Intel-Altera, again

You'd be wrong.

Nope. They have other products to make. Intel is a one-trick-pony, so can tune their processes to a very small number of parts. It's a

*huge* advantage.
Reply to
krw

Am 08.06.2015 um 23:07 schrieb rickman:

So does _my_ customer.

And I spent this weekend to set up a virtual machine running Debian and an Eclipse cross compilation setup for the BeagleBoneBlack ARM. I can't say that it was fun, and I can't say that it works now. :-(

If the BBB was Atom-based, I simply would have compiled my project on the core i7 laptop and debugged it remotely on the Atom. No ado at all.

regards, Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

Den tirsdag den 9. juni 2015 kl. 03.23.17 UTC+2 skrev Gerhard Hoffmann:

why not build on the BBB ?

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

but it would make sense with their buying of altera and partnership with microsoft to leverage wintel dominance in the old market by making it difficult for other player to connect in the new market of IoT. Why else is microsoft offering Windows 10 for free for IoT, Embrace, extend, extinguish.

They only way I can see that

Reply to
David Eather

Am 09.06.2015 um 03:36 schrieb Lasse Langwadt Christensen:

That's what I did in the past, and in the near future, probably. But the Dell Precision laptop is much faster with his SSDs, there is everything on the same machine including circuits (Altium) etc under SubVersion control and Eclipse is somewhat sexier than ssh, vi, make, barefoot gcc and gdb...

regards, Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

Den tirsdag den 9. juni 2015 kl. 04.29.17 UTC+2 skrev Gerhard Hoffmann:

yeh I know it does get a bit oldschool when you are used to a full IDE

I use winscp, it handles files via ssh so you can easily use what ever editor you like on windows

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I didn't realize winscp could do that, great! Thanks. Is there a way to open the file from the editor rather than winscp?

--

Rick
Reply to

You are confusing MS with Intel. MS is offering Win10 on ARMs as well as x86s. So why would Intel be 100% loyal to MS and not want to support Linux. Intel has a lot more to lose than MS does.

--

Rick
Reply to

I don't think so, it just makes a temporary file and keeps track of changes.

if you can run ftp you could try ultraedit I believe it can directly access files via ftp

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Yeah, I've been trying to wean myself off Codewrite for a couple of years now, but I've used it for so long even it's annoyances are ingrained into my habits. I actually fired up emacs a couple of times and was totally lost. Someone had mentioned an editor that included SSH a few weeks ago. I don't recall which one though and I'm not even sure which newsgroup it was in.

--

Rick
Reply to

On a sunny day (Tue, 09 Jun 2015 04:29:11 +0200) it happened Gerhard Hoffmann wrote in :

AFAICR (AsFarAsICanRemember) eclipse was pure hell. After trying it once I know crap as it is.

Why use vi? I have been using 'joe' as programming editor (full screen editor in Linux) ever since I dumped 'boxer' and MS windows. I bought a license for Boxer back then, but joe is the ultimate editor, No need for a mouse, use an xterm or rxvt, ssh remote. There are a few tricks I use when using joe that give me a large speed advantage on more complicated many thousand lines of code sources[1], and am writing this with joe too of course, just specified it as editor in my newsreader. Version control must be a joke right? I have written and published hundreds of programs making thousands of versions without 'version control' simply by increasing release number and specifying it in the header. After making a program.0.0.0.x.y.z.tgz (you get the idea) save it, and increment the VERSION in the header and the CHANGES file. You cannot go wrong...

[1] cross program, move part of sources from one program to the other in a flash.

I do not get it, I develop on the Raspi via ssh (its USB keyboard is way to slow for me), what's so hard in typing Make? Or making a simple makefile? Or writing some script? The Raspi is slow compiling several thousand lines of code, sure, its a simple SDcard and not a core7 or something. But the solution is simple: Use more small source files, I did that last week, or was it in the weekend, put your new functions in there, then after typing 'make' you only have to wait seconds and only the new functions you are testing are compiled. Linking goes in a flash.

rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 29605 Nov 2 2014 protodec.c

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 78019 May 15 08:15 waypoints.c

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1992 May 15 08:15 visual.c

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3512 May 15 08:15 to_io.c

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 17551 May 15 08:15 thpc.c

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 702 May 15 08:15 test.c

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 430 May 15 08:15 test_a.c

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1388 May 15 08:15 test56.c

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4068 May 15 08:15 test55.c

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2600 May 15 08:15 test54.c

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 9263 May 15 08:15 spc01.c

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 25027 May 15 08:15 sight.c

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 25258 May 15 08:15 sight-0.1.c

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 8722 May 15 08:15 sensors.c

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 11750 May 15 08:15 mpu6050.c

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 6162 May 15 08:15 joystick.c

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 13793 May 15 08:15 io_routines.c

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3615 May 15 08:15 iiclib.c

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4183 May 15 08:15 hx711_bak.c

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 45665 May 15 08:15 gpspc_v1.c

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 8052 May 15 08:15 cube.c

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 28533 May 15 08:15 compass.c

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 19361 May 15 08:15 bmp085.c

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 87605 May 15 08:15 articles.c

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 6062 May 19 21:06 setup.c

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2760 May 20 10:19 x11.c

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2980 May 21 17:24 on_screen.c

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 29419 May 23 18:51 aisdec.c

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 29155 May 23 21:03 ais_test.c

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 401 May 25 15:09 distance.c

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 38379 May 25 21:48 ais_no_go.c

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 7098 May 28 13:58 test_d.c

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 10590 May 28 14:17 navigation.c

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2026 May 28 14:42 test_for_collisions_OLD_CODE.c

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3414 May 28 15:40 io.c

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 6556 May 29 12:36 hx711.c

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 31927 May 30 15:47 ais.c

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 349 May 30 21:27 nmea_checksum.c

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 21460 Jun 1 18:13 graphics.c

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 7386 Jun 2 14:13 bmp180.c

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 18943 Jun 2 21:06 test_bmp180.c

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 113153 Jun 7 12:03 rgpspc.c

Eclipses , darkness... no no.

IMNSHO too many people are writing tools to help write code but do not really write code so do not know how to write code or help write it, sort of a vicious circle (tm) or something with ever slower going iterations and growing stack space selling ever more powerful hardware to do ever more silly things ever slower until the world's resources run out and w

LOL

ispell

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Neither ARM nor Samsung will buy each other (I'm guessing Samsung has a good deal more money than ARM). It would be to the detriment of both companies.

ARM has significantly more than 20% power advantage over Intel, especially on small cpus (where Intel don't compete at all) and large devices - it's only in the middle range for ARM, low range for Intel, that Intel can provide anything close to the mips/watt efficiency of ARM. I look forward to power-efficient ARM's becoming common on servers

- the competition is good for everyone (except perhaps Intel shareholders).

Intel's fabs and processes are top of the range. Arguably they are better at this than at processor design, where they have been playing catch-up for some time. Their process and fabs have let them copy other people's ideas and make faster implementations.

However, Intel are not the only ones with good fabs. IBM's Power cpu line usually holds the records for the fastest chips, and as I understand it the current Power 8 is no exception.

Reply to
David Brown

I use gedit, but hear that kate can do it too, this sort of thing is fairly standard on the linux desktop

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

If you are on Linux, you can use sshfs to mount a remote filesystem via ssh (i.e., what looks like a local directory on your own computer is actually on the remote system, and files get passed back and forth with ssh/scp as needed). Then you can use whatever editor you like on your PC.

If you need to do a little bit of command-line editing over ssh, I recommend "nano" (or "pico", which is very similar) rather than emacs or vim. emacs and vim are great when you get used to them - they are very powerful, but it takes a good while to learn them. For more casual use, nano works pretty much as you would expect. Combine it with "screen" to get as many windows as you need.

Reply to
David Brown

and significantly less when including I/Os and memory.

Atom cores are getting closer to ARM, but doesn't really matter much for servers, which need cache (and cash) anyway.

IBM did not market chips to OEM makers (not initially anyway), which really limited their appeal. Otherwise, we would all be talking about IBM chips rather than Intel chips in data centers.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

Significantly.

Why don't you include the room lighting, too?

Nonsense.

Note that IBM no longer has fabs (or won't in a matter of months - not sure how the sale to Global is proceeding).

Not true. Ever heard of the PowerPC? No, you don't hear of IBM in PCs because they've abandoned that market. They've pretty much gotten out of the hardware business altogether. If you're talking about 40 years ago, it's still not true because IBM never has understood that market. It's never been in their corporate DNA. The market needed a

*market* innovator, which IBM has never been (and Intel no longer is).
Reply to
krw

lly limited their appeal. Otherwise, we would all be talking about IBM chi ps rather than Intel chips in data centers.

That's what i am saying. They did not actively market the chip set. IBM r ather sell you the whole box, rather than the chip set. Alt least Intel un derstand that they can't provide everything. Intel tried to take over the board design also, but the market decided that OEM does that better.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

Again, there was the PowerPC, which was sold to OEMs and did include chipsets (though not always sold by IBM, they were enabled by IBM).

Reply to
krw

pu

really limited their appeal. Otherwise, we would all be talking about IBM chips rather than Intel chips in data centers.

M rather sell you the whole box, rather than the chip set. Alt least Intel understand that they can't provide everything. Intel tried to take over t he board design also, but the market decided that OEM does that better.

The question is whether they were aggressively pushing it. With IBM's reso urce at that time, they could have made different history if they really wa nt to. But they were trying to protect their server market, selling the ch ip set was an after thought.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

Weren't the Apple computers PPC for a good while?

Seems like they were pushing it.

We had wonderful stuff once. VAX. VMS. Unix. 68K. Alpha. OS/2. PPC.

And we wound up with Windows and x86. The sociopaths defeated the engineers again.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com