Climbing a 540 metre transmitter antenna - Page 2

Re: Climbing a 540 metre transmitter antenna

Without a parachute the wait on the way down would be worse!

Re: Climbing a 540 metre transmitter antenna

Hmmm. Trip time is around 15 seconds. Some teenagers could send a
message to Twitter and update their Facebook page in that time.

Sylvia.

Re: Climbing a 540 metre transmitter antenna

Geez Mark, thanks for that (NOT)! My testes are hurting just from
watching this. Dunno why, maybe fear of heights?

I'm also wondering if they've heard of helicopters there.
Maybe it's like this cheaper because they're 'free' climbers :-)

Anyway, keeps 'em off the street I guess...

Re: Climbing a 540 metre transmitter antenna

job:http://www.koreus.com/video/reparer-antenne-540m.html #

Helicopters and towers haven't always been a good mixture. Freeclimbing
obviously has its risks, but I doubt any of these guys will die from
lack of exercise.

Sylvia.

Re: Climbing a 540 metre transmitter antenna

Try this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tzga6qAaBA

Re: Climbing a 540 metre transmitter antenna

A rather different scenrio. A particular problem relates to descending
too far when positioning immediately above a tower, which the pilot
can't see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jThg_yBmFkM

Sylvia.

Re: Climbing a 540 metre transmitter antenna

Mark Harriss Inscribed thus:

I was starting to feel giddy just watching that. :-(

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Re: Climbing a 540 metre transmitter antenna

The guy who shot that footage wanted it taken down because he may lose his
job over it:
http://www.theonlineengineer.org/TheOLEBLOG /

Dave.

Re: Climbing a 540 metre transmitter antenna

I saw that later on, I hope he's ok.....does he have much
competition for that job?. It also shows how hard it can
be to remove something from the net.

Re: Climbing a 540 metre transmitter antenna

Something like that would be near impossible to remove, its so unique
and interesting, even to non tech people.

doing a search on  "stairway to heaven tower climbing"  brings 17
results on You Tube.

Re: Climbing a 540 metre transmitter antenna

What struck me is that although clear provision has been made for
climbing most of it, there are places where doing so is unnecessarily
difficult. You can see the climber trying different hand-holds, and even
the final choice doesn't seem so secure. Climbing down at those places
may be even more dangerous.

Sylvia.

Re: Climbing a 540 metre transmitter antenna

I noticed that too.

at around 0.38  3.11  4.03  7.00 when he has to climb past that beacon
to the top.
There are other parts where there are no level hand holds, he is
either using round or diamond shaped holes as hand holds, or
diagonal struts.  Not a really good thing IMHO.

Notice at the very top, the guy is actually not holding onto anything
for support with hands for quite a bit of the time, especially when he
is securing himself to the top of the mast.

I think the only part worse than this would have been the job of the
guys who would have had to take up all the parts for and assemble the
top sections.

Yes, Sylvia, up would be easier to do than down under those
circumstances, unless you happen to have eyes in your feet ;)

Re: Climbing a 540 metre transmitter antenna

The tower sections such as those in the clip are assembled at ground
level, then lifted into  place using a gin pole and a winch or perhaps
a helicopter. The riggers then manouever the section into place and
bolt it down, then move the gin pole to the next section.

Re: Climbing a 540 metre transmitter antenna

You would have hope that the welds under the paint work on those pegs at the
top were in good condition. When climbing masts on ships we always gave the
peg above you a good hit to ensure good adhesion. We were also trained to
use the side rails where possible when climbing a ladder and not the rungs
for the same reason.

Re: Climbing a 540 metre transmitter antenna

Though the brackets are each held by two welds, and presumably both
would have to fail before the rung would fall off.

I'd be more worried about a failure of the rung where it goes through
the bracket.

Still, maybe there's a welder somewhere looking at the video and saying
"Sheesh, I didn't know that was what it was for, and I'd had a lot to
drink the previous night."

Sylvia.

Re: Climbing a 540 metre transmitter antenna

Look once again. You will see pegs with one weld at the left hand side as he
is climbs the spire at the very top

Re: Climbing a 540 metre transmitter antenna

I can't see it.

I'm using

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g79byk4ytxg

Can you point to a specific second that shows what you mean?

Sylvia.

Re: Climbing a 540 metre transmitter antenna

I.46 mins elapsed and 2.14 mins elapsed. I agree on watching the clip again
the pegs are not quite the same at the very top. There he has to rely on a
peg with one end threaded with a nut either side of the 'U' bracket.
Something like a binding head bolt.

Re: Climbing a 540 metre transmitter antenna

It does look exactly like a binding head bolt. They just look welded
to me.
Wouldn't want them to corrode.

Also those pegs don't look very wide at that first point. You wouldn't
want big feet.

My feet are tingling just watching this :(

Re: Climbing a 540 metre transmitter antenna

Ok, yes, those could be welded on. Indeed, there's a degree of
non-uniformity where they are attached, which boths suggests they're
welded, and raises questions about qualify control.

I'll just tell my agent not to book me for work on that tower.

Sylvia.

Site Timeline