water cooling

I really need to cool my little pulse generator.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EWENKXO

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011QG23J2

Plus a big blue paint bucket from Loews half full of water, some
plastic tubing also from Loews, and a bunch of water bottles and
cold-packs cycled through the freezer downstairs. I drop a couple
frozen things into the bucket when the water starts to get warm.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zr513y8ioledjxt/T850_Water_Cooling.JPG?raw=1

Amazon rocks. This was pretty easy.

I had to get all the air out of the tubes to get the downhill syphon
going, or that tiny pump would only make a trickle.

Re: water cooling

And the air diffuses back in. Our millidegree Peltier-based thermostat started off with circulating water, but a service call every six months or so easily justified the switch to a heat pipe.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: water cooling
Does your lab bench always look that neat?

George H.

Re: water cooling
On Fri, 19 Oct 2018 06:36:51 -0700 (PDT), George Herold

Only when I take pictures.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: water cooling

OH, that's a big relief.  My bench looks way more like Jim Williams'
bench, and I NEVER take pictures of it.  Too embarrassing!

Jon

Re: water cooling

I couldn't work at a Williams or Pease level of chaos, on paper or on
the bench. I stop now and then to get physically and mentally
reorganized.

Beautiful circuits just work better.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5nlhqy7c8mt2xv3/LDP2.JPG?raw=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7bihbjbaojvta0z/Z382_1.JPG?raw=1

Re: water cooling

It's...why it is real nice I can't argue

Re: water cooling

You could probably sell those to rap guys to wear around their necks on
a chain or something after you're through as a value-add income stream

Re: water cooling

Those water blocks work well, I'm using ~4 of them strategically mounted
around this aluminum enclosure about 10" x 10" x 5" to cool a hot
processor! a small pump about the same height as the enclosure is
mounted externally.

I had to "machine" the right-angle connectors out of the original
straight-up brass fittings and some additional brass refrigerant
fittings from Home Depot with a Dremel and solder - regular 60/40
electronics solder and a maxed-out iron to 850 F works great for
soldering small brass parts like that.

It's a tight fit but the (custom) PSU, RAM, and drive also fit neatly
inside.

Whoops the top right screw on the processor bracket looks wonky i'll
have to fix that. The dpak buck converter MOSFETs at the front get
pretty hot to touch during operation too maybe I'll thermal epoxy some
small copper radiators to them as well.

<https://www.dropbox.com/s/9pbbgk4xjfn74dc/IMG_20181019_140108920_HDR.jpg?dl=0

Re: water cooling

What's interesting is that I can buy an aluminum cold plate from
Amazon for around a tenth of the price from Aavid or Wakefield or
McMaster. It's like heat sinks: the worst place to get a heat sink is
from a heat sink company.

Re: water cooling

Well, if you need a finned extrusion, there are only a few companies that
make that specialty item.  However, if you just want a block of aluminum,
then there are many more places that handle bulk metal, and rolled
aluminum is a better material than extruded, anyway.

Jon

Re: water cooling

I'll show you mine, if you show me yours.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9yh2atauprpavf8/bench.JPG?dl=0
It's been worse.

George H.

Re: water cooling

Looks fine to me.

The silliest thing about some of those late 1990s Star Trek programs
where like, the crew was trying to find their way home over years and
years was that the ship always looked brand-spanking new every episode.
That thing should be beat to hell after years in space without being
serviced, even with some kind of sci-fi micro meteorite shield or whateever

Re: water cooling

Good point.  You might want to send to the owner of the "Atomic
Rockets" web pile:
<http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/
The site specializes in trying to bring some reality into space
flight, space travel, and spaced out science fiction authors.  Maybe
add it to the "misconceptions" page:
<http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/misconceptions.php

See the index at the bottom of the home page.

Re: water cooling

I'm not the first one to notice it, at least one of the producers who
worked on some of those shows (name escapes me) noticed the same thing
and went on to play a larger role in the later Battlestar Galactica
series re-make. wWere more "realistically", or at least as realistic as
you can make a show about technology that doesn't exist, the Galactica
was a battered, ruined hulk on the verge of structural collapse at the
end of several years in space...

Re: water cooling

The several direct hits from nuclear bombs probably didn't help much
either despite the super-duper duranium magic alloy the hull was made
from or whatever

Re: water cooling

For my IF3602s I have bought some TO-5 coolers from Aavid in spite
of their shocking price tag. They looked sooo precise..

Bob Pease used a cylinder head of one of his air-cooled beetles.

A customer of mine did water cooling for their mixed signal wafer
testers. A 4096 channel system dissipated 50 KW from less than a cubic
meter. They were thinking that it should be easy to find a solution
for a cooler in the hometown of DB-Mercedes. That proved to be wrong.
Long-term corrosion from dissimilar metals / alloys; the need for
plastic hoses and water connectors since they had to be able to change
cooled boards; Chips on the boards were nekkid and made direct thermal

warmer & performance is not satisfying, cooler & the boards would
collect dew depending on weather. That does not go well with uncased chips.

It also turned out that plastic had to be completely opaque. Every
little bit of light that makes it into the water will ensure that
there is life in the water after a year. They found no poison that
they could add to the water to stop that.

cheers,
Gerhard

Re: water cooling
On Sat, 20 Oct 2018 02:44:38 +0200, Gerhard Hoffmann

I used to drive past his house now and then. The front yard and most
of the street was covered with various rusting Beetles and
Microbusses.

I have a TO-247 SiC fet that I really want to keep cool. Ideal would
be cold water flowing directly across the metal bottom of the package.

Re: water cooling

I drove a late 70s Superbeetle at one point, a car from before my time.
It's madness, how did anyone ever drive those on the open highway? Felt
like some kind of diabolical contraption from the 1920s. Scary.

One of my father's good friends was killed in a VW Microbus collision in
the late 70s sometime, you're just right up front with nothing but the
windscreen to "protect" you.

Re: water cooling

Pease died in a Beetle.

lunatic fringe electronics