IR Remote codes that alternate?

I'm looking at the data output from a Thomson RCT110S remote and the
code is not consistent for the same button press. Instead it seems to
alternate between codes for each press of that button. i.e, press "1"
and I get one code, press "1" again and I get a different code, press
"1" a third time and it goes back to the first code I got. Occasionally
it will give me something else entirely and then go back to
alternating, crazy.
It does the same thing with both an IR receiver chip and a discrete
photo transistor, so it's not the receiver chip going wonky.

Another Thomson remote I have (RCT4130S) also does this.

But all my other remotes (Sony HT, no name DVD, aircon etc) all give a
single consistent code for the same button, as I'd expect.

Anyone know what on earth the Thomson remote is doing?

Thanks
Dave :)

Re: IR Remote codes that alternate?

 > Anyone know what on earth the Thomson remote is doing?

It's how the receiver differentiates between you holding the button
down, and pressing it multiple times. I thought all remotes did that.

Clifford Heath.

Re: IR Remote codes that alternate?

Apparently not, all my other remotes send exactly the same code each
time the same button is pressed. The Thomson seems to be the odd one
out.

Dave :)

Re: IR Remote codes that alternate?

that.

I've seen some send the same code every time, some toggle back and forth
and some have a "repeat" bit position that indicates that the button is
being held down.  Some controllers only transmit the code once with a
single button press, some send the same code three times.  There are
more schemes than there are manufacturers.

Re: IR Remote codes that alternate?

Some codes does have a toggle bit, this bit toggles each time your start
on a new keypress.

http://www.miscel.dk/MiscEl/miscelSerialCommunication.html
Can show your curves for many different remote controls.

Re: IR Remote codes that alternate?

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...
Hi Dave,

sounds pretty normal for an RC5 based remote.

Real PITA if you try to use a 3rd party learning remote. You can turn
the TV off, but not back on, unless you press a different code first.

Cheers, Ray

Re: IR Remote codes that alternate?

Thanks guys. Looks like I'll just have to "deal with it"!

Dave :)

Site Timeline