O.T.: Interesting article in the New Yorker

Rosenstein said Friday that the indictment does not contain any allegations that any Americans knowingly participated in the activity. "There is no allegation in this indictment that any American was a knowing participant in this illegal activity," he said. "There is no allegation in the indictment that the charge conduct altered the outcome of the 2016 election."

lunatic fringe electronics

Cool fact: lots of people make up their own "facts."

lunatic fringe electronics

Have you ever heard the expression "Reading between the lines"?

While Rosenstein said 'the indictment does not contain' he did not say that the Russians were unsuccessful in trying to manipulate the US election, only that these indictments do not appear to be evidence or enough evidence to publicly say anything at that time.

The investigation is still ongoing...

John

Reply to
John Robertson

The left's media coverage has been over 90% negative, mostly over made-up or trivial nonsense.

This article is a good example of mental floss for credulous readers.

Example: "Indeed, it?s getting harder every day to claim that Steele was si mply spreading lies, now that three former Trump campaign officials?Fl ynn, Papadopoulos, and Rick Gates, who served as deputy campaign chairman? ?? have all pleaded guilty to criminal charges,"

That's dumb. Not one of them has pleaded to anything having to do with "colluding with Russians," the original pretext, only 'process' crimes occasioned by the investigation itself.

Mueller indicted a number of Russians on charges of being foreigners, who did not register as foreign agents, and accepted pay without reporting their financial expenditures to the Federal Election Commission, to influence an American election.

But Steele did all those things too. So he plainly is a criminal under Mueller's own theory.

"[I]f Mueller?s theory is correct, three things make Steele a crimi nal: first, he is a foreign citizen; second, he tried to influence an election, which he received payments to do (including from the FBI itself); and thir d, he neither registered as a foreign agent nor listed his receipts and expenditures to the Federal Election Commission. Also, according to the FB I, along the way, Steele lied?a lot, while the dossier he disseminate d contained its own lies based on bought-and-paid for smears from foreign sources reli ant on rumors and innuendo.

Steele is a foreigner, not registered as a foreign agent, accepting pay fro m Hillary and the DNC via FusionGPS, making unreported expenditures, to influ ence the same election.

So under Mueller's theory, Steele ought to be indicted too.

The whole witch hunt is unconstitutional. In America it is a critical requirement burned into the Constitution's 4th Amendment that we must always start with reasonable suspicion of a specific, articulated /crime/ and look for the person, /never/ start with a person and look for a crime.

It's a huge difference. One of those is justice, the other is Eastern-bloc style persecution.

Cheers, James Arthur

~~~ "Show me the man and I'll find you the crime." Beria, Stalin's henchman

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Russians also sponsored Trump protest rallies, e.g.,

It seems Russians wanted to sow discord, which is why Democrats are so upset--that's their job ('community organizing' and all that).

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

It was an interview with a book author about tribalism.

which would be interesting, except that the host started making Trump insults for no reason, and the author joined in. Five minutes of that was enough.

She lost one book sale.

TDS

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Sounds like a bunch of hackers, or several different bunches of hackers, making trouble for fun. The actual effort, and effect, were minor.

TDS

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Which is equivalent in this particular case to TDS, Trump Derangement Syndrome... reading what you want to read into the whitespace between the lines.

Design something; you'll feel better.

And so far has produced basically nothing.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

That speaks to absence of evidence, but NOT to evidence of absence. So, 'Mueller concluded' is a distortion, because Mueller hasn't in fact announced that (or any other similar) conclusion.

Generating fake news: -1 point. Advising 'Look it up': +1 point. So, net result: pointless.

Reply to
whit3rd

Utterly false, of course. Unless Steele were, for instance, a Church of England employee?

Steele couldn't register as a 'foreign agent' unless he were an agent of a foreign power (government), nor can he be indicted (except by ambiguous language used to conceal fact).

Foreign agent status recognizes acting for a foreign state, not acting for Hillary Clinton. 'Being foreign" doesn't enter into it.

Reply to
whit3rd

Don't even bother to try to pound any sense into his head, he has been so conditioned from birth and his parents obviously that no amount of detailing is going to change his mind.

The left did a good job at hiding their dirty activities over the years.

Most of these jerks are so unaware of what is really happening out thare and we have the media (mostly) to thank for that. The media is and has been a propaganda tool for the left for longer than I can even remember, most likely before I was born.

The left keep them employed and make sure anything dirty printed points to the right and by doing so, their form of businesses get special treatment while hard working, and honest businesses are falling apart from the strain of supporting the lefties, the asses, the failures..

THe real problem is that most of the media outlets know their days are numbered and they'll lie, cheat do what ever to help out DC to supply the lies to go along with it.

Personally myself, I am getting tired of the FREE READS I get in my EMail box everyday just clutting it up. I get email from Amazon everyday that has the Wastington Post in it, I don't even bother to open it, it is such a waste of my band space to even down load it.. Then there is the NY-times that tries to offer me short news reports, the case is the same, I delete it, I don't even bother to read it any more..

I get more honest news reading foregn news media about the US then most reporting media in the US>

IT gets pretty bad when you have to read news from outside the US to find out what is really going on...

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

And of course the US would *never* take sides in the elections of any other country! That would be wrong.

Reply to
krw

ce

John Larkin doesn't have much standing as a literary critic. And his compre hension of the way newspaper reporters evaluate their sources also leaves s omething to be desired.

Nobody else is seeing a "horrible drop" in the quality of US journalism. Wh at seems to be going on is that John Larkin likes Trump - as any egocentric buffoon would - and resents seeing objective criticism of his hero.

So was Dubbya's. It the kind of mistake that right wing buffoons fall into.

That won't work so well when the articila and unnecessary stimulus runs out .

He doesn't seem to have dropped any Sarin recently, but chlorine is also a poison gas.

index.html

John Larkin may have meant "scared". Korea still has nuclear weapons and th e means to deliver them.

ral policy.

John Larkin believes everything that denialist web-sites say about anthropo genic global warming. He's too gullible to realise that people who dig up f ossil carbon and make money selling it aren't likely to put money into tell ing people about the more unfortunate side-effects of this activity, even i f the science suggesting that it is a bad idea is rock-solid (which he'd be able to work out for himself if he knew anything about science).

I imagine he will. It shouldn't be too difficult, but ploughing through Joh n Larkin's voluminous output isn't a rewarding activity.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

s.

.

Not exactly true. The Russians didn't want Hillary Clinton in the White Hou se because she'd been an effective secretary of state, which had inconvenie nced them, so they didn't want her as president. It makes sense that they w ould support her rivals - first Bernie sanders and then Donald Trump.

Sure. Anything that make's Trump's presence in the White House a consequenc e of Russian meddling in the US electoral process is a signal that you don' t want to see, so you filter it out.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Whereas Republican gerrymandering and voter de-registration drives prevent discord from influencing who gets elected.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Not nearly as many as harvest "facts" they like from unreliable sources, and pass them on.

Cursitor Doompost links to "Russia Today", Jim Thompson posts links to HotAir, and John Larkin posts links to denialist web sites.

Critical thinking does involve looking at the plausibility of the "facts" you tout.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Of course all that Russia stuff is pointless, neurotic hysteria.

This is real:

I want a red hat that says

MAKE AMERICA CRAZY AGAIN

lunatic fringe electronics

ans.

se

is.

ce

en

ians-swung-election

n(s).

Not exactly. The indictment isn't the last one that the Mueller investigati on could produce - it hasn't been shut down yet - and Mueller has yet to ta lk to Trump. He may want to talk to him about what Trump is prepared to adm it knowing about the Russian interventions in the election campaign, but he may also want to talk to him about the money-laundering that seems to have been going on before the election.

There's nothing particularly deranged about thinking that Trump might have been up to no good before he started running for president - he's admitted that he bribed people back then.

The evidence of Russian intervention in US elections isn't nothing, and it took a long time for that to get converted into an indictment.

Ken Starr was busy for several years before he produced his mole-hill.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

With Trump tweeting trivial nonsense several times a day, it's difficult to find anything to be positive about.

simply

Flynn,

??

So why dd they take the risk of lying to the investigators?

, to > influence an American election.

Actually, he didn't. He prepared a report for the Democratic National Commi ttee, who might have used it to influence the election, but didn't.

He never lied about who he was, nor made any attempt to influence the elect orate directly. What the Democratic National Committee did with his report was th eir business.

minal:

n,

ird,

FBI,

ted contained

liant

rom

Preparing a report for the Democratic National Committee isn't trying to in fluence the election. He didn't make it public, and neither did they.

Only if you are as legally unsophisticated as James Arthur is pretending to be.

.

Nobody was looking for a crime. The trawl was aimed at finding out what kin d of rumours were flying around. The trawl wasn't carried out under any pre text of being any kind of criminal investigation.

oc

It looks more like US-style gutter journalism. The aim was a little more re spectable - nobody was looking to collect the kind of evidence that might s upport a prosecution, but they were incidentally looking for leads that mig ht eventually point a proper prosecution at fertile ground.

The evidence of money laundering for the Russians by some of Trump's collea gues that has now come out, does seem to justify that kind of preliminary m uck-raking trawl.

/

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Anybody who thinks that anything printed in the Daily Mail is "real" - as opposed to "spun to make Cursitor Doom happy" is quite crazy enough to be allowed to wear any kind of hat he chooses.

Of course if he is going to get anywhere near tools with sharp edges, the kind of shirt with very long sleeves (strait jacket)that can be tied behind the back to stop him grabbing things, might be a required part of the costume.

Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to
bill.sloman