why analog electronics

I suspect that a neuron firing is like UPS delivering a set of encyclopedias.

lunatic fringe electronics

Godel might have said: "God made countably many provably undecidable statements within the confines of ZFC set theory"

Reply to
bitrex

Ok he might not have called it "ZFC set theory" but whatevs.

Reply to
bitrex

Even Quantum Mechanics is based on analog, but at the MBA level many OSI layers are ignored.

Reply to
Anthony Stewart

Or not.

Reply to
krw

On that scale, where do you put a class-D audio amplifier?

Reply to
krw

I would say analog. It is transferring power to your ears. The information is processed in your own head after that

Reply to
bulegoge

Even at the quantum level, an electron can only occupy quanized levels, so is it really analog then ?

boB

Reply to
boB

Depend on your definition of "eventually" I suppose.

ever heard of electromigration ?

boB

Reply to
boB

Do they make that much money? No wonder the UC system is always close to broke.

After what happened there lately I would not touch UC Berkeley with a

10ft pole.

We had a professor who seriously said something like this in front of the whole auditorium: "Now you don't have to deal with this sort of stuff in practice anymore, just for the exam. Because by the time you receive your degrees all of it will be inside ICs and you don't have to worry about board level analog design anymore".

Boy was that guy wrong. Of course, I knew it and went analog full tilt. The sad thing is that many of my mates believed him and went into software and other areas. Now us analog guys can't retire because of that.

Pricey. And no beer list so I'd prefer Zeitgeist.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

The guy is a low-integer billionaire. He owns some islands and stuff.

Agreed. But they have a good MBA program.

Keep it up! Less competition.

Could be worse, like getting a degree in anthropology and wind up selling matresses.

She said it was OK but she'd just a soon have a Bullburger.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

We'll have Leberkaes tonight:

It is kind of a "meat cheese". Goes very well with a Koelsch which is homebrewed, of course.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

/energy and the transfer and processing of information. Digital has comple tely won in the transfer of information

I think it's a bit early to say that. Computer evolution has a very long wa y to go, and there's a valid point to reintroducing some analogue into that . Some jobs are best/quickest/easiest/cheapest done digital, and some analo gue. A small amount of analogue processing could improve total performance.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Those who spout that there's now only digital forget the fact that virtually all I/O on a consumer product chip is analog. ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

They fire fast and they fire slowly. Plenty of analog in the time domain.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

wer/energy and the transfer and processing of information. Digital has com pletely won in the transfer of information

way to go, and there's a valid point to reintroducing some analogue into t hat. Some jobs are best/quickest/easiest/cheapest done digital, and some an alogue. A small amount of analogue processing could improve total performan ce.

I suppose like anything there are popular notions that sound like they add up to folk that know no different. I see lots of packaging of consumer prod ucts trying to give the impression things are digital when they're not, pla ying to this myth people have bought into. One of the more remarkable examp les was a PIR detector/alarm that was pictured on the package as emitting a grid of red light round the room. As if.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I was at this spendy restaurant, (a conference in/ near Santa Barbara) the only beer they had was a Belgian ale. Kono and I ordered too many bottles! Well really the perfect amount, we were walking home. My first taste of Belgian abbey ale. Affligem Dubbel.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

wwwWWWWWOOOOOOOSSSSHHhhhhhhhh....

Reply to
krw

Oxidizing ethylene gas over a catalyst can't make beer, but it'll get you hammered. And it's even dumber.

Ethanol exists in interstellar space, where we can be, well, somewhat certain that nothing is alive there. (But it would be quite the interesting revelation, if the ethanol turned out to be, say, the spirituous emanation of a sentient being. *hic*)

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

I suppose you'd put a buck regulator in the analog bin, too?

Reply to
krw