VCR damaged by AC overvoltage surge

Another out of interest comment is that I had one of these cheap DVD players with exactly those symptoms and replacing caps restored it to perfect working condition despite 19 V on the 12 V line, or was it the

5 V line? Chips are tough. :)

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

Years ago I had a TTL logic board in a video game that would only run if the

5V supply was cranked up to around 7.5V. Ran it like that for years, never did find the marginal part(s).
Reply to
James Sweet

Except when it's important for them to be !! I reckon that you fell into the "lucky 50%" with that one, Sam. The next one you have like it, might well put you into the unlucky 50% ... Boy, can those fried chips take the skin off your fingertips :-(

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

quite apart from the fact that you're limited pretty much to second hand vcrs these days, so 'shopping for a new one' isn't really an option, I find this sort of comment unhelpful. This is supposed to be a repair newsgroup. As others have said, you seem to be very quick to make such comments Jerry. This is sad really, as it reflects a consumer /throwaway mentality which is against the spirit of this group. In this case, we're talking about a commonly-seen psu failure with a relatively straightforward repair procedure . At least lets see what happens after the cap is changed before condemning an otherwise good unit!

B.