Soldering stainless steel wire

I've managed to get a small DIY spot-welder going, but I'm finding that
the metals I can successfully spot-weld (nichrome wire, and stainless
steel wire, so far) cannot be soldered, which for one of the purposes I
had in mind is rather a nuisance.

One possibility I've thought of is to electroplate copper onto the wire
at the end where I want to solder it. I'll probably try this tomorrow,
my time in Australia. If it's a bad idea, I'd like to know before I buy
the CuSO4.

Also, any thoughts on what I might manage to both spot-weld and solder?

Sylvia.

Re: Soldering stainless steel wire
I have successfully 'tinned' stranded SS wire with silver braze, then
soldered to it.

I'd never tried before, but it was very much easier than I expected,
with flux on the wire, the braze wicks into the SS wire beautifully.

Or could you crimp?

Cheers
--
Syd

Re: Soldering stainless steel wire

that
wire
buy
solder?

IME braze and solder works better than crimping by a little bit.  SS is
rather difficult to crimp well.

?-)

Re: Soldering stainless steel wire

Plating copper onto iron from copper sulphate is a mugs game. The bond
is nothing like good enough. Plating iron onto copper is doable at home.

You might get it to solder or rather braze first at high temperature if
you use the right flux to get clean metal and a hot flame.

Be *extremely* careful with fluoride and HF based stainless steel fluxes
they are exceptionally unforgiving and the Health & Safety film for
working with HF is notorious for causing casualties in the audience.

Martin Brown

Re: Soldering stainless steel wire
why not do as I suggested once before get some stainless crimp ferules
(for fishing traces),if you are still working on temperature sensors
connection for kiln

Re: Soldering stainless steel wire
On Tue, 18 Feb 2014 10:43:43 +0000, Martin Brown

  It would by just as easy to use conductive epoxy bonds.

  Think about what you will be sinking all that heat into as well.

  Masterbond make a nice, new, recently advertised conductive epoxy.
Maybe they would send her a sample.

  If this "wire" is going to also have physical tension on it, some
fixturing beyond the electrical contact establishment may need to be
considered.

Re: Soldering stainless steel wire
On Tue, 18 Feb 2014 20:26:44 +1100, Sylvia Else

Spot weld a solderable wire to the stainless?

                                        ...Jim Thompson
Re: Soldering stainless steel wire
Yes, but so far I've not found anything that is both solderable and
spot-weldable.

Sylvia

Re: Soldering stainless steel wire

Nickel should work. You could also plate it.

Re: Soldering stainless steel wire
snipped-for-privacy@not.at.this.address says...

Silver solder (Braze) with a micro torch..

Jamie

Re: Soldering stainless steel wire

Thanks for the replies people.

This was about fixing a car key-fob which was always temperamental as
original designed, because the battery contacts always played up.

Having had trouble soldering the wires I could spot-weld, I went back to
the idea of soldering copper wires to the battery, which I'd previously
given up on, and following the advice given by someone on one of these
groups (to that person, apologies for not naming you, but a search
hasn't revealed the post in question). I seem to be getting a good
solder joint, so that's the approach I'll use.

Sylvia.

Re: Soldering stainless steel wire
On Wed, 19 Feb 2014 12:44:49 +1100, Sylvia Else

Aha!  A new fob will only set you back ~$65... my wife lost her's on a
Girl Scout camping trip... you have to stand on your head and wiggle
your ears to reprogram the car :-(

                                        ...Jim Thompson
Re: Soldering stainless steel wire

Maybe an after-market fob would have better battery contacts, but how to
know? All three of the manufacturer supplied keys that I possess have
displayed the same problem.

Sylvia.

Re: Soldering stainless steel wire
You also can get tabbed button batteries , which I did for a welding
helmet which was not made for battery replacement

Re: Soldering stainless steel wire

Jaycar used to sell them, but stopped doing so. I haven't looked for
them since. Using them in this application wasn't so easy, since I had
to trim the tab, and at least one came off in the process.

Sylvia.

Re: Soldering stainless steel wire
On Wed, 19 Feb 2014 12:44:49 +1100, Sylvia Else

  If you do attempt to plate it first, be sure to abrade it roughly
first.  Like with a file even...  BIG scratches.

  Plating (electroplating) tends to follow underlying contours until it
starts getting 'thick'.  You can use the scratches as a gauge for the
plating thickness.

  CRC handbook has a guide on certain metallic platings and the
thickness at which they no longer reflect the underlying 'texture'
features.

  Stainless wire is drawn with a very clean surface quality, for typical
medical application, so abrading it should make it plate better, and
take whatever you are trying to make solderable with it affix better.

Re: Soldering stainless steel wire

Soldering leads to a battery is really a bad idea. The battery life will be
short at best.

tm

Re: Soldering stainless steel wire
Tom Miller wrote:

[snip]

Yes. Heat buildup is the culprit here. Spot welding works well because of
the small spot generating the heat necessary to create the weld. The speed
of the process helps as well.

--
Paul Hovnanian     mailto: snipped-for-privacy@Hovnanian.com
Re: Soldering stainless steel wire

Soldering batteries without tabs is a bad idea.  The bump indicating the
'+' side is usually a spring loaded pressure relief valve.  You'll melt
it shut with the soldering iron if it's made of plastic.

Try replacing fob's power filter capacitor with an ultra-low ESR cap,
like a 100 microfarad MLCC.  The contacts will spot weld themselves to
the battery as needed.

Re: Soldering stainless steel wire

I'm talking about silver oxide button cells.

Sylvia.

Site Timeline