Is there a Raspbian update problem today (7/6/19)?

Re: Is there a Raspbian update problem today (7/6/19)? By: Martin Gregorie to All on Fri Jun 07 2019 04:56 pm

There's something wrong with your internets or some of their servers were down? Those 'network is unreachable' messages are telling.

You may wish to try doing a traceroute or telnet to port 80 to those hosts from that device and see where you get.

Reply to
Adam Clark

Is anybody else seeing this failure when trying to upgrade your system? Its been a 'thing' here since around 15:00 today, 7/6/19, for the last

4-5 hours:

# apt-get update Ign:1

stretch InRelease Err:2
stretch Release Cannot initiate the connection to raspbian.raspberrypi.org:80 (93.93.128.193). - connect (101: Network is unreachable) [IP:

93.93.128.193 80] Ign:3
stretch InRelease Err:4
stretch Release Cannot initiate the connection to archive.raspberrypi.org:80 (46.235.227.11). - connect (101: Network is unreachable) [IP: 46.235.227.11 80] Reading package lists... Done E: The repository '
stretch Release' does no longer have a Release file. N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default. N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details. E: The repository '
stretch Release' does no longer have a Release file. N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default. N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.

Is there a known work-round?

Possibly related:

- two Fridays ago the update worked, but only picked up 4-5 packages

- last Friday the update worked but no updates were available

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

Apparently you have network troubles reaching the update servers located in London at mythic-beasts.com

Can you traceroute to them from your location? Can you open up the IP addresses in a browser on your desktop from your location?

I don't seem to have any problems here at this time. status.mythic-beasts.com page doesn't show any recent incidents.

But it seems your issues are network related more than anything else.

--
Doug McIntyre
doug@themcintyres.us

Same thing happened to me yesterday. Tried again about 30 minutes later and it was fine. I suggest you try it a few more times (after a coffee break) before you start trying to isolate a network issue.

Reply to
ray carter

Re: Re: Is there a Raspbian update problem today (7/6/19)? By: Martin Gregorie to Adam Clark on Sat Jun 08 2019 02:55 pm

I thought this might be appropriate ... ;)

---------------

Roy Trenneman: [picking up the phone] Hello, IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? Uh... okay, well, the button on the side, is it glowing? Yeah, you need to turn it on... uh, the button turns it on... yeah, you do know how a button works don't you? No, not on clothes.

Maurice Moss: [picking up the phone] Hello, IT... Have you tried forcing an unexpected reboot?

Roy: No, no there you go, no there you go. I just heard it come on... no, no, that's the music you heard when it come on... no, that's the music you hear when... I'm sorry, are you from the past?

Moss: See the driver hooks a function by patching the system call table, so it's not safe to unload it unless another thread's about to jump in there and do its stuff, and you don't want to end up in the middle of invalid memory! [chuckle] Hello?

Roy: Oh really? Then why don't you come down and make me then. Huh, what you think I'm afraid of you? I'm not afraid of you. You can come down here any time and I'll be waiting for you! [slams down phone] I told her!

Reply to
Ernest J Gainey Iii

A neigbour whose laptops I look after ended up after what might have been a power cut with an unstable installation upgrade system

I ended up manually upgrading each package mentioned, one at a time - this cleared it all.

Its not precisely relevant to this post, but it is a trick to bear in mind if you end up with a partially upgraded system.

foolish, and by the rulers as useful.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I should have said that Internet access from my other Fedora-based laptop and PC were working as normal and that Firefox was able to display the files and directories containing raspbian packages on mythic beasts.

Anyway, I left the RPi running until a few minutes ago, when I logged onto it and found nothing had changed - I was still unable to update the system. Then I discovered that hosts on my LAN could be accessed from the RPi but that nothing outside my ADSL router was visible.

At that point I rebooted it and retried the update. The RPi has now updated itself successfully. Its now running normally after a post-update reboot and is accessing the 'net as normal, so I'm completely baffled by its failure to update itself yesterday.

Maybe it took a hit from a high energy particle after I'd booted it yesterday which flipped a few bits. Who knows.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org