Why not turn off power grid one hour before hurricane sandy ?

Hello,

I was wondering to myself before Sandy hit if the power grid in New York should be turned off, to prevent casualties/deaths and ofcourse damage.

(Wow this message got interrupted by a red heli flying above my appartment complex twice, it was quite close, fortunately I am still alive lol.)

This could have prevented the power transformer from blowing up.

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

It's NYC... what else can I say? ...Jim Thompson

Skybuck Flying schrieb:

Hello,

if you want to restore power after the hurricane as quickly as possible, you have to test a lot of high voltage components for damages, water and ground faults. If you don't test all components, may be some parts will blow up when power is restored again. It is difficult to find a strategy that both saves time to restore power and keeps the number of destroyed components low. Customers will protest if power is turned off long before the hurricane hits the city.

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

Life Support applications. You just forced a transfer to a short lived back up source. Not to mention the massive startup surge needed when dumping power into rotary loads.

Steve

Reply to
osr

source. Not to mention the massive startup surge needed when dumping power into rotary loads.

Or what dropping that much load all at once would do the the generators.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You would think that they (power companies) would have thought of that.

This is not the first time power has gone out on a massive scale.

How did it come up the last time ?

hamilton

Actually they did shut down the generators that they expected to get flooded. The idea was they didn't want the cold water to hit the steam. However, this storm produced water levels that exceeded predictions. As you know, there is 4% more water vapor in the atmosphere now as compared to 40 years ago. So your once in a century storms are now much more common.

Reply to
miso

Power companies think about this a lot. The trouble is that no matter how much you think about it, the physics don't change.

My understanding is that they bring power up in smaller pieces to prevent overloading the generation capabilities. As to shutting down the power before? Well, I think the damage caused by leaving the power on may be less than the damage done by turning it off.

Rick

Reply to
rickman

Are there no laws of physics on your world? Sudden loss of load on those huge generators cause them to speed up, and can destroy the turbines, or bearings.

When has New York City ever gone down all at once? There have been cascade failures with area after area disconnecting from the grid as the system failed, but never the whole city. It takes a long time to synchronize a grid that size, and a long time to shut it down without damage.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yeah, not as if the overspeed protection would work !!

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

Not to worry. Only black helicopters are dangerous.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

The small nuclear power plant at Greely was overspun several times. Each time required the turbine to be dismantled and shipped stateside for overhaul. They finally decommissioned the plant.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Circuit breakers trip all the time. The generators are pretty well protected.

Big generator-type steam turbines usually have load-loss (like, broken shaft unload) time constants in the 2-8 second range, so overspeed shutdown has to be in a fraction of a second. On ships that I used to work on, I was told that if the HP turbine was unloaded at full power (broken shaft or stripped gear) it was going to come apart. As long as it was coupled to the LP turbine and stuff, the overspeed trips would protect it.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Too bad they missed!

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Did they find some real engineers for the next one ??

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

The problem was a lack of communication between the power plants on Alaska's power grid. They would add or drop generators without warning other facilities. That was the smallest nuke power plant, and an experimental system to see how it held up in subzero weather. The engineers were trained for the job, but there was too much ego in the operators of the other plants. At least Greely kept their diesel power plant as a backup, and reverted to it after the nuke was shut down for good.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Niagara Falls is hydro, not steam. They have to be carful of jackhammer, and flooding the plant if a supply line ruptures.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Crikey guys, the entire East side of North America is interconnected. You could shut off the entire state of New York without damaging any equipment as long as you dumped load sequentially and rebalanced generation as you went along.

Reply to
Ralph Barone

It all takes time. Even the cascading blackout of 2003 took place over 4 hours, and then it took a couple of days to get it all back up, even though little had actually been damaged.

Also power outages themselves cause deaths. People burn their houses down with candles, or die from carbon monoxide poisoning by running generators indoors.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Darwin at his best. The gene pool often needs more chlorine.

Reply to
who where