lightning

Lightning is rare here, and ground strikes are very rare. we had about

1200 ground hits last night. Our overhead power lines don't often have top ground wires, so lighning will hit the power conductors.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

You left off the O.T. Lightning is electrical, not electronic.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Sounds like more thunderstorms. We seem to be having more here last couple of years. That's great... we love them.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

We sit out on the patio, with a glass of wine, and watch the "show". With the Superstition Mountains only 10 miles to the north, and in our line of sight, it can be quite spectacular. ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box...producing elegant & economic solutions.

You can detect severe weather including tornadoes by locating lightning strikes:

Network for Lightning and Thunderstorms in Real Time

The organization is a volunteer, global effort to map lighting strikes.

You can join by making your own lightning detector. Here is a brief description:

Project Description - (14. February 2016, 11:10) Assembly Instructions System Blue - (under developement)

Our newest detector system is called "System Blue". It will replace the former detector system called "System Red". The essential difference between the two systems is the way how these systems are assembled. System Red is a kit with mainly wired components. System Blue contains mostly SMD parts. It will be delivered partially assembled. In addition, the amplifier and filter system have been changed as well as the digital part. System Blue is also prepared for an installation in a compact housing. This is achieved by the dimension of the controller board and the arrangement of the terminals. We will probably start with a minimal basic version similar to that what we are currently testing, see the pictures above. Later on, the system can be extended by further components and adjusted according to the experience acquired.

The current system Red is described here. I mirrored the pdf file to reduce the load on their server and to increase your download speed:

System Red Mirror

Steve Wilson

Most cool. Our storm has moved out and it looks like Truckee is getting hit pretty good.

lunatic fringe electronics

The closest lightning strike I ever experienced was in 1985. I was washing my car in my front yard under a torrential downpour when it struck a tree at the far end of my backyard, 60m from where I was standing. It was LOUD, louder than when a bomb exploded 30m from my house some 15 years ago. My servant, who'd been looking out a back window, said that he was almost knocked off his feet by the shockwave.

But the biggest lightning strike by far in my experience was in September 1984. I was in a friend's house when it struck at about

7 pm. It felt really really close. The TV died immediately. Half an hour later, their daughter cam home from night college half a kilometer away and she said that it felt like the strike was right next door. The next day, I received reports of lightning damage from power stations in various parts of the state, some of them 150 km apart. The strikes all occurred at the same time and everyone claimed that the strike was really close to them.
Reply to
Pimpom

I was walking in a parking lot in the rain holding an umbrella with a metal pole.

lightning hit a tower about 200 yards away.

I felt a shock from the umbrella.

makolber

I did some circuit design in the early '80's for a Tucson company, Lightning Location & Protection (some U of A professors & grad students).

Detection was via E-field and B-field, and multiple units were data-linked across the state (in those days) by acoustic modems ;-) ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Thinking outside the box...producing elegant & economic solutions.

Probably positive lightning. Those "bolts from the blue" come out the top of the storm. The can travel miles, and they're much more intense than the little bitty negative ones.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs