GPS Road mapping car? - Page 2

Re: GPS Road mapping car?

Nah! I'll bet that picture was taken in CA or FL.
I'll put my money on CA.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: GPS Road mapping car?

Correctamundo.
You win a free Usenet reply!

Dave.

Re: GPS Road mapping car?

   Looks like one of the Universal Studios theme parks.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Re: GPS Road mapping car?
On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 19:55:05 -0700 (PDT), "David L. Jones"

Maybe it was a modern version of this:
http://www.ewoud3d.nl/3dArt/images/ecto-1/ecto-1_1.jpg

- Franc Zabkar

Re: GPS Road mapping car?
this:
http://www.ewoud3d.nl/3dArt/images/ecto-1/ecto-1_1.jpg

Very cool!
The original is still in Dan Ackroyd's garage last I heard.
I still lust after a Delorean though.

Dave.

Re: GPS Road mapping car?

You can buy a brand new one built in the USA from NOS parts according to a
recent car mag.
(don't ask me which one)
Many of the original faults are even fixed. And a supercharged version is an
option.

Of course you can probably get a decent car for the same price though :-)

MrT.

Re: GPS Road mapping car?

Somehow, I don't think it would be the same...

Would be interested to see it though.

Yeah, but nowhere near as cool!

One is for sale here:
http://www.zeta.org.au/~lanceh/delorean/htm/deloreans_for_sale/waddingham_graham/waddingham_graham.html
Only $65K
Now if only I had more dollars than cents...

Dave.

Re: GPS Road mapping car?

Agreed, since it uses the same parts and is put together with more care, and
a few decades of experience, it should be better.

MrT.

Re: GPS Road mapping car?

In a "Civic" ?

Re: GPS Road mapping car?
On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 17:25:01 -0700 (PDT), "David L. Jones"

Sounds like a google street view car to me.

Re: GPS Road mapping car?

Actually, on second thought you might be right.
The 1m high pole on top with a small enclosure might just be it. I
just wish I'd got a better look at what was on the top of the pole
rather than staring at the GPS antenna on the roof.

This is the mob that makes the street view cam:
http://www.immersivemedia.com

Here is the US car:
http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/31/check-out-the-immersive-media-street-scanning-car /
and
http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/industry/4232286.html

The pole on top of the car I saw was taller than that one in the
photo, and it wasn't a tripod like bottom.

My street was conveniently missed out on in the major street view
mapping just released, as were many other in my surrounding streets,
so they could be "filling in the holes".

Dave.

Site Timeline