Recommended USB-C SSD drive?

Any recommendation for an SSD drive for a Raspberry Pi 4B? Must be USB-C, of course, but capacity not critical. Seems that 256 GB is likely the sweet spot for value per GB.

Thanks!

--
Cheers,
David

Why should the drive 'of course' be USB-C? The Pi 4 has USB-A host ports - its USB-C port is only for power.

If you want to plug it into a laptop with USB-C fair enough, but you'll need an A-to-C adaptor to use it with a Pi.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

On 30 Jun 2019 13:40:08 +0100 (BST), Theo declaimed the following:

For some reason I have a feeling that was supposed to be USB-3

	wlfraed@ix.netcom.com    http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/
Reply to
Dennis Lee Bieber

USB 3.0, of course.

--
Cheers,
David
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David Taylor

The USB C connector is only used to provide power to the Pi. Get a standard 2.5" SATA SSD and a USB3 to SATA cable.

---druck

Reply to
druck

Apparently it also does usb-otg, like the Zero, but you would need a port that delivers ~2.5 A.

Reply to
A. Dumas

Or, if you need another disk, maybe just get a WD Essentials USB drive. They have USB3 connectivity to an USB-A socket and come in 1 or 2 TB capacity. I'm using them for backups (both weekly with rsync and daily with rsnapshot) and so far they just work and are a lot smaller than an RPI4.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

is

The WD's aren't SSDs though.

I have a couple of Samsung/Maxtor 1TB USB3 drives, but they are only USB3, they aren't a SATA drive with a converter in the case. SO you can't just disconnect the USB to SATA converter and put them in a fast SATA duplicator.

---druck

Reply to
druck

I remember Maxtor from back in the noughties. Real junk sold by PC World. Back then their disks had a working life of little more a year before they died of progressive paralysis. Never quite deed completely - just got agonisingly slow, so fortunately I was always able to make a final transfer to a new disk. I have to admit it took longer than it should have for me to realise how bad they were, to stop buying them and switch to better brands.

I hope their current stuff is *much* better than that. It needs to be.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

[Snip]

Maxtor is just a Samsung brand now. I bought the Samsung 1TB USB3 drive about 4 years ago, when I looked for an another one, I couldn't find it again, but there was an identical looking Maxtor. I bought that, and it's exactly the same internals.

---druck

Reply to
druck

ITYM Maxtor is a Seagate brand. Seagate also has the rights to the Samsung brand for HDD, but Samsung SSDs are made by Samsung themselves. Seagate have a separate range of their own SSDs (although not really in the consumer space).

Theo

Reply to
Theo

I stand corrected, thanks.

BTW both drives have behaved perfectly, being rotated as a NAS drive attached to my router, and it's off line backup.

---druck

Reply to
druck

Am 30.06.19 um 12:55 schrieb David Taylor:

her a link for a bord

dears peter

Reply to
Peter Kiederich