Looking for quality 128Gb USB stick

I'm looking for a good quality 128Gb USB stick.

Some of the smaller (ie 8gb, 32gb) sticks that I've purchased over the
last year or so have become faulty, or the connector (tin, held on with
solder) has become intermittent, so I'm not terribly impressed with the
general quality that's around.

So far, the sticks that use the circuit board for the USB connection
instead of a separate connector seem to be the hardiest, but I haven't
been able to find a 128Gb stick with this feature.

The stick doesn't need to be bullet-proof, or hermetically sealed, but
it will spend some time in my pocket and on my keyring.

Does anyone have any ideas?  I'm in Melbourne if it matters.

Thanks, Peter

Re: Looking for quality 128Gb USB stick

The SanDisk Cruzer should fit the bill - $129 from OfficeWorks,
http://tinyurl.com/SDCZ60128G

I haven't used this particular incarnation of the Cruzer, but I still have
an 8Gb one I bought in early '08 and it's still going strong.

--
Bob Milutinovic
Cognicom

Re: Looking for quality 128Gb USB stick

PC Case gear has the 128 Gb Patriot Xporter Xpress @ $109

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath55%&products_id22%632

Their warehouse is located in  Mulgrave VIC , you can place your order
on-line and then go pick it up at the warehouse.

--

Sandgroper
Re: Looking for quality 128Gb USB stick

Thanks.  I can't tell from the images though - does it have the standard
tin and pins USB connector?  I've found the ones that use the PCB as the
USB connector seem to be more robust.

Thanks, Peter

Re: Looking for quality 128Gb USB stick

Here is some  images of the 128 Gb Patriot Xporter Xpress , it has an
end cap that protects the usb connector.

<http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo32%42798

--

Sandgroper
Re: Looking for quality 128Gb USB stick

brands like Sandisk are relatively more reliable.
What kills them, is the time it's left plugged into the USB socket(do the
work and unplug). The heat apparently is on of the causes of USB stick early
death.
Always dismount before unplugging.
Never rely on windows guarantee that it can be pulled out without 'safe
disconnect'.
Other thing is that voltage spikes from motherboard also a killer. USB
sticks tend to die when the PC suddenly turn off or turn on while the stick
is already plugged in.
Cheaper ones are more prone to that kind of death.
Verbatim is another good brand.
Stay away from no name brands and funny name brands you've never heard of.
Stick with reputable brands, and it's worth few extra dollars.

Re: Looking for quality 128Gb USB stick

My Verbatim 8GB is the slowest drive I have, avoid at all costs.

Re: Looking for quality 128Gb USB stick

Check your motherboard USB port of the hub. That may be the reason.

Re: Looking for quality 128Gb USB stick

It is slower than noname brands and Woolies homebrand on the same port. It
is shit.

Re: Looking for quality 128Gb USB stick

May have something to do with USB version?!
Mine are fine and have been going for years without dramas.
Noname crap has been dying on me for years.
Either way, they all are prone to sudden death.

Re: Looking for quality 128Gb USB stick

Nope, its due to the speed of the ram inside it.

Re: Looking for quality 128Gb USB stick

Did you mean the tiny amount of RAM inside the microcontroller?!

Re: Looking for quality 128Gb USB stick

Nope, the ram on the USB stick.

Re: Looking for quality 128Gb USB stick

I prefer to call them flash memory. It's somewhere between standard ROM and
RAM.  It's fairly different type of chip from the ones used in computer RAM.
I think it's closer to ROM 'cos it's nonvolatile memory.
It's much slower than computer RAM.

Have you ever opened up a verbatim usb stick?
What brand chips do they use that makes them slower?!

Re: Looking for quality 128Gb USB stick

EPROM

Re: Looking for quality 128Gb USB stick

EEPROM

Re: Looking for quality 128Gb USB stick

They're both. And whatever you call it, it?s the speed of that that?s the
problem.

Nope, haven't had one fail.

Should be on the net somewhere.

Re: Looking for quality 128Gb USB stick

they're not like ram, you cant rewrite random addresses.
the behviour is closest to EEPROM

--
?? 100% natural

Re: Looking for quality 128Gb USB stick

Yes. we know. It's been already agreed above.

Re: Looking for quality 128Gb USB stick

Not when the other drives go at a decent speed.