What does the missing thermistor do? (PC power supply)

I have some 350W Fortron-Sparkle model FSP-350BU PSUs with empty spots where a thermistor and fixed resistor would normally be connected in series, and I'd like to know their purpose. I think that they connect this way:

Capacitor C10 and pin 18 are on the small vertical circuit board (beneath the removed fan controller board in the photo below) housing the Fairchild KA3511DS PSU controller chip, and according to the datasheet at

www.ortodoxism.ro/datasheets/fairchild/KA3511.pdf

pin 18 is the Extra Protection (EP) input, which, when its voltage goes high enough, is supposed to shut down the PSU. In other words, this seems to rule out the thermistor being used as a overheat sensor because the pin 18 is low anyway in normal operation.

Here are where the missing resistor and thermistor are located (circled in red):

This thermistor is not for fan speed control -- that's handled by another thermistor (next to the screw on the heatsink, higher up in the picture).

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

On 7 Jan 2006 19:52:47 -0800, "larry moe 'n curly" put finger to keyboard and composed:

I suspect the PT (extra protection) input may be a current sensing input. I don't understand the purpose of the thermistor, though, unless it is there to derate the PSU at higher temperatures.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar