GPS Road mapping car?

This morning I saw a car come down our street, turn around and head
back out.
Nothing usual there, except that this car (a small Civic type thing I
guess) had an unusual custom roof-rack with what was clearly a large
commercial GPS antenna on it's roof in the center towards the rear,
along with a 1m high center pole with what looked like a flashing
strobe light case on top (it wasn't flashing). It could very well have
been a secondary GPS antenna though, I didn't get that good a look.

Now my street is a very private cul-de-sac with a hidden entrance, and
no one ever comes down there by accident, so this car was there on a
mission - a GPS road mapping service perhaps?
My street has already been mapped though, and has been for a long
time.

Anyone seen something similar?
Any other ideas as to it's purpose?

It certainly wasn't the Google van.

Dave.

Re: GPS Road mapping car?

years ago (& probably now) Telecom now Telstra had vehicles survey mobile
network signal strength / quality in new areas and in areas where problems
were reported or being fixed. Maybe it was something like that. I guess
other network providers do similar these days.

Re: GPS Road mapping car?

1) Basically, to get a map of te road networkin this country costs a
motza, not to mention an accurrate one, so if you run a fleet of vehicles,
fitting them with something to gps track where they have been allows you
to graduallybuiild up your own map for your purposes and for resale.

It would just occassionally require a vehicle to drive down
uncommonly travelled streets to add them to the map.

2) As already sugested, telephone, wireless or satellite coverage testing.

...piles of other TFB and similar ideas....

Re: GPS Road mapping car?

3) Mobile, differential GPS base station. The GPS antenna records the
signal, averages it and rebroadcasts a differential signal to someome
wanting a more accurate position at their gps device.

Re: GPS Road mapping car?

suppose your city has a fleet of 30 rubbish trucks, fit such a device to one
and with careful rostering you'll have a map of the city in 30 weeks.

Bye.
   Jasen

Re: GPS Road mapping car?

add a load cell & data logger you could map who recycles the most etc!

Re: GPS Road mapping car?

   They only pick up your trash every 30 weeks?  How about areas with no
trash to pick up, like large industrial areas?

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Re: GPS Road mapping car?

err, there are none. Most have offices and office, lunch room, etc trash,
not to mention industrial "waste" that may or may otbe recyclable.

Re: GPS Road mapping car?

I usually charge for solving business problems.

Re: GPS Road mapping car?

   In other words, you have no idea.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Re: GPS Road mapping car?

here (and everwhere else I've lived) it's weekly.
If there's 30 trucks there's no more than 30 routes done each day.
if there's only one truck with mapping equipment then then it'll take
30 mondays to cover all the monday routes.

Hmm, maybe do the street sweeper instead :)

Bye.
   Jasen

Re: GPS Road mapping car?

   You said to equip the TRUCKS, not one truck.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Re: GPS Road mapping car?
vehicles,
one

No I didn't, read it again.

Bye.
   Jasen

Re: GPS Road mapping car?

Don't bother replying to it. It is obviously a septic troll who thinks
this is that AUStin(texas).electronics newsgroup.

Re: GPS Road mapping car?

   Amazing, Terry.  How many hours a day do you practice to make
yourself look stupid online?  You should give it up and spend your time
on something to improve your life.  Trolls are boring, in general but
bad trolling like yours, just stinks.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Re: GPS Road mapping car?

Now the conspiracy theories start.  Was it or wasn't it, did it, or didn't
it. Blah,blah,blah

Re: GPS Road mapping car?

You're probably under surveillance by the FBI.
Were they wearing dark suits?

Re: GPS Road mapping car?

I don't recall, all I remember was this red flash... :->

Dave.

Re: GPS Road mapping car?

sun glasses?
may have been musicians!

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: GPS Road mapping car?

It's a tad more than 110 miles from Chicago!
And I certainly would have known that car if I saw it:
http://www.alternatezone.com/images/BluesMobile.jpg

Dave.

Site Timeline