Schematic or service manual for SOLA 325 UPS

My longserving SOLA 325 UPS suddenly quit yesterday. Other than a relay
that switches when power is supplied, it appears completely dead.

Anyone have a sevice manual, or schematic, for this model?

Or ideas? Normally, my first thought would be that its PSU had failed,
but it has batteries as backup!

Thanks

Sylvia.

Re: Schematic or service manual for SOLA 325 UPS

http://www.eserviceinfo.com/download.php?fileid3D%19986

Re: Schematic or service manual for SOLA 325 UPS

Thanks, but that appears to be from the 305 model, which seems to be
different.

In the mean, time I've discovered that the reason it's completely dead
even on battery is that the 40A fuse to the battery has blown.
Disconnecting the large transformer and shorting out the fuse allows the
display to light, go through its initialisation cycle, and then indicate
a fault.

The failure of the fuse wouldn't explain why the device won't run while
on mains power, so the fuse is presumably a symptom of something else.

Sylvia.

Re: Schematic or service manual for SOLA 325 UPS

It could just be fatigue !

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Re: Schematic or service manual for SOLA 325 UPS

Uh, sorry ... not close enough ?

I strongly suggest that you replace the fuse, because the
unknown fault might make things worse, and you may
blow up the whole unit ( which could solve the problem )

Sure it is. Sorry I didn't  find the manual.

What is the error/fault message on the display ?

Re: Schematic or service manual for SOLA 325 UPS

Seems to be different, though it's useful in showing the likely general
configuration.

"UPS fault" indicated by a continuous beep from the unit.

Given the number of transformer leads that I have unplugged, this is
hardly surprising.

Sylvia.

Re: Schematic or service manual for SOLA 325 UPS

Of course ... sounds a bit like Monty Python to me.

Since you don't know the cause of the original failure,
are you sure I won't happend again ?

Did a short-circuit occur on the output(s) of this UPS ?

Re: Schematic or service manual for SOLA 325 UPS

I've commented elsewhere in this thread that I've identified a couple of
power switching FETs which are defective. One of them is shortcircuited,
across all three terminals, which would certainly have blown the fuse.

Of course, that just pushes the question down a level - am I sure that
whatever blew the FETs won't happen again. And of course, the answer has
to be no.

These transistors only switch when the UPS is in backup mode. At other
times, they're not switching, but their drains are connected to the
secondary of a transformer that has mains applied to the primary. The
failure could be attributed to a power spike, though I have to note that
the UPS is plugged into a surge arrestor, and nothing else in the house
seems to have suffered.

No.

Re: Schematic or service manual for SOLA 325 UPS
On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 04:05:47 -0700 (PDT), Jean-Christophe

The OP could interrogate the UPS via its RS232 port using
HyperTerminal:
http://www.networkupstools.org/protocols/sola.html

Unfortunately the status information probably won't tell her anything
useful.

BTW, I would suggest that sci.electronics.repair is probably a better
newsgroup for this type of question than sci.electronics.design.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Schematic or service manual for SOLA 325 UPS

Have you asked SOLA?

Good Luck!
Rich

Re: Schematic or service manual for SOLA 325 UPS

I've asked the company that took them over. I don't hold out much hope
though. They don't really have an interest in helping people repair old
gear.

Sylvia.

Re: Schematic or service manual for SOLA 325 UPS

solotech had written this in response to
http://www.electrondepot.com/australian/Schematic-or-service-manual-for-SOLA-325-UPS-6713-.htm
 :
Try www.acdcmanuals.com.

Cheers.

-------------------------------------
Sylvia Else wrote:
-------------------------------------

My longserving SOLA 325 UPS suddenly quit yesterday. Other than a relay
that switches when power is supplied, it appears completely dead.

Anyone have a sevice manual, or schematic, for this model?

Or ideas? Normally, my first thought would be that its PSU had failed,
but it has batteries as backup!

Thanks

Sylvia.

Delivered via
http://www.electrondepot.com/
Electronics Enthusiasts' Community of the Net
Web
and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup -
sci.electronics.design,aus.electronics -  messages and counting!