iPhone SE ??

After years of dragging my feet I'm considering a "smart" phone.

As one who prefers a small phone, not a hand-distorter, I'm
considering the iPhone SE.

Comments?

                                        ...Jim Thompson
Re: iPhone SE ??

What are your *needs*?  Do you want a phone?  "Tip calculator"?
Portable web browser?  etc.

And, what are your capabilities/limitations (dexterity, vision, etc.)?

I keep a 6S in the car (too big to carry on my person) for the times
when I need a camera, internet access, etc. while traveling.  I carry
an old LG <mumble> on my belt, otherwise (much smaller size, less
obtrusive, etc.)

Both are annoying as they are effectively two-handed devices
(I think you need a slide-phone to get around that).  But,
better than nothing.

[Note that I don't use a phone AS a "voice communicator" so can't
comment on that aspect]

Re: iPhone SE ??

My girlfriend has an Android smartphone, I was amazed at what you can
get for not much more than $100 in Linux-land these days

Re: iPhone SE ??

That must be about the first sensible comment you've ever posted here.

Re: iPhone SE ??

The LG is "handy" because it's small (~3 inch display) so it doesn't require
a shirt-front pocket or other place suitable for large items (if I bend over
to lift something, I don't want a phone slipping out of a shirt pocket and
crashing on the cement).

It sees most of its use as:
- timepiece (I don't wear a watch as my hands are often around
   things that object to unwanted conductors)
- camera
- magnifying glass (what idiot decided that 4 pt type was useful
   for ANYTHING??)
- quick check of email (WiFi)

And, it lets my music come with me so I can just step into the
car without having to figure out what I want to listen to *there*
(the music pauses as soon as I exit the vehicle and resumes the
next time I reenter it)

It *could* have use as a calculator (I'm pretty good at doing
arithmetic in my head so not needed).

And, of course, as a 911-phone (thankfully never needed).

[It also lets me interact with much of the kit around the house
using a "visual" interface]

It would be *lousy* as an ebook reader.  I currently use Color
Nook's for that -- though they are painfully large which makes
carrying them places tedious (doctor/dentist office, any place
where I am likely to have time to kill, etc.).  I may try to
use the 6S in that capacity as it would be considerably more
portable than the Nooks (despite being pretty small)

For me, much of this is an exercise in learning what it is like to
have to *carry* a piece of kit around, keep it charged, etc.

Re: iPhone SE ??
On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 13:40:14 -0700, Don Y

I keep my Note-5 in my front pants pocked on the weekends.  Workdays,
I carry it in a belt "holster".  Works fine.

Texts (pick up milk), Internet, settle arguments, look up movie times,
make reservations, watch movies, navigate, find restaurants...

Audio Books are quite nice on long trips.

I use an HP-11C emulator on mine.  Works great, though the hysterisis
on the buttons sucks.

A regular phone (thankfully, I receive exceedingly few calls).

I have a 7" Nook (a subsidized Galaxy Tab-A), too, but I don't use it
as an eReader.  It's too big to carry around.  I use it in the gym to
watch Netflix.  Makes a couple of hours on the treadmill bearable.

It shouldn't take a lot of thought.  I just "hang it up" (Qi charger)
by the bed at night.  It doesn't move overnight.  As a bonus, it's
there to keep my blood pressure record (Bluetooth connected meter).

Re: iPhone SE ??
On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 12:19:38 -0700, Jim Thompson

I think you'll find iOS "weird".  After having several smart phones, I
definitely prefer the larger ones.  My Note-5 isn't quite big enough.
I think I'd like it about an inch larger (still pocket sized but
just).

Re: iPhone SE ??

Fine if you're happy about paying fancy money just for the name. I
wouldn't touch anything Apple, personally. It's a cult for those with
more money than sense.

Re: iPhone SE ??
On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 20:07:13 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom

They aren't much more expensive than the equivalent Samsung.  You pay
for quality.

Re: iPhone SE ??

I finally broke down and got my first cell phone and got the SE. All the
power of the 6 in a small size, and only $200 new. Since I already have
an iPad I don't need to buy any apps for it, and I was pleasantly
surprised to see that the iPad rings when the phone does, and I can make
and receive calls on the iPad now too. Android may do that too, but I
think it just shows you're better off staying within one system or the
other.

Re: iPhone SE ??
On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 12:19:38 -0700, the renowned Jim Thompson

Nothing wrong with the Apple phones, they're rather nice, as are the
new higher end Android (Huawei, Samsung etc.). They just work. I did
notice some glitchiness it tethering iPhone to Win 7 but they seem to
have fixed that. I have an "obsolete" iPhone 5 (battery already
replaced once) and the youngster the smaller size of 6 (he had a
choice between the larger screen and more memory and wisely chose the
latter.. it doesn't take long to fill up the smaller memory
allocations. C. has a Blackberry Priv, again - very nice phone. All
the nice ones are $500+. USD- nice being a combination of great
super-sharp screen, responsive touch, powerful processor, reasonable
battery life, enough memory, not too ugly, good cameras. The biggest
gripe I have with Apple is the lack of a micro SD slot and the high
prices they charge for memory.

I think the SE still has a 3.5mm jack, which is a deal breaker for me
if it's gone.

If you want to get full use of it try to get a generous or unlimited
data plan (at least 2G/month) until you figure out how you will use
it. You may be able to dump satellite radio and your GPS and your mini
camera (and your calculator, and a flashlight and a few other things)
and, if necessary, you can even call people on it (one of the
lesser-used apps). A lot of the time you can use Wifi but the times
when it comes in most useful seems to be when you're out of range of
free Wifi.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Re: iPhone SE ??
On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 19:23:49 -0400, Spehro Pefhany

I haven't noticed anything getting better.  I have an iPod Touch
(essentially an iPhone-5, sans radio).  It's always "interesting"
getting stuff moved to the iPod and iTunes *insists* on doing things
its way, including mucking up my music library.

IMO, iPhones are great if you live in an iWorld.  If you do Windows,
you're much better off with Android.

I've never used the jack on my current phones.  Everything is
Bluetooth now.  I'd gladly trade it for more water resistance.

But you can use *it* as a hotspot (of course your data plan applies).
I do it all the time.

Re: iPhone SE ??
On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 19:49:22 -0400, the renowned snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com

That's a false trade. There is no reason why they can't waterproof a
3.5mm jack- Samsung does it AFAIUI. My car is old enough that it can
pair with BT for calls, but not stream music so I need the aux port or
an adapter of some kind. I also have two Bose noise-cancelling and a
couple other expensive headsets with 3.5mm cords.

I was looking at the Sony top end noise cancelling BT headphone- even
better than the Bose, but unfortunately priced even higher.

Hence my 'tethering' comment above, but not all data plans allow it.
Sure is nice to be able to use a full laptop interface while driving
down the Pacific Coast highway (as a passenger, of course!).

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Re: iPhone SE ??
On Wed, 12 Jul 2017 10:25:14 -0400, Spehro Pefhany

Do they?  I didn't think Samsungs could be immersed.

Mine's the same, so I don't do it.  I use an iPod for this purpose,
the few times I do it.  Bozo has some interesting Bluetooth earwigs
that are supposed to be really good.  One of my Cow-orkers came from
Bose and pointed me to them.  I have a couple of pairs of LGs but they
don't have any noise cancelling.

The Bose set, above, is $300US.  Bit on the high side for me since my
use-case is mowing the lawn.  My LGs are good for everyday use and the
gym.

They don't?  I thought everyone allowed it these days.  If I were
driving (riding) down the Pacific Coast Highway, I doubt I'd have my
face in a laptop.  I'm about to put a GPS in my truck, mainly for the
backup camera but also for better navigation (display).

Re: iPhone SE ??

They do.

"""
Do not immerse the Samsung Galaxy S7/S7 edge in water deeper than
1.5 metres and do not keep it submerged in water less than 1.5 metres
deep for more than 30 minutes.
"""

  HTTPS://www.samsung.com/au/pdf/IP68.pdf

Re: iPhone SE ??

There are many non-audio devices that make use of the analog headphone
jack. <https://techcrunch.com/2016/09/07/applejack/

And as you stated, it's possible to still have a waterproof phone with a
headphone jack. Apple had good reasons to eliminate the headphone jack
because it drives more revenue through licensing fees, it reduces
manufacturing costs, and it reduces warranty repair costs, and few
iPhone users are going to move to Android as a result of the loss of the
headphone jack.

Android phone makers don't have the luxury of being able to de-content
their products since there is so much competition, and similarly, it's
why you see new features on Android products long before the same
features appear on the iPhone (3G, LTE, NFC, fast charging, wireless
charging, large screens, etc.), no Android maker wants to be at a
disadvantage compared to other Android makers, but iPhone aficionados
are perfectly willing to wait a year or two for those features.

Yeah, Cricket now charges extra for tethering, and only offers it on
higher cost plans.

Re: iPhone SE ??

The iPhone includes a 3.5mm headphone jack adapter for no extra charge.

Slightly less convenient but you can plug a 3.5mm jack device into the phone to attach to audio systems etc.

Re: iPhone SE ??

I think you'll be happier with an Android.  You'd probably think the
Apple OS is Californicated.  I think of it that way.

Re: iPhone SE ??

"shit's gay brah, the OS might give me a case of the gays"

Re: iPhone SE ??
On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 22:56:11 -0400, "Tom Del Rosso"

Very good analogy!

Site Timeline