Climbing a 540 metre transmitter antenna

There's no market for radio towers, they were usually self erecting: with the right gear you could use the tower to lower the section above to the ground until the lowest last section was left and lower it with a cable as it hinges off the base.

Reply to
Mark Harriss

I'll rephrase that: parts of the transmitter equipment (valves) were sold on Ebay after closing.

Reply to
Mark Harriss

!Hmm. I wonder what happened to the gear at Shepparton (Radio Aust). I last worked there in 1964 . I remember the PA tubes (F124A) used a combination of air and water cooling. I also remember having to replace the cable (wire rope) linkage from the front panel controls to the to the pa stage for tuning the PA stage. I discovered the frayed cable (the first since install in the 40's, so I ended up with the job of fixing it.

--
.Laurie.
Registered Linux user # 468070

Try this one

keithr

A rather different scenrio. A particular problem relates to descending too far when positioning immediately above a tower, which the pilot can't see.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Mark Harriss Inscribed thus:

I was starting to feel giddy just watching that. :-(

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

The guy who shot that footage wanted it taken down because he may lose his job over it:

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones

I saw that later on, I hope he's ok.....does he have much competition for that job?. It also shows how hard it can be to remove something from the net.

Reply to
Mark Harriss

his

Something like that would be near impossible to remove, its so unique and interesting, even to non tech people.

doing a search on "stairway to heaven tower climbing" brings 17 results on You Tube.

Reply to
kreed

What struck me is that although clear provision has been made for climbing most of it, there are places where doing so is unnecessarily difficult. You can see the climber trying different hand-holds, and even the final choice doesn't seem so secure. Climbing down at those places may be even more dangerous.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

I noticed that too.

at around 0.38 3.11 4.03 7.00 when he has to climb past that beacon to the top. There are other parts where there are no level hand holds, he is either using round or diamond shaped holes as hand holds, or diagonal struts. Not a really good thing IMHO.

Notice at the very top, the guy is actually not holding onto anything for support with hands for quite a bit of the time, especially when he is securing himself to the top of the mast.

I think the only part worse than this would have been the job of the guys who would have had to take up all the parts for and assemble the top sections.

Yes, Sylvia, up would be easier to do than down under those circumstances, unless you happen to have eyes in your feet ;)

Reply to
kreed

The antenna is only 20 metres. I climbed a 200 metre ABC TV tower once.

Reply to
Barry

You would have hope that the welds under the paint work on those pegs at the top were in good condition. When climbing masts on ships we always gave the peg above you a good hit to ensure good adhesion. We were also trained to use the side rails where possible when climbing a ladder and not the rungs for the same reason.

Reply to
Metro

Though the brackets are each held by two welds, and presumably both would have to fail before the rung would fall off.

I'd be more worried about a failure of the rung where it goes through the bracket.

Still, maybe there's a welder somewhere looking at the video and saying "Sheesh, I didn't know that was what it was for, and I'd had a lot to drink the previous night."

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Look once again. You will see pegs with one weld at the left hand side as he is climbs the spire at the very top

Reply to
Metro

I can't see it.

I'm using

Can you point to a specific second that shows what you mean?

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

AM broadcast towers are located in low lying swampy areas.

Reply to
Barry

The tower sections such as those in the clip are assembled at ground level, then lifted into place using a gin pole and a winch or perhaps a helicopter. The riggers then manouever the section into place and bolt it down, then move the gin pole to the next section.

Reply to
dmm

I.46 mins elapsed and 2.14 mins elapsed. I agree on watching the clip again the pegs are not quite the same at the very top. There he has to rely on a peg with one end threaded with a nut either side of the 'U' bracket. Something like a binding head bolt.

Reply to
Metro

ave

ed

ng

as

in

It does look exactly like a binding head bolt. They just look welded to me. Wouldn't want them to corrode.

Also those pegs don't look very wide at that first point. You wouldn't want big feet.

My feet are tingling just watching this :(

Reply to
kreed