Re: Raspberry Pi case with LED lightpipes

FYI this case looks interesting in that it brings the Pi's LEDs to the

> outside!

the Multicomp cases (Farnell etc) have a tunnel (which works, but poorly)

the clear version could have had a light-pipe instead, the designer missed that opportunity.

and the Teko cases have al half-hearted attempt as a light pipe.

the pipes are avout 1.5mm long and the rest is solid clear plastic, these cases are hard to reopen without damage.

"Pi-Bow" could have had a light-pipe cut from clear acrylic

> > All prices include postage. It beats me that some people are willing to pay > much more for a case when there are such good value cases available.

it seems that there are more and more cases available every day.

--
For a good time: install ntp
Reply to

don't need to have bought in to Amazon's delivery to get free postage.

James

Reply to
James Harris

Keep superglue fumes away from optics though, plastic lenses especially! Lenses turning white and giving your HD Camera cateracts is no use :(

Mike Brown: mjb[-at-]signal11.org.uk  |    http://www.signal11.org.uk
Reply to
Mike

Fortunately the superglue will be mostly on the inside of the case and the lens peeks out to the outside. Only a very small amount of glue is required (e.g. 3 small specks).

Reply to
Rob

Its probably still a good idea to protect the lightpipe surfaces: try putting cling-film over them: apart from anything else, cyanoacrylate[*] doesn't stick to it.

[*] The generic name for so-called 'superglues' is cyanoacrylate, aka cyano or cya. "Superglue" is just the tradmark used on the first, severely weakened, cyanoacrylate glues to be generally available to the public. If you want a much better glue, visit your local model shop of buy the stuff online. Go for Zap, Hot Stuff or Grip: I prefer ZAP. Its stockists also sell accelerator for use with Zap CA (see below) and debonder, which dissolves the cyano and is a near essential for releasing stuck fingers.

The standard Zap is very runny, sets very much faster than the rather anaemic Superglue and is a lot stronger, but be careful because its extremely good at gluing fingers together. It cannot and will not act as a gap filler: surfaces to be glued must fit well.

Zap CA is thicker, can be used as a gap filler and takes more like 10-15 seconds to set, so you get a bit of repositioning time.

BTW: the reason cyano sticks fingers so well is that it was originally developed as a medical glue. Moisture on the surfaces being joined catalyses its setting. This is also why the stuff will let go sooner or later if used outside or where the finished glue joint can get wet: a good medical glue should quietly dissolve and vanish once the would it closed has healed and cyano is a very good medical glue. It your work is likely to get wet, a lick of paint, model dope or nail varnish will keep water away from the cyano. I've been using cyano for building and repairing model aircraft since it first came on the market and 5 minute epoxy, which is often preferable because it has several minutes working time compared with the seconds you get from cyano, before that. 5 minute epoxy is often my first choice unless I'm in a real hurry because its generally rather easier to work with than cyano.

Apologies if this has got too close to TL:DR size, but I hope its useful info for at least some of you.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Read it with interest.

Reply to
A. Dumas

I used the term superglue because most people probably know what I am referring to, and indeed it is cyanoacrylate. The specific brands under which it is sold probably vary a lot by country. The one I used is branded "Bison".

I would not worry about the lightpipes. They are just there to show the LED status and they will work whether they are opaque or not.

The camera lens is covered by a small sticker upon delivery, it would be wise to keep that on until the glue has settled.

Reply to
Rob

You'd glue it to something before you had tested it?

Reply to
Rob Morley

lightpipes work on the principle of total internal refraction if the surface is not smooth they leak. (probaly not a big deal on short pipes)

--
For a good time: install ntp
Reply to

Well, at least I did. It is not expensive and it would be risky too to fiddle with the uncased Pi and dangling camera to see if it works.

Reply to
Rob

And it's only a little bit wrong.

Alan Braggins

These lightpipes are just molded perspex. Nothing very high-tech.

Reply to
Rob

As far as the history goes, I was quoting from the Hunter brothers, whose Hotstuff brand was, I think, the first retail brand that sold cyano in small (5-10ml) quantities. I certainly knew about it before the so-called "Superglue" appeared on non-hobby retail stores in smaller packs and similar or higher prices per pack than Hotstuff.

BTW, don't use nitromethane as a debonder unless you really can't get anything else. Like all organic nitro compounds, nitromethane is readily absorbed through the skin and is moderately harmful to your liver.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

It still works on same principle, and the first light pipe aka poor performance fibre optic was demonstrated I believe and patented in Ireland around 1860's using candle, bucket with glass panel and hole for water to escape out the other side.

    PC Services
  Raspberry Pi Add-ons
 Timing Diagram Font
  GNU H8 - compiler & Renesas H8/H8S/H8 Tiny
 For those web sites you hate
Reply to
Paul

Sure, but the key phrase here is "internal reflection" and I bet the moulded sides are nice and shiny. If you do something that makes the sides of the lightpipe non-reflective such as 'smoothing' them with sandpaper or using some reagent that attacks the surface, then to a first approximation the only light to come out the end will be photons that have gone the full length of the pipe without being reflected off the walls.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Acetone is far easier to obtain and 100% effective IF you can keep the CA soaked in it long enough.

the main problem is that it evaporates too fast.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc?-ra-cy) ? a system of government where the least capable to
diminishing number of producers.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Would methyl ethyl ketone (a.k.a. butanone, MEK) work? It's less volatile than acetone.

Philip.

--
Philip Draper

    Philip@borehamh.demon.co.uk
Reply to
Philip Draper

Acetone should be OK to unstick fingers or get cya off a finger, but make very sure there's none left on your bench or fingers before you touch the Pi case because acetone and/or its vapour may attack the lightpipe or the case.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

IIUC, in some areas acetone is getting more difficult to buy, because the methheads use it in the process to make their poison.

--
Robert Riches
spamtrap42@jacob21819.net

Talking of cases - I would like one that was larger than the pi with short cables that would bring all the pi connectors out to a common backpanel. Having them at all points of the compass is a bit of a pain.

--
Regards
Dave Saville