Question about failing starter capacitors on electric motors - Page 3

Re: Question about failing starter capacitors on electric motors

    I did the self-test function to try and reduce the number of e-mails
I was getting from people with construction problems (mostly solder
whiskers).
    It was amazingly successful.... I hardly get any e-mails like that
now. :)

Bob

Re: Question about failing starter capacitors on electric motors

That's true, both Mk1 and Mk2 are the same price, I wanted to get one yesterday
and first DSE shop I went had only Mk1, had to drive to a second one but it was
worth it as they had Mk2 (and few more cheap kits in stock).
Tom

Re: Question about failing starter capacitors on electric motors

    Well done! I hope the meter pays for itself before too long. :-)

Bob

Re: Question about failing starter capacitors on electric motors

At that price it is well worth buying even if I don't use it too often and this
kit stands out of the rest - good quality PCB with overlay and nice front panel.
Good work Bob!!!!

Tom

Re: Question about failing starter capacitors on electric motors

    Thanks Tom, but John and Bill in the DSE Kits Dept get all the
credit for making it into a nice kit. :-)
    See http://members.ozemail.com.au/~bobpar/dsestaff.htm

Cheers
Bob

Re: Question about failing starter capacitors on electric motors

In another life I used to work in a motor rewind and repair shop, personally
I would regard the reading you got as reasonable (meter accuracy etc.) but
the burning smell is a worry since it comes from overheated windings. Once
that happens a few times there is every chance your motor is fritzed !
The situation really needs checking by experienced persons which is not easy
for you out there, also it may well be the cost of a new motor and
controller would be similar to that of a callout.
Perhaps you could send the parts into town for testing and take it from
there.
Incidentally technically that is a "Run" capacitor and of different
construction to a "start" cap. Run caps usually last longer than start caps.
Hope you find a solution Rod .
--
Cheers .......... Rheilly P

Re: Question about failing starter capacitors on electric motors

 On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 15:10:44 +0900,
 and after reading the post titled " Re: Question about failing starter
capacitors on electric motors",

cluck & peck the following:

Thanks to all who offered suggestions.  I spoke to the electrician (original
installer of the aircon), and his assessment is it sounds like the motor is
dying. The fan motor cops a hiding in it's location (pretty corrosive bore water
used in the aircon), and I replaced the same motor about 4 years ago.

I ran into town this arvo and got a new motor.  The whole fan/motor assembly
comes out of the aircon in about 5 minutes, and the connections are clearly
marked on the control board(also took plenty pics before removing connections as
well), and on the side of the motor.

MY next 'challenge' was removing the plastic fan off the old motor shaft.  I
hadnt remembered the compressible collet that sits between the fan & shaft, and
of course it fell apart as we remove the cover plate.  No chance of making one
up, so I expect we will be in touch with electrician again tomorrow....sigh.

Thanks again for all the ideas.  I might pick up another capacitor as well when
picking up the collet.  May as well change it out, and then I know they are both
right to go.

Cheers,

Rod.....Out Back

Site Timeline