How much current through switch?

Various pots have switches on the back; some a small spring lever exposed on the back of the body, some are enclosed.

How much can you put through those switches?

5A would be nice.
Reply to
bigq

Read the (tiny) embossed specs (if any). Divide by two or three for practical limit.

Take a critical look at a switch rated for five amps. Compare with the springy lever on your pot. What do you think?

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Alien8752

Those exposed spring levers are not for significant power and only for extra low voltage,

The sealed ones can handle more power, I owned a TV that used one for the on-off, this was a 2 pole swithch, pull operated.

the switch was about the size of a Klixon thermostat, so

5A is a possibility.

I remember owning another TV that ran off 12VDC@8A (as an option), but I think that one used a rocker switch for power.

--
umop apisdn

Jasen Betts

Enough to run a relay to do the real work. :)

Looking at what's in stock at Digi-Key US...

CTS 270 series pots can have a rotary or push-pull switch. The rotary switch is rated 5 A @ 20 V DC or 3 A @ 125 V AC. The push-pull ones are rated 3 A @ 20 V DC only.

CTS 026 series wirewound pots can have various rotary or push-pull switches, with ratings from 1 A @ 250 V AC to 6 A @ 125 V AC.

CTS 450 series pots can have various rotary or push-pull switches, with similar ratings to the CTS 026 series.

Bourns PTR90 series pots have a rotary switch, rated 3 A @ 16 V DC.

Bourns 85 and 86 series pots have a rotary switch, rated 2 A @ 125 V AC or 28 V DC.

Bourns 39 series pots can have a rotary switch, rated 1.5 A @ 12 V DC.

None of the above seem to have a UL/CSA/TUV/etc listing, in case that is important for you.

Standard disclaimers apply; I don't get money or other consideration from any companies mentioned.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

exposed on