Forward Voltage on Piezo Buzzer

Hi,

I have just purchased some goods from Jaycar. One of them was a Dual Tone Piezo buzzer (AB3456). It came with no spec so i have no idea who the manufacturer is and what the forward voltage is. I am a newcomer to electronics so am trying to work out the series resistor i need if using a

9v pp3 battery. Does anyone know how i can find this info out?

Regards,

Dave

Reply to
DMC

"DMC"

** Jaycar have a web site.

Can I wipe your nose for you too ?

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

As you're a newcomer you wouldn't have access to a variable power supply. Suggest a few standard torch batteries concerted together and upping the voltage till it starts to work. Also look up the specifications page in the Jaycar catalogue would help you track it down. Also a Google enquiry with this as the query AB3456 piezo buzzer jaycar

got this answer . Jaycar Electronics Dealer. ... AB3456, BUZZER PIEZO MED 5-15V DC, $7.65. AB3458, BUZZER PIEZO PCB 3-30V DC, $3.50

Use the computer Dave, dont play with it... (Grin!!!) Further specs can be found on the JAYCAR catalogue site

Reply to
Jonno

Yeah, but not with the hand you use to wipe your bum. Oops, you haven't got three hands.

Reply to
Otter

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

"David L. Jones" "DMC

** Look who just wiped the little chappie's nose .....

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Well the website and the spec sheet say the "Operating Voltage" is 1-13 volts. I thought this meant it could be run on a power source of between 1 and 13 volts. Is this not distinct from a "voltage drop", as in what happens when you used LED's, diodes, etc? Trying to work out the terminology. There is no mention of a voltage drop in the spec. Maybe it is insignificant and I don't need to worry? It also states a specified current of about 35 mA for continuous tone, but even at 13 volts with specified resistor (370 Ohms) it doesn't hit this current, which led me to think I may have to adjust for a voltage drop?

Another nose wipe please enlightened one...

Reply to
DMC

"DMC"

** Do not top post.

Very rude.

** If you knew that already , then why the heading ??

** Gobbledegook.

A "voltage drop" is the term given to the voltage across a device (or devices ) in a series string with reference to the supply voltage.

** More gobbledegook.

There is no specified resistor - you made that value up.

Resistors are needed with LEDS to control and limit the current to a desired value.

But not with most other devices.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

wanker...

Reply to
DMC

Correct, it works on any voltage in this range.

It does not need (and should not have) a series resistor, simply connect it across the voltage source. This mode of operation is implied because it specifies an operating voltage, not an operating current. It is a "voltage operated" device, and will in effect choose and limit it's own current.

An LED on the other hand is a "current operated" device and has a voltage drop for a given current, so to operate it from a voltage source you need the correct value series resistor to give you the required current. If you operated an LED from a current source you would not need the series resistor.

Hope that helps.

Dave :) P.S. Don't worry about Phil, he has not taken his pills today.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Check this out.

Friday

To put it simply Phil has this disease whereby he cant help swearing. Coprolalia is involuntary swearing or the involuntary utterance of obscene words or socially inappropriate and derogatory remarks. Coprolalia comes from the Greek ?????? meaning "feces" and ????? meaning "babbling, meaningless talk", from lalein, "to talk".[1] The term is often used as a clinomorphism, with 'compulsive profanity' inaccurately referred to as being Tourette syndrome.

In the use of email we call it "techno fw" disease. Or just plain "talking shit" Its easily picked up by those frustrated non literate technically devoid of brains persons trying to explain difficult situations.

Reply to
Jonno