Latest threads in Hobby Electronics Basicsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Numbers Behind Bird Friendly Solar Thermal
Googlemap "Ivanpah" to see tens of thousands of tracking mirrors in a 2 km dia farm. Use these ballpark numbers: mirror dimensions: 3 m X 3 m ave. distance of mirrors from receiver: 600 m angular...
6
6

Boost DC-DC converter online simulation
Online simulation of Boost converter DC-DC converter is ready. Boost DC-DC converter has output voltage always higher then the input. This makes it particularly useful in battery systems as well as...

OT: Microsoft Lync
A new client uses Microsoft Lync for Instant Messaging. At my office I use Skype. I understand there's a way to set up a link ;-) between the two, but I can't figure out how to do it. I have been...
2
2

Bird Friendly Heliostat Solar Thermal
Stopping a megawatt wind turbine on a dime to save a bird might introduce structural issues. That isn't the case with solar thermal. Radar or sonar can track each bird as it passes through feeding...
9
9

winding an electromagnet on a nail
When I was a kid, I wound a nail with enamel-coated wire, starting from the head of the nail, then when I reached the tip, I would wind towards the head again (still in the same direction of rotation...
4
4

Optimum electromagnet dimensions
Using an air core electromagnet with a given length of wire, what dimension s would be optimum for maximum force against a permanent magnet in close pr oximity? Should the electromagnet be wound with...
6
6

Buck-boost DC-DC converter online simulation
Online simulation of buck-boost converter DC-DC converter is ready. Buck-boost DC-DC converter has special feature that output voltage is with negative polarity, and absolute value of the output...

HF design approach
Hello to all, I am designing an amplifier for frequencies between 500khz to 5Mhz. (+/-40V ) a couple of watts. I am a newbie to HF frequencies , but I would like to know what is the best amplifier...
16
16

Windows Log In Question
I have my wife's computer set up so that, after some length of time of no usage, it logs her off, requiring password entry to get back in. I did this when we had to deal daily with the autistic...
7
7

Random Timing Echo Noise Reduction
Downwardly mobile types in apts may have noticed that it is 100% useless 95% of the time to tell the meth head next door to turn down the music at 2 am. The cops appear and within 45 seconds after the...
1
1

Joule Thief inductor cores
What material is ideal for low-power Joule Thief inductor cores? Ferrite, or powdered iron? Is an air gap desired, or not? I saw an ad for a "high permeability" toroid but the material was not...
14
14

Fiberglass Sleeves for Old Worn Spark Plug Wires
After the insulation melts on the wires just slide the conductors into the insulating sleeves.
13
13

Protection for CMOS output?
I want to build a simple manual count-up system with a local as well as a remote 2-digit display. The system will be based on discrete CD4xxx CMOS logic and the count pulses will be sent to the remote...
2
2

Buck DC-DC converter online simulation
Online simulation of buck (step-down) DC-DC converter is ready. Read theory of operation:

Electronically Removing Just the Brass From the Supp é Light Calvary Overture
No, just making a recording w/o the trumpets isn't what is desired. Bret Cahill