Why not turn off power grid one hour before hurricane sandy ?

They did perform a preemptive shutdown for the big stuff that was certain to be damaged:

From what I'm reading, it is the distribution substations that are the most time consuming repair, sometimes taking months if the damage is severe enough.

The other miscellaneous damage due to trees, toppled poles, and that kind of thing is nickel and dime and handled on a case by case basis.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

snipped-for-privacy@downunder.com laid this down on his screen :

The medium voltage network has to be the same size, it is just that there are fewer, maybe half as many, transformers in the 230/400volt countries.

--
John G
Reply to

that.

common.

Where is this documented?

?-(

Reply to
josephkk

Engraved in miso's colon during his last rectal "exercise" >:-}

The actual culprit is the natural temperature oscillation between Pacific and Atlantic... right now the Atlantic is increasing in temperature and the Pacific is cooling... bye, bye East Coast ;-) ...Jim Thompson

that.

on

broken

as

You

equipment

While true it is probably meaningless as it would take about 12 hours to do in a coordinated way. And the customers just ain't gonna stand for that.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Fleets of pink and black helicopters! How tacky.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom timing and laser controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer Multichannel arbitrary waveform generators

Never on the same mission. The pinks only track nutjobs. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

they make up for the lack of transformers with piles of electrocuted bodies in places with dangerous voltages to the home.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Nonsense. We are more careful than that. It appears our deaths by electrocution is a bit lower than the USA.

And a lot of US machinists would love to get 3 phase to their workshop. Almost anyone can get good clean 3 phase 400 volts here in Aus.

--
John G
Reply to

they aren't in europe.

3 phase isn't rare in the US at all. Is it something run to home? no, because there's no need for it.
Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Yawn. RPC are simple as dirt to build. I've seen them in use for over 45 years.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

In Finland there are 0-5 fatalities electrocution each year (population over 5 millions) including all voltages. Half of this happens to professionals, often with 20 kV medium voltages, lorry etc. drivers hitting overhead lines. Some have been killed by climbing on stationary trains and electrocuted by 25 kVac.

I counted less than a dozen fatalities at home from 230/400 V during the whole beginning of this century.

Reply to
upsidedown

I have seen applications where "backhoe fade" was the number one failure mode in both frequency and severity.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk