Re: Trying to match small AC transformer - 240V primary 12.8V secondary

As a follow up, would this do if I can't get the same component?

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MM2006

The output on the original is 12.8V but this is 12.6 - I don't know what
the tolerances are but I'm guessing it would be regulated in some way.

Re: Trying to match small AC transformer - 240V primary 12.8V secondary

Near enough. What about Dick Smiths?

Re: Trying to match small AC transformer - 240V primary 12.8V secondary

"Matthew Kirkcaldie"

**  Looks ideal.

As would the similar DSE M2851

BTW  both unit are made to " class 2 " or double insulation requirements.

Important if that Yamaha receiver is "  class 2 "   -  as I bet it is.

....   Phil

Re: Trying to match small AC transformer - 240V primary 12.8V secondary

Thanks Phil - there's no ground on the plug so I would guess double
insulated is the way to go.

The DSE part is cheaper and available locally - thanks!

Re: Trying to match small AC transformer - 240V primary 12.8V secondary

That tranny will work just fine. The only thing that I would say is that
power transformers in domestic equipment are usually what's known as a
"designated safety component". This means that they formed part of the
original design approval which declared the unit physically safe - it won't
set fire to your house in the event of it failing - and electrically safe -
it won't make the equipment live in the event of a breakdown of the
insulation on the winding wire or terminations. You can identify components
which form part of a safety spec, and are thus "designated", because they
have an exclamation mark inside a triangle, marked by them on the schematic.

If you do substitute a non-Yamaha transformer for the original, this would
almost certainly compromise the original safety approvals for the equipment,
and if there were any unforseen unfortunate consequences down the line,
Yamaha would have no liability at all.

Almost certainly, replacing this tranny with a substitute, will cause no
problems at all, but I think that you should be aware of exactly what you
are doing for your own peace of mind. For what its worth, as a professional
repairer with a legal duty of care to the public, I would never substitute a
transformer that is going to run 24 hours a day, as a standby tranny is, nor
would I recommend others to do so. At the very least, I would try to check,
through the suppliers or even directly with the manufacturers, that any
tranny you intend to use is rated for continuous operation. I would also
contact a Yamaha spares agent to check the price and availability of a
genuine replacement, after you have proven that all is well by checking with
your substitute in place. Not trying to put you off or anything, just advice

Arfa

Re: Trying to match small AC transformer - 240V primary 12.8V secondary

Thanks Arfa, wise words there and I will certainly think it over.

Re: Arfa Dialy = Scum of the Planet

Problem is, Arfa is right 99.9% of the time.

COOSN-266-06-25794

Re: Arfa Dialy = Scum of the Planet

"Meat Plow"

**  LOL  -  says who  ???

Someone who is also wrong 99.9% of the time.

.......  Phil

Re: Arfa Dialy = Scum of the Planet

Also meaning you included?

COOSN-266-06-25794

Re: Arfa Dialy = Scum of the Planet

Just killfile him Arfa. His signal to noise is about the highest of any
newsgroup contributor so really not worth wading through for the 1% of
useful stuff he posts.

--
*Heart attacks... God's revenge for eating his animal friends

    Dave Plowman         snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk           London SW
Dave Plowman = Worse Scum

"Dave Plowman (News)"

** Excellent idea.

Then I can get stuck into this despicable, gutless pile of pommy excrement
with no interference.

......    Phil

Re: Arfa Dialy = Scum of the Planet

I would highly recommend killfiling him also, my enjoyment of
the group went up considerably after doing so,
and as a bonus, I do get to see pieces of his inane posts but
only when much more sane people are 'replying' to him! :-)

--
Cheers,

Marc

Re: Arfa Dialy = Scum of the Planet

Give it up and walk away with a bit of dignity, you poor sad medicated fool.
You had a pop at me once before on a different group, and eventually came
off worst. Perhaps I am the scum of the planet, and if that's what you
believe, then by all means, carry on calling me it - I really don't care,
but with each increasingly pathetic post, which follows in your normal
pattern of first unleashing an unwarranted tirade of filth, you make
yourself look less and less credible.

Having read your posts in your more lucid moments, I don't doubt that you
have technical expertise, but any respect that you might build up for
yourself in the on-line electronics service community in between 'episodes',
is immediately blown again when those deformed neurons in your addled brain,
start firing randomly again.

I don't care if you disagree with something I post, and it's fine to say
so - it's what debate amongst SANE people is about, but when you start in
this way, you are just out of line. *I* certainly don't want to see it on
here, and I'm sure that most other regulars don't. Using the ultra foul
language that you do, in the extremely angry way that you do, might be the
norm in the community that you live in, but don't inflict it on internet
newsgroups, where there are likely to be much more sensitive souls than me,
and worse, children reading it.

Now go and take your meds, and if you don't have meds to control this
behaviour, I would STRONGLY recommend that you go and get some professional
help before you do something a lot more serious than abusing the pivileges
that you ISP provides you with ...

Arfa

Site Timeline