interesting thing about renewable energy

Once you've burnt the last lump of coal, it's all gone, and the side effects of anthropogenic global warming are going to distract us from finding more lumps of coal long before we'll get to the last one.

The sun is going to keep on emitting photons at more or less the current rate for the next 5.4 billion years

after which it's utility as a power source will be compromised by it's evolution into a red giant with a diameter approaching the earth's current orbit and a couple of thousand times more luminosity than it now has.

The individual photons aren't renewable, but they will keep on coming for a while yet.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Isn't that silly advice? The fact that Japanese live longer than others does not show living in Japan will make you live longer. There are untold factors in that equation including many that you can do nothing about even from birth. For example, you can't change your genes.

--

Rick
Reply to

There are much more reliable and easier to use methods like

which is cheap enough even for developing countries.

Reply to
upsidedown

Wind, waves, biomass etc. are just some forms of converted solar energy with some degree of efficiency.

Of course, the solar energy is not renewable on the billion year time scale, but who cares at th human time scale.

The question, is geothermal energy renewable is interesting. While some radioactive decay generates much heat in the Earth's core, most geothermal projects rely on the fact that the internal heat has created pockets of hot water for thousands of years. Drilling into these pockets will get a lot of energy for a short time (decades) but after that, it takes thousands of years to recharge.

Reply to
upsidedown

On a sunny day (Fri, 21 Nov 2014 17:31:13 -0800) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

I agree with that article, nuculear is the only option. The greens are idiots.

But the CO2 warming jive may not be true, climate has always changed. So using the CO2 warming jive to push nuculear, is same as green idiots using renewables to push their agenda.

To be ready for the changing climate we need to bring as much power online as we can.

And mining Uranium is not that safe either, I would not want to be one of those blacks shoveling it in trucks without proper protective clothing. The dust also contains plutonium, and if inhaled will kill them faster than the wars over there.

But that can all be mechanized I would think.

BTW I have a big solar panal in use (100W or so) and it works, small windmills work too, lost of farmers hare have thsoe.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Fri, 21 Nov 2014 20:05:07 -0800 (PST)) it happened Bill Sloman wrote in :

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

If you can afford to emigrate you'll already be in a group with a better than average life-expectancy.

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

Somewhat tongue-in-cheek. The reference to the Japanese diet is a give-away.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Nice. We could fix that "kick start" start up thing easily by changing one value to satisfy the self-start constraints, but by this time it's probably one of the things you like best!

Using photons to make photons later is cool.

You could shine the LED flashlight on your solar array to make power, and probably sell it to the Dept. of Energy for "green" millions.

(Be sure to write it up in NASA tech briefs first--that pays $75, IIUC.)

Cheers! James

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

It is silly advice.

If you're not in a gang, didn't die from being born 1/4 weight to a Great Society teen mom, avoid fatally wrecking your car in your teens, and don't get killed in a war, you're better off here.

IOW, lifestyle choices.

A lot of Japan's magic is likely that they were all on 1,500 calorie rations in WWII (and eschew obesity to this day).

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

The IEEE article was OK, but never talks about fission.

erse-climate-change

Re: all the energy from the sun. There was a blog(?) by a scientist talkin g with an economist. (That I think was liked to here sometime in the past.) Where if you assume that economies have to keep expanding at ~2%, then soo ner or later we run out of energy.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

The data here (U.S.) is that if you take even the most basic measures not to abuse yourself, life expectancy increases ~8 or 10 years.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

On Sat, 22 Nov 2014 23:14:55 +1100, Bill Sloman Gave us:

You have certainly achieved idiot level. You are a professor. The only thing you profess is YOUR idiocy.

Nobody needs your pathetic little classroom attempts, idiot.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Sat, 22 Nov 2014 23:14:55 +1100, Bill Sloman Gave us:

No, idiot... I do not.

No, he doesn't. ONLY YOU are touting this total horseshit. Are you really so stupid as to think that anyone here adheres to YOUR pathetic, retarded "Billy SlOMan assessments?"

You are letting your senility rear its ugly head again, dumbshit.

What do you call this horseshit you spew, boy?

You mean the guy who does modern day chip fab designs? Yeah, Sloman... folks are really going to believe your horseshit now. You are the RETARDED asshole who puts IC chips down. That pretty much makes you the one out of touch with reality.

I really hope this is your exodus declaration and we will never see your stupid crap ever again.

Funny that all these things you claim others are, actually are attributes of YOUR behavior.

No. I think that asswipes like you should be rounded up, Spanish Inquisition style. You will make a poor replacement or offset for coal, but we can get a few BTUs out of your pathetic hulk. You running your mouth here is certainly a step in the wrong direction.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

An easy claim to make, but harder to substantiate.

Only those with enough wit to understand them. And they wouldn't adhere to them - I'm not putting forward any kind of program - though they might agree with them,

Or perhaps your own senility is corrupting any judgement you might once have had.

Not egomania. That's a state of mind, rather than a literary form.

That's a rather narrow branch of reality. I've not been impressed by those of Jim's chips that I've ran into, but he can design chips that do work, though others seem to be able to design stuff that's easier to use. It's when he gets away from chip design and simulation that his rather narrow focus becomes obvious.

You've been posting stupid and obnoxious crap for just as long, if not over the same pseudonym.

Curious logic - or spectacularly indiscriminate incomprehension ...

You've been running your mouth off here for just as long, but you've had to change your pseudonym from time to time, presumably because successive information providers have gotten sick of fielding the complaints about the quality of your postings.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

How would you know? You can't tell shit from shinola.

You do need them - badly - but you lack the wit to realise it.

My stuff is aimed well over your head, so you'd need something more like a real primer, aimed at the five-year-old level.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

But those photons represent a great deal more energy than we are using at the moment. The greedy half-wits who want to keep on making money out of digging up the fossil carbon that they own and selling it as fuel have every reason to spread lies about this, but you have to be as gullible as John Larkin to fail to recognise the self-interested drivel for what it is.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Gullibility and a frank refusal to think runs both ways, however.

If we continue on the same curve we're on then eventually we would need the entire output of the sun to keep going. And the next year, we'd need more yet.

It's a wonderful party, but at some point someone needs to stop opening kegs, kick out the drunks, and start cleaning the place up.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

On Sun, 23 Nov 2014 11:19:24 +1100, Bill Sloman Gave us:

I deleted a news client I had, which allowed me to use whatever nym I wished and the mood of my post suited. It had nothing to do with any provider, you retarded, know nothing putz, and the one I currently have, I have had as long as I have hated idiots making up acronyms in other groups, and made it to thumb my nose at them, then decided I liked it. So go f*ck yourself.

STFU, Billy boy. You don't know a goddamned thing, and I could easily hunt up ANY of my old nym info and create and post under ANY one of them at EXACTLY the same IP, because there was NEVER ANY obfuscation of my identity in ANY nym I ever used.

Nice try though, you retarded f*ck! Ooops!

So much for you pathetic guess at why I quit using them.

You are the criminal here. You are a crime against civil mankind and humanity in general.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

By then we could probably move on and start trashing some other planetary s ystem. We might even develop enough sense to work out a way of living that didn't need exponentially increasing amounts of energy for every succeeding generation.

In the meantime we do need to think about reorganising the way we do things to avoid trashing the only planet we can get at at the moment.

And the mob in the corner, who are explaining that they are going to make a lot of money out of opening the next keg, and that the consequences aren't half as bad as anybody in their right mind could predict, are going to hav e to be kicked out first, before they recruit any more of the drunks.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to