USB hub follies

We're getting ready to ship a bunch of systems to our fire prevention customer, and to our horror found that the FTDI 230 USBserial chip was getting super hot and shutting down.

After a bit of digging around, it turned out to be a Sabrent HB-U14P USB which was dragging USB- *below ground* by about 400 mV. Works fine with a normal 0-3V swing on the USB.

I bought the thing off Amazon, so it should be legit, but whoever heard of a USB hub with a negative supply internally?

A pity--I've had good luck with Sabrent gear up till now.

Anybody got a fave decent-quality USB hub?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
https://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

The Sabrent HB-U14P is a 13 port USB 2.0 hub. If you really need 13 ports, it's going to be difficult to find a replacement. AliExpress has some possibilities (which I haven't tried):

I've had difficulties with a similar 7 port USB 2.0 hub. The problem turned out to be the junk power supply. Fully loaded with 7 devices, each port consuming about 300 ma, the 5V 1A power supply would not supply the needed 2.1A. When I replaced it with a 5V 2A power supply, the PS protested by going into oscillation. That might be the source of the negative voltage. When I ran it from a 5v 20A bench power supply, it worked, but the hub became rather warm. Note that 300ma per port is well below the 500ma per port allowed by the hub specifications. I can imagine that 13 ports drawing a total of 6.5A at maximum load, would be worse. Anyway, look for power supply overload, fold back, and oscillations.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

I just tossed it. ;)

We don't actually need that many ports anyway. I'm not sure how an oscillating PSU is going to generate actual negative rail voltages, especially since it has only two wires, but it's an interesting idea.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
https://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

a switch or something like that in the supply ground for the output ports?

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen