Latest threads in Hobby Electronics Basicsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Energizer DUO USB battery charger contains a Trojan horse
"According to researchers at US-CERT (United States Computer Emergency Readiness Team), software that accompanies the Energizer DUO USB battery charger contains a Trojan horse that gives hackers total...

Low end scopes & where to buy
Hi, I'm searching for low end scopes such as Rigol, Atten, Owon, etc. So far I'm sold on the Rigol DS 1052E. I was about to buy it at because they're selling this $600 scope for $390. On their website...
12
12

Floating the 'scope
Why do they make 'scope inputs ground referenced to the third wire of the AC plug? Today I smoked the 10 ohm resistor that was separating The AC ground from the 'ground' of my circuit. I'd forgotten...
83
83

Choosing a PIC controller
Hi, I have been reviewing farnell's shop to get an idea of existing PICs, but I am clueless regarding which one i should choose. The PIC is connected to an accelerometer (input) and has 2 outputs, one...
6
6

Follow up on the Stepper Question: H-Bridge
I had posted recently about stepper motor control. Since that post and the replies I received I have come to the point of building the actual motor controller. Plenty of H-Bridges exist but I wanted...
10
10

DVB-RCS and DVB-S2?
Satellites... I can't seem to differentiate between DVB-RCS and DVB- S2. According to the fact sheet, DVB-RCS is a standard for two-way communications that involves a hub and one to many satellite...

Discharge a huge voltage
hello, I have a very simple circuit here, I am charging a 900uF capacitor to 600v. (900v max capacity) I want to discharge this at 0.01seconds interval. I have 30 ohm resistance, without so from my...
26
26

Resistor for neon indicator lamp
I've got a tankless electric water heater from eemax. that stopped working the other day. eemax won't provide any component level support, but I've ordered a new board for $45.00. When I opened up the...
28
28

Call For Manuscripts: International Journal of Signal Processing (IJSP)
Call For Manuscripts The International Journal of Signal Processing (IJSP) is currently accepting original high-quality research manuscripts for publication. The Journal welcomes the submission of...

PC oscilloscope for Linux
Hi, is there any PC Oscilloscope for which there exist Linux software under BSD or GPL or similar license? Naturally if the hardware (FPGA) is documented at circuit level - even better - witch I...
2
2

Help: Making Project boxes
I need some project boxes and was hoping to get advice on how to make them. I ruled out metal because small PCBs will be the contents of the boxes and for obvious reasons this will not work. That...
20
20

neg ldo problems
I'm guessing I'm missing the obvious here. I'm trying to build a discrete negative LDO using a NFET for the pass element. I'm basing it on the internal structure of the UCC284-5 seen here. I've tried...
2
2

Flyback poor regulation
I built a 10W multi-output flyback all of my outputs are reasonable except one my -12V output, it varies widely over line and load from -12.5V full load to -18.7 no load. I've been tinkering in spice...
2
2

ckt using LDR
hi, I'm planning to work with a simple ckt. Just have only few ideas about the ckt. following are the details: the ckt is meant to be a, heart pulse detecting ckt. main principle: finger tip is to be...
2
2

PCB toner transfer etchants
I've been reading up on this and the consensus is that ferric chloride is the most common compound to do the actual "etching". Is there some sort of more widely available chemical that will get the...
14
14