"Pushing" PC display to Pi running raspbmc

I don't understand how on earth you expect to have a GUI on a PI without installing X...
well your information has been...sparse and comflicting.
Let's start again, How do you intend g to display a Windows GUI on a machine with no graphics capability at all?
--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc?-ra-cy) ? a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
He didn't say no graphics capability at all, he just said without X :p
Reply to
Guesser
vnc?
I am using rdesktop on the pi right now to display the screen (or, as a terminal) to a Linux pc. The pi screen displays what is on the pc, I have to use a magic key escape to go back to the pi.
But it is a decade since I dealt extensively with windows.
-- mrr
Reply to
Morten Reistad
You probably do this every time you boot a Linux system, in the form of the Tux/whatever graphics that display with the boot loader, before X gets started. Run the console framebuffer image viewer "fbi" for an example of non-X graphics.
Reply to
Rob Morley
Possibly, yes.
If it runs on raspbmc, yes!
OK, that's something to prod at. Thanks.
deKay
--
  Lofi Gaming - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk
  Gaming Diary - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary
  Lofi Gaming - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk
  Gaming Diary - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
deKay
Well, I was hoping the subject of the post made that clear. Raspbmc is a requirement as that's what I'm using.
That I know, but "cut" was X.
deKay
--
  Lofi Gaming - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk
  Gaming Diary - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
deKay
Thanks. I did manage to get VLC to capture the screen and stream it to another PC (also running VLC), but I've no idea how to get raspbmc to "see" the stream I'm sending, or what codecs/formats/settings to use to get to work as well as I can...
deKay
--
  Lofi Gaming - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk
  Gaming Diary - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
deKay
I don't. I don't need a GUI on the Pi, although raspbmc offers one without X, so...
No. I intend to display a Windows (or Mac) display using raspbmc on the Pi as essentially a remote monitor. I don't need it to do anything but display it. I can send video files, pictures, music, etc. to it already - I just want to "send" my desktop in some way too. The Pi can see my desktop as nothing more than a video stream for all I care.
deKay
--
  Lofi Gaming - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk
  Gaming Diary - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
deKay
Indeed. And until i started this thread I wasn't aware raspbmc didn't have X, so it threw up another spanner.
deKay
--
  Lofi Gaming - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk
  Gaming Diary - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
deKay
But it's based on Raspbian which does include X, so adding it again shouldn't be too big a deal.
Reply to
Rob Morley
There are VNC servers for Windows.
Ian
Reply to
The Real Doctor
There are even X servers for Windows. :-)
Reply to
Rob Morley
Yes but how many applications are compiled for windows that use X for their display rendering?
I think I've seen precisely two: xterm and xclock ;)
Reply to
Guesser
last time I wantted to run a VNC server on a MAC I found that it was a standard OSX compoent, already built in, and just needed to be activated.
--
?? 100% natural
Reply to

Cheers,

John.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Rumm
This solution will not suit you but it may suit somebody as it's what works here:
W7-64 running TightVNC service.
Rasp.Pi running RISC OS and Avalanche:
Once set-up, you can use a URL to launch it: e.g. vnc://192.168.7.10
On the other hand, I think the OP needs to be able to encode his desktop display into a video stream that xbmc understands. Googling that isn't encouraging but it does seem to be possible for VLC to stream files for xbmc
--
from Tim Hill who welcomes incoming email to tim at timil dot com.
* Share in a better energy supplier: http://tjrh.eu/coopnrg
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Hill
It is, yes. This is what I've pursued.
I can get VLC to create a video stream of my desktop, and I can get another computer on my network to play, in VLC, that stream (by opening http://mypcip/stream).
What I can't manage is any way of getting raspbmc to do anything with it. I try putting that URL in a playlist file - nothing happens. Try a link - nothing. Literally nothing.
deKay
--
  Lofi Gaming - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk
  Gaming Diary - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
deKay
I found one site which talked about using VLC to convert a file on the fly for delivery to xbmc as a stream via http. Not quite what you are after but if you can substitute 'desktop' for 'file'...?
from Tim Hill who welcomes incoming email to tim at timil dot com.
* Share in a better energy supplier: http://tjrh.eu/coopnrg
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Hill
Aha! That's exactly what I tried, but without knowing the "XMBC side" bit at the bottom to actually get the Pi playing the stream! Thanks.
deKay