitor for camera flash tube?
I'd like to experiment with a camera flash tube but cannot easily obtain a proper photoflash capacitor, not even one from an old flash gun. It's not for photography and I need only a fairly low flash...
23
23

BJT Amplifier Output Votlage Swing
I'm having a hard time understanding the "negative swing" of a common-emitter amplifier. There is a website called where a BJT amplifier is described. The set up is a BJT with a collector resistor, an...
12
12

Discrete TRIAC Suggestion?
Back dabbling in the discrete world... I need a TRIAC: 450Vmin (peak) standoff 3Amp Peak, but non-repetitive Irms ~ 100mA Cheap ;-) Suggestions? ...Jim Thompson -- | James E.Thompson, CTO | mens | |...
31
31

Anyone make this USB adapter?
Anyone make this USB adapter? USB type B Male to USB type B Female, RIGHT ANGLE in the horizontal plane, label side UP. ...Jim Thompson -- | James E.Thompson, CTO | mens | | Analog Innovations, Inc. |...
9
9

Xenon or Led ?
I was told by a professional that xenon light used in the fire warming systems cannot be replaced by led light due to the poor visibility in hazy condition like when there is smoke during fire, would...
2
2

radio antenna ?
My country has only one radio broadcast station with different channel playing music,news,etc. Why is it that I need to readjust my radio antenna ( Direction ) when I listen to the different station...
5
5

Discrete Transistor Equivalents/Crosses
Discrete Transistor Equivalents/Crosses for these devices... XN04401 TRXN4501 I'm search for equivalent devices that also have Spice models. Wringing out an _old_ discrete design :-( ...Jim Thompson...
3
3

AC Cap Dropper DC Power Supply
AC Cap Dropper DC Power Supply Anyone know of a clever way to regulate other than the typical brute-force zener clamp? ...Jim Thompson -- | James E.Thompson, CTO | mens | | Analog Innovations, Inc. |...
88
88

Why sensing distance in inductive sensors depends more on ferromagnetic features than conductivity of metals?
As I understand, the principle of operation of inductive sensors relies on Eddy currents, and those induced currents are stronger on more conductive metal (ref. So, why in practice (and datasheets)...
4
4

Non-metalic NEMA box--Observatory
My observatory story continues. I've been getting some tips from a guy in Hawaii about how to proceed over the last 4 months. I finally decided to hire him to build some of the components in HI. He...
14
14

do snubbers apply for solid state switches
I was wondering, if I'm using FETs to switch on/off 100V at 10A. Do I need some kind of snubber circuit for my FET? Or do snubbers just apply to relays? my load is just resistive. thanks
6
6

USB Mechanical Switch?
I'm going to wear out my USB hub plugging in my head-set for Skype calls, then unplugging to return to PC speakers. Does there exist a simple mechanic switch I could toggle to disconnect the head-set...
36
36

12 volts to 48 volts for an electric bicycle
I got a used 36-volt Crystalyte hub motor and controller from Craigslist. (The guy who sold it to me said they can take 72 volts, but I'm still trying to confirm that from their website, which is a...
27
27