uglySpice

There ought to be some sort of IgNobel kind of prize for the ugliest LT SPice schematics.

lunatic fringe electronics

I'm not going to go looking, but I've seen worse.. at least that has the opamps and transistors mostly pointing in the right direction.

GH

Reply to
George Herold

Wow. I didn't know LT could simulate rat's nests. The comp.lang.c community used to hold an "Obfuscated C Contest" for the most impenetrable and unreadable source code. Perhaps we should do likewise for circuits?

Cursitor Doom

You can make it a little less ugly-duckling by changing the colors... I've changed everything to black-on-white, except selections are red.

You can also change the hot keys. I've changed my LTspice hot keys to match the same as in PSpice Schematics, making it much easier for me to switch back-and-forth. ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

Judging by the barely readable labels on the controls (Gain, Bass, Mids, Treble), it's some kind of audio contrivance.

The messier the drawing, the better it works.

I like the idea of a contest. However, I suggest that the contest entries be limited to things that actually function in some useful manner. It's all too easy to connect some random parts together and call it "art". My eHatBand:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Barbarian!

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Hardly. While I must admit that my hatband would be rather difficult to model with LTspice, it does fit my requirement that it provides a useful function. In this case, it's a hat band. I didn't wear it too often as it was rather top heavy with solder and tended to break apart easily. Form doesn't always follow function.

Did you notice the capacitor with only one soldered lead? It's above and slightly to the left of the red wire.

I dunno about the gold plated PCB. It's beautiful and won't tarnish, but allegedly marginally solderable: "Hard gold is not generally applied to solderable areas, because of its high cost and its relatively poor solderability." Now, if you want art, without the cost of gold, may I suggest buffing the original copper PCB with red jewelers rouge and a buffing wheel in a bench grinder. It is possible to get a mirror finish. Then, protect the copper from tarnishing with a thin layer of acrylic spray (Krylon) or other conformal coating, preferably with a UV dye for inspection.

Also, if you want a really useful and artistic PCB, I suggest you add the signal flow to the silk screen, including arrows showing the direction of flow. I've done this a few times to make life easier for the service techs. Unfortunately, the PCB layout department threatened to revolt over the extra work, so it did not become standard practice where I introduced the practice.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

That was fixed. That circuit didn't work very well, but it sure was pretty.

If you even splash a little dab of solder on it, it sticks forever. It is amazingly solderable. That is ENIG, gold over nickel. I had a couple of square feet of double-side copperclad plated up by our board house.

All our PC boards are ENIG lately. It doesn't tarnish, solders beautifully, and is very planar, great for BGAs.

SoftScrub shines up copperclad beautifully, but in a week or two it will be grody again. With fingerprints.

Tricky for a 600 ball BGA!

We do mark off channels and stuff in silkscreened boxes.

I sometimes add a heart with "D" inside, which means "We love Dean." He's a Fellow of a giant aerospace company and has given us a ton of business.