More on coltage controlled PMT high voltage supply

I build the proto type, this high voltage supply can do more than 2 kV output. It runs from 5 V DC, and uses about 11 mA with 1250 V output. It is controlled by a DC voltage of 0 to +5V, the output voltage is always 546 x this input voltage. So for a control voltage of 0V, the output is 0 V, and for a control voltage of 2 V the output is - (minus) 1092V. The relation is linear, but the sign is reversed.

Upon multiple requests and mainly because I could not do this in ASCII art, and all I have is pencil sketches, I did draw the diagram in a more Christmas like color (coming up soon):

The interesting part is the control circuit. I forgot to order CMOS opamps, and anyways those often have no offset compensation. But I found some BF245 FETs while looking for OA91 diodes? Or did I find the diodes looking for the FETs? anyways build my own opamp. After several sketches (no spice I do not use it), and doing calculations for a LM324 like, but an LM324 has some input current, and this is all very high impedance, that would create > 20 % error. And FETs have large tolerances and not much gain in circuits like this. Also the common mode range was problematic for all those kind of solutions. So, here it is, zero common mode range, and oh yes, the output goes negative but there is no negative opamp supply. So this circuit solves this. The gate of Q7 is always at zero volts +- a few millivolt. There is quite a bit of gain, as Q5 drives the top series regulator (beta). A PIC can generate a 0 to 5 V voltage using 255 PMW steps (or more, it can do 10 bits too at a lower frequency), this is filtered and then used as control voltage, The impedance of the control system is 2M2, and should be driven from a low impedance source (relative to 2M2). The factor 546 I have done in the software, so you can enter the PMT HV voltage directly. The high voltage divider is simply[] 10 120 MOhm SMD resistors is series:
on the left side, vertical. That capacitor should go to the other side later:
Oops, 7 transistors! And no I did not have a smaller trimpot of the correct value. All the way on the right the 2M2. The capacitors are 400V DC types, because, after all.. 5 x 546 = 2730 V. Have to tried that high, and will not try that high. Some other features: There is a build in current limiting for the PMT, so it does not fry if you accidently keep it in the light, This current limit is set by the beta of the series regulator (measured 250), and the current mirror's resistor to +5V. And other interesting aspect is that this circuit has different voltages for the different dynodes, for example the voltage between the cathode and A1 is 2 x the voltage between A1 and A2, and the voltage between A8 and A7 is supplied by a separate rectifier and 1.5 x the voltage between A1 and A2. The whole thing uses about 11 mA at 5 V for 1250 V output.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

t,

tmas like color (coming up soon):

pg

pensation.

s.

y.

).

ow impedance source

oltage directly.

.
50),

for the different dynodes,

ween A1 and A2,

1.5 x the voltage between A1 and A2.

That's Great Jan! I can see the schematic! I hope it's OK if I copy it down? When Hamamatsu decide to raise prices again I can think about building our own.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

art,

istmas like color (coming up soon):

.jpg

ompensation.

ns

ons.

ply.

ta).

low impedance source

voltage directly.

s:

V.

250),

s for the different dynodes,

etween A1 and A2,

nd 1.5 x the voltage between A1 and A2.

Yeah, that's it. You've not been following Jan's PMT supply threads.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

On a sunny day (Mon, 31 Oct 2011 21:29:16 -0400) it happened Bitrex wrote in :

Yes, very stable. I tried the LM324 opamp version, with added FETs as input, but with a lot of gain that one becomes unstable, and you have to add PID RCs etc, and reduce gain, even more components.

The nice thing about this one is that it is so easy to adjust (offset). Just feed 1V into the control input, and adjust the trimpot until that gate of the Q7 is at zero volts. Then increase the control voltage to 2 V, and if that gate stays at 0V plus or minus some millivolts, then the feedback works, and the output is OK.

The meter impedance at that gate has very little influence, as it is a sort of bridge circuit, 0 V over the meter... To get the accuracy take the few mV difference you get from zero and compare it to the control voltage. For example if that gate is zero at 1 V, and 0.03 at 2 V, it means 30 mV x 546 =

16.38 V error on 2 x 456 = 1092 V output, or 1.5 %. Or .03 / 2 = 1.5 % .

Well, the diff pair has is OK, and the transistors should track, the whole thing is in a pipe, and sees the same temperature. I heated up the FETs with the soldering iron one at the time, and that does not seem to cause disaster. But indeed I should run some temp test if it is all build in. These FETs have a huge difference in Vgs cutoff for even the same batch, -0.25 to -8V ! I use S as in mA/V from my old tube days, these are 3 to 6.5 mA/V! (mS).

The current source is really not critical, in fact I dunno what to set it too for a safe value for the PMT. It is just a protection against somebody shining a lot of light on the PMT and causing a huge continuous anode current that would fry it.

No, mine is VERY different ;-) LOL. whose this Larkin anyways? Does he post here?? :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Mon, 31 Oct 2011 19:00:05 -0700 (PDT)) it happened George Herold wrote in :

Feel free to build your own, it is not yet patented :-) LOL But you will have to wind the transformer! In my view, if this is outsourced to China, it can be done for 5 dollars.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

The transformer is not too hard is it? (I guess I have to get the phases right.) At what frequency are you running the C-W multiplier? And how much of that frequency is on the anode?

Five dollars? Don't the high voltage caps cost more than that?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold