Latest threads in Hobby Electronics Basicsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

ANN: Updated Models & Schematics on My Website
I have updated my Device Models & Subcircuits page. Comments invited. I welcome suggestions of models you'd like to see created. With years of benign neglect, I've accumulated more than 600 schematics...
21
21

Automotive alternator windings & rectifier
has photos of an alternator with 4 connections for windings (each of 3 phases + common), and the 8 diode rectifier. But wiring diagrams show only 3 connections and 6 diodes. Where does the common...
37
37

Series R-C circuit integrator
Good side of R-C circuit integrator that has no voltage offset to be integr ated, like it is the case with op-amp integrator. Bad side is that series R -C circuit integrator is not so good integrator...
4
4

screwgun triggers
I have a cordless impact driver and drill set I use all the time. How does the speed control in the trigger work, is it just a rheostat? It's been a long time since I took a drill apart, but I don't...
14
14

Thermal conductive pads for chips
Any recommendation? Should I buy from Amazon? The size of the chip is roughly 1cm x 1cm.... -- @~@ Remain silent. Nothing from soldiers and magicians is real! / v Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force...
5
5

R-C circuit differentiator
R-C circuit differentiator is classic with passive components that can diff erentiate voltage signal. For step input R-C circuit differentiator makes s pikes on the output, so it differentiate step...
2
2

Reactive load impedance in a transformer (Circuits I don't understand #1)
Having a resonant circuit in the secondary of a transformer has been bother ing me for quite some time. Circuit books teach that a transformer will tra nsform the impedance by square of the turn...
12
12

Thermal management of through-hole leds
I have some leds in 8 mm through-hole packages, rated for 0.5 W, maximum steady current 100 mA. The legs are extra wide at the top, but there is no other built-in heat sink. These are chinese cheapos...
4
4

oscilloscope without wire ground
Is there any risk to use oscilloscope without wire ground? Because with wire ground there is a short circuit when I use GND on the line.
33
33

led's
I need help with a way to light up my SWR meter with internal led which wou ld be really close to RF passing thru the SWR meter. That way it would only light up the meter when I transmit. if anyone...
97
97

Wheatstone measurement bridge
Wheatstone measurement bridge is kind of very accurate measurement approach due differential measurement. But it is also very complex if impedances in branches of the bridge are not pure resistive. On...

Need help designing a simple control system
This problem probably amounts to determining the constants of a curve. Furthermore, the "curve" is most likely a line: Y = mX + K Now, the fun part. I am trying to synthesize/derive a formula that...
7
7

Again! Current-limiting resistor for LEDs
The supplied voltage is 3V. The forward voltage drop over LED is 3V. What is the resistance of current-limiting resistor? :)
32
32

Roomba vacuum cleaner
Just picked up my second one at a garage sale. (Total investment = $8 so far) Anyway, it would be nice if I could get one working. If not, I will donate parts to the local high school robotics club....
1
1

Is this homemade battery charger circuit dangerous?
The other day I found plans for a $3 battery charger that was just a diode and light bulb in series with the battery, using mains electricity. I poste d a question about modifying it with a dimmer...
41
41