Forward Voltage on Piezo Buzzer

I have just purchased some goods from Jaycar. One of them was a Dual Tone
Piezo buzzer (AB3456). It came with no spec so i have no idea who the
manufacturer is and what the forward voltage is. I am a newcomer to
electronics so am trying to work out the series resistor i need if using a
9v pp3 battery. Does anyone know how i can find this info out?

Regards,

Dave

Re: Forward Voltage on Piezo Buzzer

"DMC"

**  Jaycar have a web site.

 Can I wipe your nose for you too ?

.......   Phil

Re: Forward Voltage on Piezo Buzzer

Yeah, but not with the hand you use to wipe your bum. Oops, you haven't got
three hands.

Re: Forward Voltage on Piezo Buzzer

Well the website and the spec sheet say the "Operating Voltage" is 1-13
volts. I thought this meant it could be run on a power source of between 1
and 13 volts. Is this not distinct from a "voltage drop", as in what happens
when you used LED's, diodes, etc? Trying to work out the terminology. There
is no mention of a voltage drop in the spec. Maybe it is insignificant and I
don't need to worry? It also states a specified current of about 35 mA for
continuous tone, but even at 13 volts with specified resistor (370 Ohms) it
doesn't hit this current, which led me to think I may have to adjust for a
voltage drop?

Another nose wipe please enlightened one...

Re: Forward Voltage on Piezo Buzzer

"DMC"

** Do not top post.

    Very rude.

**  If you knew that already , then why the heading ??

**  Gobbledegook.

A "voltage  drop" is the term given to the voltage across a device (or
devices ) in a series string with reference to the supply voltage.

**  More gobbledegook.

 There is no specified resistor  -  you made that value up.

 Resistors are needed with LEDS to control and limit the current to a
desired value.

 But not with most other devices.

.......   Phil

Re: Forward Voltage on Piezo Buzzer

wanker...

Re: Forward Voltage on Piezo Buzzer

Check this out.

  http://members.iinet.com.au/~rutlidge/alanindex.html

Re: Forward Voltage on Piezo Buzzer
To put it simply Phil has this disease whereby he cant help swearing.
Coprolalia is involuntary swearing or the involuntary utterance of
obscene words or socially inappropriate and derogatory remarks.
Coprolalia comes from the Greek ?????? meaning "feces" and ????? meaning
"babbling, meaningless talk", from lalein, "to talk".[1] The term is
often used as a clinomorphism, with 'compulsive profanity' inaccurately
referred to as being Tourette syndrome.

In the use of email we call it "techno fw" disease.
Or just plain "talking shit" Its easily picked up by those frustrated
non literate technically devoid of brains persons trying to explain
difficult situations.

Re: Forward Voltage on Piezo Buzzer

Correct, it works on any voltage in this range.

It does not need (and should not have) a series resistor, simply
connect it across the voltage source. This mode of operation is
implied because it specifies an operating voltage, not an operating
current. It is a "voltage operated" device, and will in effect choose
and limit it's own current.

An LED on the other hand is a "current operated" device and has a
voltage drop for a given current, so to operate it from a voltage
source you need the correct value series resistor to give you the
required current. If you operated an LED from a current source you
would not need the series resistor.

Hope that helps.

Dave :)
P.S. Don't worry about Phil, he has not taken his pills today.

Re: Forward Voltage on Piezo Buzzer

As you're a newcomer you wouldn't have access to a variable power supply.
Suggest a few standard torch batteries concerted together and upping the
voltage till it starts to work. Also look up the specifications page in
the Jaycar catalogue would help you track it down.
Also a Google enquiry with this as the query AB3456 piezo buzzer jaycar

got this answer .
Jaycar Electronics Dealer. ... AB3456, BUZZER PIEZO MED 5-15V DC, $7.65.
AB3458, BUZZER PIEZO PCB 3-30V DC, $3.50

Use the computer Dave, dont play with it... (Grin!!!)
Further specs can be found on the JAYCAR catalogue site

Re: Forward Voltage on Piezo Buzzer

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?IDAB%3456

Dave :)

Re: Forward Voltage on Piezo Buzzer

"David L. Jones"
 "DMC

** Look who just wiped the little chappie's nose .....

.....   Phil

Site Timeline